Lungs on FIRE

Options
I went for a Run tonight....
First time in almost 2 years.
It was a combo between light job and brisk walk.
Since I started this website I have been using Walking as my general exercise means. I have been happy with the results so far and feel its time to push myself harder after only a week. I have included free weights, sit-ups, pushups and no Jogging.

Tonight I started out with a good job. 300 meters or so and then started walking and would go between the two keeping my heart rate up and breathing heavy. It didn't take long before I was getting a sharp burning pain during inhaling.

I googled it when I got home and found this article:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/338451-lungs-that-are-burning-when-running/

Take a minute and read this over.

What are your thoughts or fixes?

Is it simply something that will go away?

My Girlfriend was complaining of the same type of pain while walking with me last week. Is it because we are both obese?

Replies

• cmasonrock
    cmasonrock Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    In total I went 3Km's
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    It could be pollution. It could be allergies or asthma. It could be that your lungs are just not used to the intensity.

My advice? Keep running. And talk to your doctor.

I've been diagnosed with exercise induced asthma and have an inhaler. As I've gotten into better shape, I have found the symptoms aren't as bad.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    according to that article, it could be a combination of factors. Many people who are considered "obese" are able to run, especially if they start slowly and alternate walking/jogging, like you mentioned. How cold is the air when you are running? I notice I have some issues when I run in cold weather (like 40 degrees Fahrenheit). If it's not too uncomfortable, keep walking/jogging and maybe you could check in with your doctor to rule out asthma-related or any other medical issues. Good luck!
  • cr0wneddynam0
    Options
    I also suffer from sports induced asthma, but I have found that I can control it with rhythmic breathing. I find that the cold can cause the burning to be worse. Certainly don't let it set you back, it will get better and you will recover faster as well the more you do it.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    My throat burns more than my lungs do when I exercise hard. I just keep going, and try to drink sips of water to keep my throat moist.
  • cmasonrock
    cmasonrock Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna keep going and see how it goes. If I notice it getting worse or not getting better I will for sure see my doctor. I have a blue inhaler from weak asthma...I'm assuming thats what the problem is, but I don't recall my asthma causing me pain in the past, just couldn't exhale easily. Hmmm....

Also, the Temp was 1C* (40-41f) Canadian eh

Could have played into aswell.
    Compound issue maybe...

I hope its cause I'm obese and it willsubside as I lose more weight.
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I've been asthmatic since I was a kid, and was hospitalized a time or two for it. Symptoms have improved in adulthood, but I still have a hard time breathing when exercising at times. The feeling of not being able to exhale completely is one of the things I feel when I have an attack.

Here are some things that help me, and may help you too.

First, pre-treat with albuterol if you have an inhaler. It won't hurt, and can definitely help.
    Second, pay attention to HOW you breathe. For me exhaling through my mouth with my lips slightly pursed (like you're trying to whistle) helps to smooth out my breathing during an attack.
    Third, suck in as much air as you can get. "Inhale through your nose" just doesn't work for me when I'm biking or running. Open up your mouth and suck in as much air as you can get through your mouth AND nose, then exhale like I described above.
    Fourth (and this is hard), try to RELAX when those symptoms hit, Clenching your arms and upper body won't help you breathe better. Try for the kind of deep belly breaths that make yoga instructors happy.

Since I started biking again this past spring, I've noticed that my worst EIA symptoms seem to be a little better. I chalk it up to being in better shape and more used to it.
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I felt that after not running for 2 years in February and I think it was due to smoking. It eventually went away even with continued smoking. I think its just your lungs adapting to the extra work like any other muscle group.... when I started running again recently I did not get the same burning despite smoking so I guess my lungs have kept their adaptation from February.
  • MelanieLeanne
    Options
    It's probably just the cold weather. Try wearing a cover over your mouth/nose so that the air you breathe in is not so intensely cold.