30 day shred - how do you do it?

Options
Man it's painful haha. Tomorrow is my day 3. I can barely sit down or walk unless at a really really slow pace. I hear it gets better... please tell me it gets better soon lol.

So she really doesn't explain the program very much. Should you do 10 days on each level? Or is it a kind of pick and choose when to do levels?

Also, is it recommended to continue the program after the 30 days? Or would going to the gym be better suited and maybe do the dvd every few days after the initial 30? I know this is probably my personal choice, just want everyone's opinions or to see how you guys do it :)

And one more question... about the dvd itself... is there a way to skip the stupid introduction? I'm not sure if my dvd player/remote just sucks but I cant fast forward or skip scenes, and its lame having to watch her talk about the program each time.

Replies

• rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    day 4 was always better for me..
    10 days on each level.. ive heard people take a day off in between each level.
    i try to do it every day. im on day 12 (skipping tonight, just not feeling it) but still on level one. im going to move up to level two in the next couple days though.
    Ive never tried to skip scenes.. might next time around
  • healthy4self
    Options
    I start tomorrow. I'm terrified
  • jonzo21
    jonzo21 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Haha well from what I hear, the pain is only really bad for the first few days.. so if you can outlast that you'll be fine. Just push through it--that's what I'm trying to do
  • JustQue
    JustQue Posts: 157
    Options
    Man it's painful haha. Tomorrow is my day 3. I can barely sit down or walk unless at a really really slow pace. I hear it gets better... please tell me it gets better soon lol.

So she really doesn't explain the program very much. Should you do 10 days on each level? Or is it a kind of pick and choose when to do levels?

Also, is it recommended to continue the program after the 30 days? Or would going to the gym be better suited and maybe do the dvd every few days after the initial 30? I know this is probably my personal choice, just want everyone's opinions or to see how you guys do it :)

And one more question... about the dvd itself... is there a way to skip the stupid introduction? I'm not sure if my dvd player/remote just sucks but I cant fast forward or skip scenes, and its lame having to watch her talk about the program each time.
    Yes it gets better. I did 10 days on each level. If I repeated it again, I would probably change it up. I would def take a break and not do it straight. I usually took the weekends off. I think that's why I was able to see such great results. Your body needs time to rest and recover. I hate the introduction as well. Usually I walk away and get my water, weights, and set up my mat to kill the time. Just stick with it because it's def worth it. Keep pushing!! Q
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is day 30 for me, its a pretty decent cardio workout. Gets your heart pumping. I dont find it to be extremely strength based, but definatly good cardio workout
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    yes it does get better. i think when i got close to level 2 was when i noticed it. not sure if you can skip the intro or not on there???
    i did not do another 30 days when i was done. i went straight to p90x workouts.
  • Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I do a combination of 30DS, P90X, and Blogilates and the only pain I have is in my knees, but it goes away a few minutes after the workout. I'm on day 29 of the Shred and I plan on doing it again for November.
  • aliceguy
    aliceguy Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I don't even know what it is and I scared sh**less of it from the descriptions!
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    To skip the intro, I press the open button on the DVD player before the workout is officially 'over' (like right at the end where she's talking). When you turn it on again, it will restart from there, but you can go back to the beginning of the workout faster than having to wait for the intro.
  • buckaroos30
    buckaroos30 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I am on day 15, yes the sorness does lets up about day 5. I did 10 days for each level and I also skipped the weekends. I am seeing some changes all ready. it will be worth it in the end. I also wish that you can fast forward though the intro
  • Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    It really isn't that bad. o.o Kind of fun and Jillian is very charismatic.
  • sarahdunagan
    Options
    Tomorrow is day 5 for me and the soreness is pretty much gone....I feel like my endurance is a little better also compared to day 1. Good luck to you!
  • sfalk1977
    sfalk1977 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    The first time I just went up a level when I thought I could manage it. I did 8 days each on level 1 and 2 and the remaining days at level 3. I did have a few days off the first time - after day 3 I had two days off to let my muscles recover and I had another break somewhere.

