for those ladies on the pill....

Options
Is it hard for you to lose weight?
I lose like 0.2kg/0.4lb per week most weeks after killing myself at the gym and eating good.

P.S. I am on Juliet 35-ED (or the Diane) and am on it for severe acne - this is the only brand which works so please don't suggest changing.

Replies

• happy_vegan
    happy_vegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    since ive gotten on the pill yes... but ive been binging more i think..i heard it would happen. but sometimes i wake up and i know i ate really well the day before and i feel heavier, the scale doesnt budge...i wonder if it makes you eat in your sleep!
  • MelanieLeanne
    Options
    Not at all. I've been on the pill for years & it has never affected my weight.
  • Deathwithab
    Deathwithab Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    i actualy lost weight easyer while i was on the pill 2 years ago. then i got off it and gained what im trying to lose now

i was on alesse
  • MelanieLeanne
    Options
    Another thing you may want to consider- muscle weighs more than fat. So when you do a lot of weight training at the gym, you're constantly gaining muscle. You might want to try just sticking to just cardio exercises for awhile & see if it helps with the weight loss. Also, eating good for that day will not affect your weight loss that day. It won't be til the next day or the day after that you see results.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    BC pill has never hurt my weight loss. :smile:
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it's something that's different for everyone. I definitely did gain weight once I started taking the pill. However, it doesn't seem to have affected my ability to lose weight as I am losing at a fairly normal pace. It should probably be noted, though, that I first started the pill (and gained weight from it) four years ago, so it may be that my body has gotten used to it by now.
  • aliciar3
    Options
    Iv'e been on the pill for about 7 years now and it hasn't made any difference to my weight loss from what I can tell.

It could be a number of other things though - Perhaps you're not eating enough? If you're working out like crazy at the gym you may need to be eating more. It seems strange but I was stuck at the same weight for about 3 months until I started eating more and getting at least 7 hours sleep a night.

Either way, you're still losing weight. Even if it's not as quickly as you'd like you're still heading in the right direction! :)
  • cofakid
    cofakid Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    i went on the pill years and years ago (i was 13) and since then ve had what most ppl expect - steady weight gain as you get older, lazier, exercise less and eat more junk. Now that ive started exercising im finding weeks where i loose 3 kilos, then the next week half a kilo, and then a while later loose another big chunk. i dont think the pill has effected my weight gain or loss, but it might change if i were to go off it, im not sure.
  • rebecca_lc28
    rebecca_lc28 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    i started on the pill and gained 20kg that's where most of my weight came from & i found it really hard to get it off... but 3 years ago i got the implanon ( new one put in this year) in my arm & its has come of real easy.. think t affects people in different ways
  • Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I have never noticed issues with being on birth control affecting my weight. I started on the pill when I was 15 for severe bleeding and cramps, and I didn't get fat until I was in my early 20s. I lost 80lbs in my mid 20s, while still on birth control.
  • km_nicholson
    km_nicholson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am on exactly the same pill and while it hasn't made me put on weight it is definately much harder to lose, especially because I am only trying the lose a few kgs. Before this pill I could lose 1kg a week just by eating healthy and sticking to a calorie limit, now I can do that and exercise and it'll take me a couple of weeks to lose 1kg.
  • Xtina_Beba
    Options
    I'm not on the pill but I am on the patch and most birth controls do not affect weight. The only one that does is the shot. However, everyone is different so I say just keeping eating healthy and exercise regularly.
  • foxygirlact
    foxygirlact Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I don't think the pill was what led to my weight gain, it was me getting older thinking I could keep eating crap and not exercising and remain a size 8 (aust size) like I was as a kid & teenager (and some genetics didn't help - my mother and sister were both skinny until their 20's when they both put on the weight).

I started the pill when I was 15, and put on weight when I was 19/20 and have gradually put on more to now (age 29 and size 12/14). I then tried to lose weight in my 20's and went off the pill for a bit, but it didn't make a difference so I went back on the pill.

For me, I think the answer is exercise and healthy eating
  • nothingisred
    Options
    I've been on the pill since I was 15, so for nearly 7 years. I piled on the weight I'm trying to lose mainly in the last 3 years, but before that my weight went up and down so it's difficult to tell really. I assume it's been more due to junk food and a sedentary lifestyle. Although I am going to be coming off of the pill and will probably be getting the coil so I'll be interested to see if and how that affects my weight loss.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I'm not on the pill but I am on the patch and most birth controls do not affect weight. The only one that does is the shot. However, everyone is different so I say just keeping eating healthy and exercise regularly.

If the only one that affects weight is the shot then how come in the leaflet you get with it, it states that a side effect may be weight gain?
  • Xtina_Beba
    Options

If the only one that affects weight is the shot then how come in the leaflet you get with it, it states that a side effect may be weight gain?

My mother is a pharmacist and it only states that because birth control has hormonal affects and with some people hormonal affects can cause someone to eat more than usual or lose their appetite. Statistics show that the shot is proven for weight gain not the contraceptives. Like I said before eat healthy and exercise regularly.
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I have been on the pill for the past 6 years and i haven't noticed any issues with my weight as a result. It was when i turned 30 (2 years ago) that i started gaining weight.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Another thing you may want to consider- muscle weighs more than fat. So when you do a lot of weight training at the gym, you're constantly gaining muscle. You might want to try just sticking to just cardio exercises for awhile & see if it helps with the weight loss. Also, eating good for that day will not affect your weight loss that day. It won't be til the next day or the day after that you see results.

You are not constantly gaining muscle at the gym when you do lots of weight training.. It's impossible. You need a calorie surplus to gain muscle.. and since she's trying to lose weight, I doubt that's happen. She may be retaining water as her muscles are repairing themselves, and the muscles may be getting stronger, but she is not gaining muscle.

Plus any muscle she's preserving is going to help her lose weight faster since it will boost her metabolism.

To OP:
    I'm on Loestrin 24, and have found losing weight to be quite easy. Around the time of my period I don't lose but thats about it.. the other weeks I lost just fine.
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I have to say that the Pill has never made me gain weight, I have been on and off it for about 12 years and I have been a range of different weights over that time. Eating too much and not doing enough exercise makes me gain weight not the Pill!
  • inlander
    inlander Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I recently started taking the pill in August of this year and I haven't noticed any additional difficulties. I'm on Ortho-Novum (I think that's what it's called) which is supposedly very low in hormones.