550 pounds at 37 years old

Options
I just joined this sight today. I've never really taken the time to track what I eat. I have attempted many weight loss plans and had them all fail. I have finally realized that it's not a diet I need but an entire change in the way I live my life. I'm using this sight as one more tool to help me achieve my goals.

At the risk of getting in trouble, I have been writing a blog for a while now about my life, my issues and my struggle to loose weight.
http://www.rainhoward.blogspot.com
It's all about me. Not selling anything, not pushing anything, just me.

Replies

• birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your journey..!!...It IS an all around life style change...I wish you well... :flowerforyou:
  • Getting_Fit_4_Life
    Getting_Fit_4_Life Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Hello. Welcome to MFP. This is a great forum and everyone is so supportive. Good luck on your weight loss journey. YOU CAN do it :)
  • coreymusonda
    coreymusonda Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Good luck...taking the first steps to a new life is GREAT. Keep it up.
  • ZeroTX
    ZeroTX Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Hey, welcome. I think that you'll find the community here to be supportive and valuable. What's critical is that you make the decision and stick with it. The community here helps you do that. I really do believe that. The fact that the site is free, thus heavily trafficked, is the key to that. Other paid sites are good, but have few people... here you have thousands and thousands of people on the journey with you!

Do you have a "smart" phone like an iPhone or Android? Get the app and log your food... every day... all day. Use your phone + computer to make sure you do it EVERY day. I think for me, I was skeptical about the numbers (calorie goal) that I was given to lose 2lbs/week, but I am truly averaging about 1.6lbs/week, which I think is a safe rate for permanent, long-term weightloss. Whatever plan you figure out that works for you, just make sure you log it, every day, and check in with the communities... seek out some others who can provide moral support, both in-person and here.

I think also, for me, having my wife onboard has made this so much easier. We both need to lose weight and we both are doing this together. Thus, meal choices (even restaurant choices) are heavily influenced. Everybody needs to be on board. Everybody.

My highest official (recorded on a scale) weight is somewhere around 365lbs, when I was doing WeightWatchers some years back. However, old photos tell me that I probably hit the 380 range at one point or another. That's not 550, but it's still way too much, and I'm near your age (36), and I'd like to see a healthy 80+ years of age (beyond, if God-willing), so for me, this is it.

I heard a line by a comedian on a TV commercial (don't remember what it was for, haha), but that line was: "You know, you see a lot of old guys, and you see a lot of fat guys, but you never see an old fat guy." A truer statement was never uttered.... you know? I figure it's now or never. Literally.

Get to it and if you want support, I'm happy to jump in where I can!

Get started today and if (when) you mess up, get back on track right away! Giving up and not controlling our eating is what got us here.

-Michael (ZeroTX)
  • guessgigi
    guessgigi Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi there!! You've taken the first step in the right direction. It's not going to be easy but it is going to be worth it! Read the community board often and request friends who you feel will inspire and encourage you based on their goals and success. I'm fairly new but have been very encouraged by the support of all these wonderful people. We are allon the same journey so welcome aboard!!
  • Shannmfp11
    Shannmfp11 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!! You will do great! There are so many encouraging people on here. I wish you all the best!!! :)
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    There's many bonus features here, but the first thing you mentioned is what I think to be the most helpful. The ability to track your food...easily. It's interactive here on the website and their app for the iPhone. If you add something on your phone, it automatically makes it on this website. I love that! I've NEVER tracked my food before, thinking somehow calories really weren't the answer. They may not be the entire answer, but they're a MAJOR part. Having the ability to log your daily food intake, and to see what others are eating is invaluable. Logging your exercise...and finding out that the amount of calories you burnt doing exercise counts toward you being able to eat that extra bunch of calories makes me very happy!

Welcome. You have a journey to take, just as we all do. It all begins with one step...then another, then another.

Let us know how you're doing...and what you're doing. It's great that we can all share in this together
  • Kougra
    Kougra Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Hello and Welcome! Congrats on taking you first step to a healthier you! This site has bunches of wonderful people that will support and encourage you on your journey. Best wishes on your journey! All it takes is one step at a time!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, this is a really useful tool to get a true perspective on what you are eating.
    For me, as soon as I started writing down what I was eating, it became much easier to make changes. You don't have to change everything at once, small changes and new habits can all combine into much better eating habits and a healtheir you.
    Good luck!
  • broby425
    Options
    Welcome, and congratulations for taking the first steps!
  • Puffins1958
    Puffins1958 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group. I've found it very helpful just keeping track of my food. I hope that you have a wonderful experience here. ENJOY!!!!
  • amfeierabend74
    Options
    Welcome aboard! You are going to love this place. I never ever thought about logging my food, but since I have it is amazing what I have put in my body in the past. I really do think being on here helps keep people accountable, and gives them the motivation that they need.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    hey there,
    add me if you need any help along your path(it wont be as long as you think!)
    i was near on 400lb at that age,so i know how you feel....it just feels like it is the most stupid idea and NOBODY can lose that amount of weight ect ect ect! right?....yes i am i have been there! :blushing:

Belive me if i can lose what i have lost(pretty quick too) then i know you can...

please add me i am a active person on here so on alot of the time...as long as you don't mind someone who can't spell to save thier life :wink:
  • eurokeith
    Options
    Hey there - really well done on your achievement so far! The tipping point for me was, at age 36, hitting 407 pounds and more than a stone heavier than I was this time last year. A friend encouraged me to use the website and the iphone app - and since (according to my partner) I am virtually married to my iphone it made total sense!

Total loss in 7 weeks is about 20 pounds (I started a couple of weeks before I started using MFP) but I have a long way to go!

All the best.
    Keith (eurokeith)
  • lookitscaitlin
    Options
    yay ! good luck!! :) hope you achieve your goals!!