Lose 6 kgs in 5months without exercising Any ideas ?

Options
I m a full time mom to a 5 month old. Hardly have the time to go out. Any Ideas How to achieve my Goal weight before Next year march Without Hitting the gym ? I sooo neeed to loose the weight. My hubby just giggle when i say i M going to loose the 6 kgs before our holiday trip next year i cant let him Be right bout that !!!!

Need Help!!!!!! i cant cook either myself no time ( no nanny no Maid to help ) ...... sad...............am i too late?

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why you can't exercise?
    You don't have to go to the gym to exercise, you can do it at home - dance around the house for 20 mins a day holding your baby and you'll get a great workout!
    Just log your food, add a bit of exercise and you should be able to meet your goal.
    It sounds like you need to spend a few minutes sorting out priorities here.
  • lep_623
    lep_623 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    In order to lose weight the right way you have to workout, however i know it can be hard to get to the gym. I recomend investing in some weights and workout dvd's. You can do those while the baby sleeps or in any spare time you have. also put the baby in an stroller and go walk somewhere, indoors or out depending on weather. Good luck!
  • Bellyroll
    Bellyroll Posts: 316
    Options
    I seen plenty of moms run with strollers so that is something you can do. Or while your baby is sleeping you can work out. You just have to find ways.
  • meredithd13
    Options
    my friend loads her pushchair up with phone books and her baby and walks around the neighbourhood finding as many hills as possible. you could also do exercise videos at home. i do one every day. it's 20 mins (called 30 Day Shred).

what you eat is most important, and i guess if you reduce your calories enough you'll lose the weight, but not sure you should do that with a newborn. maybe ask your doc.
  • peanut613
    peanut613 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I've been a stay at home mom to my 2 year old for a year (her 1st year, i worked on the weekends and stayed with her during the week.) I get that the gym isn't always manageable between money and the whole baby thing. Get some workout dvds or maybe check out some online videos. You CAN lose weight just by reducing your caloric intake, but you'll just end up flabby. Exercise is what will take your body and actually make you LOOK slimmer. Use your baby's nap time to do a quick workout. Pilates is great for firming and tightening. Free pilates videos at doyogawithme.com too.

But what's the whole "can't cook" thing about? Like you are a bad cook so you rely on eating from restaurants? Because that needs to change. You absolutely can cook if you try. Get some recipe books from your public library or get ideas off the internet. Cooking healthy, low calorie meals can be very quick and easy.

You can totally lose weight if you want to. But it DOES require you to work for it. You can't just say "oh I don't have time to cook and I can't get to a gym." You have to make it a priority and DO it. I haven't had a maid or nanny to help me find time to cook....I've had to do it all myself with a very active toddler and a husband who works a lot and can't help much. But I still managed to lose 30 pounds in 5 months. You have to stop making excuses and start finding ways to be successful.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    If you're not cooking now, what are you eating? Do you eat out for every meal? Confused. Very confused.

If the conversion I used is correct and 6kg is roughly 13.25 pounds, you should be able to lose that amount in the next 4 months or so if you eat right and within your calorie limit on a consistent basis.

With very little cooking, you could create healthy, nutritious meals. And exercising could be dancing with baby, going for walks with baby in a stroller or a backpack, just some simple little things like that which would aid in your weight loss.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I m a full time mom to a 5 month old. Hardly have the time to go out. Any Ideas How to achieve my Goal weight before Next year march Without Hitting the gym ? I sooo neeed to loose the weight. My hubby just giggle when i say i M going to loose the 6 kgs before our holiday trip next year i cant let him Be right bout that !!!!

Need Help!!!!!! i cant cook either myself no time ( no nanny no Maid to help ) ...... sad...............am i too late?

Bluntly, wrong attitude and too many excuses. So many of us MFPs have kids and don't have $ for the gym, but still manage to work out and cook healthy foods for ourselves and family. If you are not in the right mindset and thinking you are going to make changes it is not going to happen for you.
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    You really can exercise and cook with a 5 month old!

