Heart Rate Monitor

Options
Hello Friends, I have a doubt about how to calculate the calories burnt with Heart Rate. I googled and found this formula
=((0.4472*AHR+0.1263*W+ 0.074*A-20.4022)/4.184)*M..where AHR stands for Average HR, W = weight in Kgs,A for age and M= Minutes..so when i calculated my result of 45 mins run with AHR 145..I got around 600, but our calculator for jogging 5 miles/hr gives only around 400 calories burnt...any inputs here from experienced friends?
Thank you in advance...

Replies

• firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
  • 623Hernandez
    Options
    bump
  • kraig1967
    Options
    The most accurate way to measure calories burnt is with a heart Rate monitor, Polar make probably the best and are pretty reasonable price wise, this one has a calorie counting function and sells for $89.

www.thepolarshop.com.au/fitness-cross-training-c-6/ft4-female-bronze-p-90
  • Sanvita58
    Sanvita58 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew there were Heart Rate Monitor with calorie counter..so invested in just normal Heart Rate Monitor... :(
  • debbiequack
    debbiequack Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I have a question about heart rate monitors: I was looking for them, and some of the polars don't come with a chest strap (or don't appear to). Are you supposed to buy them separately or do some just not use a chest strap? Are the ones without a chest strap as accurate?

Thanks,

Debbie
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I have a question about heart rate monitors: I was looking for them, and some of the polars don't come with a chest strap (or don't appear to). Are you supposed to buy them separately or do some just not use a chest strap? Are the ones without a chest strap as accurate?

Thanks,

Debbie

All Polars come with a chest strap(and if you happen to buy one and it doesn't, then return it ASAP!)

The ones without a strap are not as accurate because they only get your heart rate when touching the watch face.. and unless you plan on standing with your finger on the sensor the entire time, you need a chest strap.
  • debbiequack
    Options

Thanks,

Debbie

All Polars come with a chest strap(and if you happen to buy one and it doesn't, then return it ASAP!)

The ones without a strap are not as accurate because they only get your heart rate when touching the watch face.. and unless you plan on standing with your finger on the sensor the entire time, you need a chest strap.

(Doubting Thomas here). Are you sure? On amazon they seem to sell them separately... ???

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

Thanks,

Debbie

(Doubting Thomas here). Are you sure? On amazon they seem to sell them separately... ???

And I quote from Amazon:

What's in the Box
    Polar FT4 training computer
    Polar WearLink and transmitter(This would be the chest strap hun, it just doesn't say it in plain english)
    Quick Guide
  • debbiequack
    Options
    Thanks again :)