I then I had 3 weeks off then started again. The second time round I am doing 2 levels back to back at the weekends and 1 level each day during the week. I alternate which levels so that I don't get bored. I'm going to get something else after I have finished it this time, I need a change. It is still challenging me though - I can't do the difficult version of the pikes and proper sit ups in level 3 yet.
  • jonzo21
    Options
    Did my day 3 today, I was so sore upon waking up I didn't think I would make it... had to modify some of the leg exercises a bit, but otherwise made it through.. and now my legs aren't as sore, I think day 4 or 5 will start getting easier now :)

Thanks for your guys inputs, and I'll be sure to try that strategy of how to skip the intro... if not, I'll use that time to get my workout stuff ready
  • rbranch26
    Options
    I am thinking i may have to try this out!! : ) Can't wait to get started!!
  • jonzo21
    Options
    It comes highly recommended and I can see why. I'm on day 5 now, and I feel a difference in my stamina already. Can't wait to see the overall result!
  • CityOnAHill
    CityOnAHill Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to share my experience with the Shred as well. I've never really exercised a day in my life. I started walking about ten days before I got the DVD and then went right into it. I'll be doing day 7 of level one tonight (and I'm going to take Saturdays off). I call it the Shred as opposed to 30DS because I already know that this will not be over for me in 30 days. I'll likely be doing 45-60 days as I build up the strength and courage to go to the next level. (And then I'll probably do it again!)

That said: my overall soreness wore off on about day 4 and into day 5. Though when I squat, I definitely still feel a tightness in my quads. Also, I think due to poor form, I've hurt my knee a bit on the jumping jack and jump rope. There for, I just jog in place or back and forth in my living room and pretend I'm punching her in the face (because it makes me feel better!). I'm still getting cardio so I figure it's not a complete loss! I have a heck of a time with the push ups, even the "girly" ones. But I'm trying and again, that's better than sitting it out!

The most aggravating thing for me is that even though I'm good on calories and I'm good on exercise, I'm not losing weight (yet!). I took measurements before I started and took pictures of myself on Saturday so I'll have those for comparision when everything is said and done with the DVD.

I never read posts about how hard this workout is if you're coming off of the couch. So I decided I would, just in case anyone else is in the same boat with me.

I know that sometimes (and I'm only on day 7 today!) I just have to force myself to do it. Good job getting started and I hope you can stick with it!
  • jonzo21
    Options
    Just wanted to share my experience with the Shred as well. I've never really exercised a day in my life. I started walking about ten days before I got the DVD and then went right into it. I'll be doing day 7 of level one tonight (and I'm going to take Saturdays off). I call it the Shred as opposed to 30DS because I already know that this will not be over for me in 30 days. I'll likely be doing 45-60 days as I build up the strength and courage to go to the next level. (And then I'll probably do it again!)

That said: my overall soreness wore off on about day 4 and into day 5. Though when I squat, I definitely still feel a tightness in my quads. Also, I think due to poor form, I've hurt my knee a bit on the jumping jack and jump rope. There for, I just jog in place or back and forth in my living room and pretend I'm punching her in the face (because it makes me feel better!). I'm still getting cardio so I figure it's not a complete loss! I have a heck of a time with the push ups, even the "girly" ones. But I'm trying and again, that's better than sitting it out!

The most aggravating thing for me is that even though I'm good on calories and I'm good on exercise, I'm not losing weight (yet!). I took measurements before I started and took pictures of myself on Saturday so I'll have those for comparision when everything is said and done with the DVD.

I never read posts about how hard this workout is if you're coming off of the couch. So I decided I would, just in case anyone else is in the same boat with me.

I know that sometimes (and I'm only on day 7 today!) I just have to force myself to do it. Good job getting started and I hope you can stick with it!

good strategy to pretend you are punching her in the face haha! It is pretty aggravating I'm not losing any weight either (i've actually gained 4lbs!) but I've been doing some reading and as fat turns into muscle, it can weigh more (but takes up less space so you still look thinner) so I'm hoping thats my case. Also, as the muscles are inflamed they absorb more water which could make you weigh more, or maybe not show any results on the scale. So don't get discouraged if you don't see any significant change on the scale. I was discouraged when I saw I gained 4lbs, but I know I've been good on my calorie intake (except at my cousins wedding but I couldn't have gained 4lbs just from that) so hopefully we see results in inches. Great job pushing through the workout even when it gets too challenging, just making the attempt will definitely help you later on. Maybe you can't do a full pushup yet (i still have to do the girly ones as well) but those girly ones will build us up to be able to do a full pushup eventually! :)