studying?

Options
I'm coming into exam time and study week usually means no time for exercise + lots of trips to the fridge..... how do you avoid putting on lbs when studying?!

Replies

• catgirl711
    Options
    Lot's of water, fruits and veggies. Get rid of the crap that you like snacking on and get some better stuff. That's what I do. just don't have the crap in the fridge.
  • megan6709
    megan6709 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Keep healthy stuff on hand - like pre-cut vegetables. Sometimes the convenience is the biggest factor.
    Plan snacks into studying time-wise.
    Take breaks from studying so you are not eating because you are bored (or your mind is exhausted).
    Get enough sleep.

Good luck!
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    If I need to snack, I'll snack on raisins...I dont know why, but I love raisins and I snack on that so I dont have to eat anything else. As far as working out, I still do it. I might not be able to go to the gym, but when I take a 10 minute break in between studying, I do jumping jacks, maybe some situps and pushups, some squats. And I break very often during hours of studying so I would do 10 minutes of workout at least during 3 of my breaks ( and wala I have 30 minute workout squeezed in there)...

But if I am in the library on campus all day and all night.....then I wont workout but I do carry raisins, green tea, and water :)
  • Bellyroll
    Bellyroll Posts: 316
    Options
    Have you thought about studying on a treadmill I have done it before works wonders.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    You could always "save" some calories for the end of the night when you know you'll be studying. Otherwise, drink tea, chew gum, or snack on fruits and vegetables. For some reason I have an inability to eat while I study- I end up just focusing on food! I guess it's a blessing in disguise.
  • mznisaelaine
    Options
    Have you thought about studying on a treadmill I have done it before works wonders.

^^ This. How could I forget this...I bring my notes and flashcards while on the elliptical...
  • AppleJuiceMoney
    Options

^^ This. How could I forget this...I bring my notes and flashcards while on the elliptical...

really??? don't you get distracted or not work as hard on the treadmill? amazing!
  • mznisaelaine
    Options

really??? don't you get distracted or not work as hard on the treadmill? amazing!

Honestly, I am more focused on the elliptical lol but I do manage to study a little.
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Try some healthy protein snacks, like walnuts or almonds. By all means, give yourself study breaks, even if that means getting out to walk around for five minutes. Your brain will appreciate the break and you will remember more! Also, don't forget to sleep and eat regular meals. In the long run, you'll do better on your exams. Wishing you success!
  • jchester71
    jchester71 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    1. Healthy snacks. And control the portions, in the kitchen, don't try to do it at your desk. (II am especially partial to grapes when studying.)

2. Still go to the gym. Get up early to do it. I work 20 hours a week at my secular Job, about 20 hours in ministry, and 3 hours a week of tutoring. Additionally I am a full time seminary student, my semester reading load was 10,000+ pages this semester, plus 3 research papers (graduate level), 3 Hebrew Exegesis projects (~18 pages each) and 5 Greek exegesis projects (~15 pages each). And my wife has MS so I do all of the shopping, cooking, dog walking etc. If I can get to the gym 5 days a week so can you.

3. Study at the gym. If you are doing cardio without a book or flash cards you are missing a golden opportunity to redeem time.
  • AppleJuiceMoney
    Options
    1. Healthy snacks. And control the portions, in the kitchen, don't try to do it at your desk. (II am especially partial to grapes when studying.)

2. Still go to the gym. Get up early to do it. I work 20 hours a week at my secular Job, about 20 hours in ministry, and 3 hours a week of tutoring. Additionally I am a full time seminary student, my semester reading load was 10,000+ pages this semester, plus 3 research papers (graduate level), 3 Hebrew Exegesis projects (~18 pages each) and 5 Greek exegesis projects (~15 pages each). And my wife has MS so I do all of the shopping, cooking, dog walking etc. If I can get to the gym 5 days a week so can you.

3. Study at the gym. If you are doing cardio without a book or flash cards you are missing a golden opportunity to redeem time.

Holy wow! do you sleep?!
  • jchester71
    jchester71 Posts: 124 Member
    Options

Holy wow! do you sleep?!

I sleep about 5 hours a night during the week and about 9 on the weekends. Which isn't much, but I get by (and I am betting i am a lot older than you.)
  • Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Make time to work out, go for a hike, bike, walk, whatever you like to do! You will NOT be effective at studying if all you do is study. I am also a student.
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    You gals are awsome!!! You gotta work it in cause being healthy and studying for exams is easier than being heathy and having a professional career and/or a family. So run the stairs every hour, do 10 jumping jacks when you go potty, reward yoursle for studying with healthy snacks and make healthy reminder flash cards too (to remind you of your goals - like looking great over winter break). Sleep is the key. You'll remember more, focus better, learn faster, and stay healthier if you're rested. And removing sugar will give you so much more even energy! Good luck with exams! You got this!
  • risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I'm going through this right now too!! It seems that my late night studying is made easier if I have something to snack on... Lately, not today, but during this past week I've snacked on veggies with jalapeno yogurt dip or an apple with PB2 peanut butter. I had to give up my ice cream because I'm trying to shed to last few lbs. Good luck to you!!
  • risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    Options

Also, he's got it right! I take my notes with me on the treadmill. I can't run or anything otherwise I can't read my papers, but I can up the incline and speed quite a bit and still study. The reading takes so much concentration that my 45 min is up before I know it.
  • splackk
    splackk Posts: 163
    Options

Holy wow! do you sleep?!

I sleep about 5 hours a night during the week and about 9 on the weekends. Which isn't much, but I get by (and I am betting i am a lot older than you.)

Wow, you've got some dedication! I've seen your posts around the boards and it's amazing how much you handle. I push myself to get a ton done during the day but unless I get 8 hours of sleep I'm a zombie the next day, and I've realized over time it's more productive for me to sleep the full 8 hours and have a bit less time to do everything I need than to do everything only halfway because I can't keep my eyes open haha, I wish I could get anything done on that!

To OP, I'll second the study while working out. I took a huge test a few weeks back I'd been studying for months for, and the week before the test asked my SO to go for walks with me while quizzing me off my note cards. 3 in 1, studying, working out, and spending time with the SO, score! Get creative with it too, pump bottles of water in your arms between turning pages, prop up your book and do squats, you can do it! Aside from just keeping healthy snacks prepared, I'd also say plan your intake completely in advance by several days. Log everything days in advance. You'll be busy on the books and not want to waste the time changing your food intake from how it's set, I'm always more likely to stick to it when it's pre-logged and I know I won't have much opportunity to change it.
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options

Dedication. :laugh: I wouldn't be able to do that myself.