Stationary Bike Owwies

Options
I have the padded shorts and best gel seat I could find. My tailbone still KILLS me after 10mins and after my 30mins on the bike I literally need to be carried off it and sat on the couch because I CANNOT move my butt hurts so badly. HELP?!

Replies

• Tiggerrick
    Tiggerrick Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Seat angle might be wrong. Also, get as much weight off the saddle as possible when peddaling (works out the legs more too). Sometimes, too soft a seat can cause odd pressure points.
  • Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I can't change the angle or height of the seat, and if I take my butt off the seat and try to peddle then the bike starts to lean over and I am scared it will tip.
  • davidpm
    davidpm Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    crank up the resistance and stand up to do a hill climb for 1-2 minutes. Give your butt a break and work the legs harder! :)
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    How long have you been using it? It took me a good 2 weeks or so to get used to the spin bikes at my gym. I don't have padded shorts, but I do have a memory foam seat pad. If it's your own personal stationary bike and it has a regular bike seat on it, you might try getting a women's comfort saddle from your local bike store and see if you can mount it on your stationary bike. If you've only been using your bike for a few days, though, just give it some time...you'll get used to it. Make sure everything is adjusted properly, too. Poor adjustments can cause LOTS of weird pains!!
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Padded shorts and gel seat are redundant, from what I've experienced. Choose one or the other and your fanny will get used to it.
  • Dexy_
    Options
    I've been using it everyday for little over a month now, and davidpm as I said if I stand on the bike and try to peddle the bike sways and I REALLY don't want to fall off!
  • Arabian♥Breeze
    Options
    My stationary bike has a huge seat even when i was at 270 pounds i fit it comfortable plus it has a huge back rest its like a chair. and the bike has a fan. I found it at a garage sale for 20bucks I FEEL SO LUCKY! i think you should start saving up for a new bike. THERE ARE COMFY ONES OUT THERE!!! i love my bike.. my pics show my bike its helped me shed 40 pounds and 80 more to go!!! its great!
  • andra55906
    Options
    Try splitting your 30 minutes into two 15-minute increments or three 10-minute increments. You get the same benefits but may cause less stress on your tailbone.
  • Dexy_
    Options
    I can only do one workout a day, if I do more than one (even if that one is only 10mins) then I get far too tired and can never finish the second one. I AM working on it, but to make sure I get 30mins of exercise a day, I need to do it in one hit.
  • Dexy_
    Options
    Oh and I would do exercise other than my bike but I can't leave my lounge room, can't jump around, can't use the TV or afford a treadmill. Oh, the joys of motherhood.
  • heidiscool
    Options
    Double sanitary pads. Sounds crazy but it works. I do that for spin class and their seats are MURDER!
  • woo1324
    woo1324 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I was the same for the first month or so but now it doesnt hurt at all i actually had big black bruises on my butt , i think eventually you get used to it , i also use mine everyday so that might have helped with how quick i got used to it
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    it took me two weeks, but I swear I didn't even notice the seat after that.
  • wamaverick
    wamaverick Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    To help alleviate the soreness in your buttocks I use the Sun Goddess Yoga pose. Its a wee bit uncomfortable at first but then you can feel it start to stretch those sore spots out a bit. I took a spin class and then did Yoga one time after wards and it saved my hiney from hurting so bad. Your hiney does get use to it...eventually!
  • Troy67
    Troy67 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    My stationary bike has a huge seat even when i was at 270 pounds i fit it comfortable plus it has a huge back rest its like a chair. and the bike has a fan. I found it at a garage sale for 20bucks I FEEL SO LUCKY! i think you should start saving up for a new bike. THERE ARE COMFY ONES OUT THERE!!! i love my bike.. my pics show my bike its helped me shed 40 pounds and 80 more to go!!! its great!

Yeah, I bought mine used as well. It is an older Schwinn stationary bike and the saddle is nice and big. If I go over 90 minutes it starts to get a little tender but usually have no problems. Have you tried switching to a different seat?
  • helper1112
    helper1112 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I tried different seats and that was not helping. I finally went out and got a recumbent bike which sits more like a chair. I am able to ride that for a long time with no soreness. It is a Macy brand and it was fairly cheap.

Hope this helps.
  • Troy67
    Troy67 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    helper,
    I sold my regular bicycle for outside riding and bought a recumbent trike to ride. No stress on back, knees, etc and so nice to ride. If my stationary ever breaks I am going to go the recumbent for that route as you suggested.
  • afrazier128
    afrazier128 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    helper,
    I sold my regular bicycle for outside riding and bought a recumbent trike to ride. No stress on back, knees, etc and so nice to ride. If my stationary ever breaks I am going to go the recumbent for that route as you suggested.

I know this thread is a couple of weeks old, but since I'm getting a stationary bike, I'm glad to have found it. It's good to know that with your experience you've not had the stress on the knees. I have (at different times) torn the meniscus in both knees, so easy-does-it with the exercise on my knees is essential for me to be able to stick with it!

Thank you!
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem.

I did the London-Brighton bike ride (58 miles) on my trusty old mountain bike with no discomfort at all, yet the bikes at the gym crucify my butt after just a few minutes, and after about 15 minutes I'm walking like John Wayne!

I've had to change to the recumbent bike - when I first started at the gym, at my heaviest weight, I couldn't use it because I had just too much belly, but now I'm comfortable on it.

I know they say 'no pain, no gain' but that's a real pain in the ***!
  • dansing83
    dansing83 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you may need a new bike. you can get stationary bikes pretty cheap on craigslist or from garage sales. I picked on up for $20. You might also try used sporting goods stores. There's almost no reason to stay with a bike that hurts you.