Put the baby in a stroller or back pack and go for a walk every day. And/or as mentioned, do exercise DVDs.

What about swapping babysitting with friends? You could look after their child for an hour and they could do the same for you? (if you don't have friends with babies - work on making some, I think you'll need people who understand what you're going through. ) Have you got any family members close to you who could babysit once a week?

Cooking doesn't need to take ages - look for 30 min. recipes and ask your friends for their best quick recipes? For example, it takes about 20 min. actual cooking to fry a small steak (or chicken breast or fish fillet) with some seasoning, bake a potato, microwave or steam some veges... Stir fries are quick and very healthy - you just need to have plenty of veges in the house to cook.

Prioritise exercise, buying healthy food and preparing it over anything else non-essential i.e. the house can get a bit less tidy!

Good luck on your journey!
  • wildestian
    wildestian Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    You can always do a workout DVD like Jillian Michael's 30 Days Shred, It takes only 25 mins, its great and cheap, you only need some weights :)
  • woo1324
    woo1324 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Im not going to judge your situation maybe you have a bad sleeper or something but for me i have a 7 year old a 3 year old and a 10 month old and manage to excercise everyday and cook,, the trick is to start out small you dont need equipment to excercise walking with a pram burns plenty of calories and its really nice to get out of the house to ,theres also the c25k can be done with a stroller and is a great burn as far as cooking if you cant cook you can still eat fresh buy things for a salad or even frozen veg make a healthy quick alternative good luck

oh another tip if its a time issue with cooking what i like to do is get all my prep for a meal done during my babies nap time during the day then when my husband comes home he takes the kids while i get dinner done lso things like pasta bakes can be filled with veg and prepared during the day then just put in the oven at night
  • cbinnd
    cbinnd Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone that you need exercise to have a well rounded routine. With that said however, I lost my first 20+ lbs without it because I just hate to exercise to be completely honest. And I am flabbier than I want to be but I'm working on that now that I have the motivation from losing the weight.

While I didn't have an actual exercise routine I did whats called "functional exercise" - I made it my goal to be active when I was at home (rake the leaves in the yard, garden, clean the house). Whatever it was my goal was to NOT sit down and watch TV until a certain point at night. And let me tell you, not only did my house look amazing but I lost the weight incredibly fast.

Another thing is to limit your sodium intake to between 1500-2500 mgs a day, I suggest 1500. When you eat out a lot that can cause a lot of the weight gain because you retain so much fluid. Let me know how it goes!!
  • ellefun
    ellefun Posts: 21
    Options
    Thanks For all the Suggestions. But Some really Hit me on the head. Some harsh Comments ... But all true i guess. ...... i wonder why after reading them instead of being motivated i feel like crying. = =":frown:
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Because the truth hurts sometimes. I used to cry after people would tell me the truth.

I'm not a mum so I don't understand but I've had friends that use the baby as weights. Or they go for a walk with the stroller.

Not sure what country you're in but in Aus there are cookbooks called '5 minute meals' Very easy and straight forward to make.

As a culture a lot of us have lost the skill of cooking. I'm currently doing Jenny Craig but am getting a week long cooking class from my grandma this Xmas.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Thanks For all the Suggestions. But Some really Hit me on the head. Some harsh Comments ... But all true i guess. ...... i wonder why after reading them instead of being motivated i feel like crying. = =":frown:

It's not always easy to hear other people's opinions... but my best suggestion is to pick one or two that appeal to you, and give them a go.
    Make getting healthy a priority - after all, looking after you means you are better able to look after your family.
  • k2d4p
    k2d4p Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I have a 4 yr old and a 17 month old and a full time job. To say the least, I am very busy. You can exercise. Saying you can't is just wrong. Put you baby in a stroller and walk. Or carry your baby and walk (talk about an arm workout). Do sit-ups. Do Push-ups. Walk/run in place. Buy a jump rope. Do leg lifts. Get arm/ankle weights.

