CHEAP healthy snacks??

Options
Dexy_
Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
I find it so hard to find healthy snacks. I KNOW I should make things fresh or buy them fresh but it's so expensive and they usually go off before they're eaten. Does anyone know of any processed/packaged foods that are at ALL healthy? I'm doubting it but worth a shot, right?

Replies

• missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I like the Praeventia Chocolate/Red Wine Cookies from Costco
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Buy in bulk! Make your own protein bars. Look for sales.
    That's what I do :D
  • pritichandran
    pritichandran Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I like LARA bars because it only has simple ingredients and is unprocessed - just nuts and fruits. Costco has the best price.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    It depends on your definition of healthy. Buy smaller produce or freeze what you can. It is always cheaper to buy bulk and save what you can.

I like weight watchers string cheese (50 cals), celery and canned tuna (one medium stalk and 1/3 of a can).
  • derbylea
    Options
    How about popcorn or pretzels? Little bags of nuts or dried fruits? Beef jerky? Also you can get some baby carrots or bell pepper strips and package them up in little baggies to eat on the go.
  • megan6709
    megan6709 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You can get 100-cal packs of a gazillion different items. Just look for sales.

Otherwise, someone on here pointed out that by healthy food in decent proportions, you spend less because the amount is less.

If that doesn't work, just use the same principles you (might) use every day -- control portions and avoid fat/processed sugars/empty calories. It is really hard to find "healthy" processed foods... sometimes stuff in the freezer (like the SmartOnes appetizers) might be a *better* option. But you really hit the nail on the head with fresh ingredients.

What do you consider as a snack? Does it need to be salty? sweet?
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options

These sound delicious, but I'd have to question whether they are healthy!

To the OP - have you looked at bying almonds or other nuts from the bulk food section in you market/supermarket, they work out pretty cheap this way and you don't need many for a snack so they last a long time.
    Or cans of chickpeas so you can make your own hommus. Or dried chickpeas/beans would be even cheaper, but a bit more work to soak/cook/blend into dip.
    Or fruit/veggies that are in season - there is always something on special, so make the most of it.
    Check out the local brands of natural yoghurt, there might be a better value one and you can mix in some frozen or canned fruit if you want it sweeter.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    salsa, fruit in season, almonds from the bulk section, string cheese, buy a large yogurt container not the smaller packs, boiled eggs, 100 calorie microwave popcorn
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I like LARA bars because it only has simple ingredients and is unprocessed - just nuts and fruits. Costco has the best price.
    Somewhere among the MFP recipes there's one for homemade Lara Bars and I've heard nothing but good about them!

I'd post the link but I don't have time to do a search at the moment. :flowerforyou:

I also saw a recipe for Homemade Cliff Bars if anyone is interested..came in a recipe blog I got in a recent email.

Carrots & Hummus
    Raw Almonds/Apples, Raisins,
    Nut Butters and apple slices, celery
    Slice a banana length wise and spread a tablespoon of PB down it..
    So many more!

All healthy, all low cost!
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Roasted red pepper hummus and pita. It will last me for a week and is about $5 total where I shop.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I'll say baby carrots.

But really I'm only commenting because your profile picture is awesome.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Buy seasonal ! And anything can be a "snack" food... I have roasted squash for my morning snack. At $0.59/lb, one squash roasted will suit me just fine for morning snack 4 or 5 days in a row... You just cut it up, toss it in the oven, and roast. Keeps in the fridge for several days.

Raw veggies are a great snack and very inexpensive if you buy them in season. 3lbs of carrots can be purchased for $1-2 usually. I just bought 5lbs of beets for $1.49

Eating healthy doesn't break your budget if you know how to shop smart.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    sunflower seeds
    pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
    almonds

I just bought these today, and didn't even set me back $10. Will last be about a month.

You can also go the aldi or coles fruit bars. They are 125 calories, and I find are sweet and hit the spot.

rice crackers or corn things. They are also great for a snack. you can have them plain, or with a slice of low fat cheese or low fat ham.

make up your own hummus, and use it as a dip.
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options

These sound delicious, but I'd have to question whether they are healthy!

Here's some facts about the cookies...for me they're a better choice than any other packaged cookie. They come in small packets and so far I've never had, or wanted, more than one packet in a day. I can't say that for other cookies, too tempting! I get a little sweet fix without going overboard and the benefit of lower sugar content, fiber and the antioxidants from dark chocolate etc....

Dark Chocolate Chip 70% cocoa and cranberry with Red Wine Extract
    These cookies contain:
    Inulin extracted from the chicory root, a prebiotic dietary fibre which promotes digestive health;
    Dark chocolate chip 70% cocoa and red wine extract, two ingredients that contain polyphenols (antioxidants).
    3 g to 4 g* of dietary fibre or 12% to 16% of your daily fibre requirements (recommended daily intake: 25 g);
    2 g of inulin or 40% of the recommended daily dose of prebiotics fibre;
    140 to 150* calories, which make it a source of the energy you need to perform your daily activities;
    6% to 8%* of your body’s daily iron requirements;
    70 mg of polyphenols (antioxydants) per serving.
    150 Calories per serving (7 cookies)
    7g Sugar
    4g Fiber
    INGREDIENTS: WHOLE ROLLED OATS, BROWN SUGAR, CANOLA AND/OR SOYA OIL, ENRICHED FLOUR, WHOLE OAT FLOUR, DARK CHOCOLATE CHIPS (CHOCOLATE LIQUOR, SUGAR, DEXTROSE, COCOA BUTTER, MODIFIED MILK INGREDIENTS, SOYA LECITHIN, VANILLA EXTRACT), CHICORY ROOT INULIN, COCOA POWDER, SALT, SODIUM BICARBONATE, RED WINE EXTRACT (CONTAINS SULFITES), NATURAL FLAVOUR.
    ALLERGY INFORMATION: THIS PRODUCT MAY CONTAIN EGGS.