running technique

hiya

i think my running technique is pretty poor and leads to me getting calf pain after 2mins of running - i think its my technique because it happens in about 7/10 runs that i do.

i was looking for any suggestions or tip on technique or even any good articles on this - i have considered googling this but i am not sure i would be reading accurate storys.

Thanks
x

Replies

• Check out your library for Chi Running. It has a lot of good information about posture and body position. They also have a website, but I started with the book. I am not a great runner but when I started trying to incorporate some of their stuff, I quit getting shin splints. I ran all summer without any injuries. Oh, except for being tired and falling on my face!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    Have a look at Runner's World or Cool Running - they have lots of good info.
    And do you need new shoes? That might make a difference too.
  • thanks for the replies

i have new shoes - and i allso got new orthopedic insoles as well - as they shoe change did not help - i got these both from an approved running store

will have a look at the sites and see what happens

thanks
  • tracysway
    tracysway Posts: 67 Member
    Are you stretching? Drinking enough water? Getting enough potassium? I had the same problem. I stretch my calf muscles before and I dont seem to having the same problem.
  • beccalucy
    beccalucy Posts: 250 Member
    Stretching helped me initially with my leg pain but also making sure I engage my core, hold my shoulders back so I'm breathing properly.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Are you stretching? Drinking enough water? Getting enough potassium? I had the same problem. I stretch my calf muscles before and I dont seem to having the same problem.

I wouldn't expect hydration or nutrition issues to be a factor after 2 minutes of running.

Are you able to run through it or does it stop you dead in your tracks?
  • tracysway
    tracysway Posts: 67 Member
    if your body is already depleted, the 2 minutes of running could be too much
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member

I wouldn't expect hydration or nutrition issues to be a factor after 2 minutes of running.

Are you able to run through it or does it stop you dead in your tracks?

Potassium deficiency can cause cramping in the calves even without exertion...I used to have that (felt like charlie horses all the time) and finally found a supplement with enough potassium to help me.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Both times that I've had unmanageable issues with leg pain, it's been my shoes.

Manageable leg pain, I've been able to alter my form to relieve it.

Chi Running is really good. I also recommend the book.

Are you landing on your heels, midfoot or forefoot? Landing on your heels is not good.
    When you are running are you reaching with your front foot or are you pushing your feet behind you? Your center of gravity should be slightly forward and you should be pushing your feet out behind you.