Unless you have a physical condition that prohibits you to exercise, its just an excuse. Make time.
  • woo1324
    woo1324 Posts: 168 Member
    Options

hey dont feel bad we have all been there after all most of us are here to lose weight right so we have all been in a place that isnt ideal ,,, a new baby is a lifechanging thing after my first i was were you were i had no energy for excercise the very thought was just impossible id just taken on a family and was very new to cooking it was all very daunting and i didnt have your courage at the time to start to try and change it didnt happen for me until my son was one

you should feel proud that you are starting to look at ways to change and you know what if that means that you just start by changing your diet and doing that until your in a position were you feel you can start excercsing then thats great just take steps maybe set little goals like learning some healthy recipes and walking a couple of times a week then as your baby gets older and things start to get more settled and relaxed start sceduleing some "you" time were you get to work on yourself
  • Vivian_Phoenix
    Options
    Do alot of walking and eat clean, drink alot of water.
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight without exercise and got to my goal weight. I looked horribly ill to others, and I can't say I liked the way I looked myself. Now that I'm exercising along with eating right this time around, I feel a lot better and it shows on the outside as well.

Power 90 is a fairly short at home workout video. You don't need a lot of space to do the workouts or a lot of equipment. Some weights (the adjustable cap barbell is $45.xx on Amazon), a mat, and that's it. I highly recommend it for cardio and weight-lifting.

Or just buy a stepper -- very inexpensive and portable. You don't even have to watch step aerobics workout videos. I'm currently in a MFP team, and our challenge is to walk 15 mins./ day in addition to our workouts. I just use my stepper to meet that challenge. I just step up, down and swing my arms for 15 mins.

Also, include some weight-lifting in your workouts. Strengthening your muscles will give you that extra oomph when doing your cardio.

As for cooking, looking for less time-consuming recipes? Personally, I grill a whole lot of chicken breast on my day off, cook a batch of whole grains and veggies. Toss them all in the fridge. When it's time to eat, I just combine what I feel like eating. If I want a sandwich, I get a breast, bread, lettuce, etc.... If I feel like spaghetti, I cut up the breast, get a serving of pasta, mix with spaghetti sauce and veggies. Again, all these are already cooked ahead of time. I just need to combine them together and reheat.
  • dashbeaujippers
    dashbeaujippers Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    So many things count as exercise. I set my activity level as seditary,(even though I am always running around), so I can count house cleaning, gardening, walking the dog, etc.... all as exercise. There must be things that u can do to add extra exercise to ur life. You can park ur car farther away, when u r at work, or at a store, take the stairs instead of the elevator. Where there's a will, there's a way. If you really want to lose the 13.2 lbs, the only idea I have is to eat less, and move more. Sorry, no secrets or potions here. The only thing that I find that is effective, is to do it the old fashioned way. ---sorry :smile: There were a lot of helpful hints that others posted as well. I hope that you are successful.
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    You are just feeling stressed, thinking you have to try to fit 'more' into your life when it's already overfull. But try not to think of it like that. You are just swapping in healthy and swapping out unhealthy habits. Do it slowly if you need to.

For food it can be as simple as baking chicken breasts and steaming some veggies in the microwave (do they have the frozen veggie steam packs there? As a mom of four I find them a real time-saver). Buying pre-cut frozen veggies removes a lot of the prep time.

For exercise, just make yourself move all the time. Every mom knows that 'mommy sway' we all seem to develop. Turn it into a stepping dance around the house.
    If you can get out, take the baby and explore. Who needs a weighted vest when you are carrying around a 5-month old? :)
    There are a lot of sites that can give you ideas to turn play-time with your child into a strength-training session for you. A couple ideas: lift your child above you, or lay him on a blanket and do push-ups over him. He'll get giggles watching Mommy go up and down.

Just a few ideas, along with all the wonderful ideas the others have given. Your goal is not unreasonable-you can do this.