Will eating too much protein...

Options
If I eat too much protein will it cause me to gain weight? I went 70 grams over last night and I stayed under my calorie goal and I gained a half pound this morning. And I didn't eat anything salty.

Replies

• amberpaigee
    Options
    No you'll be fine :) don't worry! :flowerforyou:
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Eating above your calorie (actually your maintenance) goal then anything can make you gain weight whether it is veggies, protein or fruit. Just stay within your macro and calorie goal then you are good to go...same applies for junk food.
  • borys12
    borys12 Posts: 98
    Options
    Don't weight yourself everyday, do it weekly. It can change even a few lbs during the day.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    Usually you want to eat about 0.36g per pound you weigh.

Here's the link: http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50900

Too Much Protein

So think twice when you consider sacrificing the carbohydrates for a protein-dominant diet, Butterfield says. Drastically cutting carbohydrates from your diet may force your body to fight back.

She says that's because a diet in which protein makes up more than 30% of your caloric intake causes a buildup of toxic ketones. So-called ketogenic diets can thrust your kidneys into overdrive in order to flush these ketones from your body. As your kidneys rid your body of these toxic ketones, you can lose a significant amount of water, which puts you at risk of dehydration, particularly if you exercise heavily.

That water loss often shows up on the scale as weight loss. But along with losing water, you lose muscle mass and bone calcium. The dehydration also strains your kidneys and puts stress on your heart.

And dehydration from a ketogenic diet can make you feel weak and dizzy, give you bad breath, or lead to other problems.
  • rajivdubey
    rajivdubey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Eating high amounts of protein once in a week is ok. I guess 1/2 pounds extra weight is due to food weight. It will go away tomorrow, if you stay put!
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options

Here's the link: http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50900

Too Much Protein

So think twice when you consider sacrificing the carbohydrates for a protein-dominant diet, Butterfield says. Drastically cutting carbohydrates from your diet may force your body to fight back.

She says that's because a diet in which protein makes up more than 30% of your caloric intake causes a buildup of toxic ketones. So-called ketogenic diets can thrust your kidneys into overdrive in order to flush these ketones from your body. As your kidneys rid your body of these toxic ketones, you can lose a significant amount of water, which puts you at risk of dehydration, particularly if you exercise heavily.

That water loss often shows up on the scale as weight loss. But along with losing water, you lose muscle mass and bone calcium. The dehydration also strains your kidneys and puts stress on your heart.

And dehydration from a ketogenic diet can make you feel weak and dizzy, give you bad breath, or lead to other problems.

Why is this of any relevance? Is she deliberately depriving her body from carbs making her body going into ketosis? no so why try scare her off from a protein rich diet which is essential for building and preserving muscle mass,
  • wadesha
    wadesha Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Hey just saw your diary and its probably just water weight and it'll be gone soon. Even though you did not go over your sodium count yours was high and soup is very high in sodium.
  • elizabethdear95
    Options
    Thank you guys! I appreciate all the help!
  • brimir
    brimir Posts: 72
    Options

Too Much Protein

Why is this of any relevance? Is she deliberately depriving her body from carbs making her body going into ketosis? no so why try scare her off from a protein rich diet which is essential for building and preserving muscle mass,

I love how not everyone is allowed to put in there 2 cents here, just some people..
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Protein has a higher thermic effect, so basically some of those calories are free! can't say that with most carbs or fat.
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    The daily goal you have set for protein is the amount of protein I eat just for breakfast. I would think either sodium or just normal fluctuations is what caused the scale to go up for you.