What can i replace the sugar i have in my coffees with?

Options
Hiya everyone i have a bit of a coffee problem i usually have up to three a day and in each cup i have 2 teaspoons of sugar i was wanting to find something thats lower in calories and better for my health to replace the suagr with because i dont see me cutting out my dear old friend coffee anytime soon

I have heard bad things about artifical sweeteners such as splenda and honey has to many calories any ideas for a a sweetener thats nice in taste good for my health and low in calories like the artifical stuff lol i realise thats allot to ask it might be as likley as finding a unicorn but still if im not thinking of something id love to know

cheers

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I'm like you and don't see that there is much point in replacing sugar with something else that isn't good for your body.
    What about gradually cutting down on the amount of sugar - instead of two spoons, make it 1 1/2 and drink it that way for a while, then reduce again till you are down to little or no sugar.
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I use truvia
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I'm like you and don't see that there is much point in replacing sugar with something else that isn't good for your body.
    What about gradually cutting down on the amount of sugar - instead of two spoons, make it 1 1/2 and drink it that way for a while, then reduce again till you are down to little or no sugar.

Agree with this. Added sugar is not a necessary food to have in your diet, period. It's just plain bad for you. But, if you have to have something sweet, I'd recommend using real sugar, not a substitute. I understand the want for sweets! But I learned a long time ago it is better to have real than fake sugar. :) I would just try to cut down on it a bit.
  • janel814
    Options
    Have you tried Stevia? It is no calorie and natural.
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    STEVIA. Zero calorie, all natural, made from a root.
    It's the only sweetener I've used for the past seven years, and I literally carry it with me in my purse at all times.
  • wannababyH
    Options
    Real sugar or "fakes" like Splenda are really your only options.

Please don't switch over to Agave. It's got more concentrated fructose than high fructose corn syrup.
  • SummitGuy1208
    SummitGuy1208 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    try Splenda
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Do you drink it with cream, too? If you do, try the mimic creme almond/cashew milk cream substitute. I find I like the taste so much I don't use any sugar, and I don't use the sweetened version. The plain is 10 calories per tbsp, the sweetened is 25. They have a sweetened sugar free version but I've never tried it. It has a wonderful texture, even creamier than my half and half - more like real cream but not quite.

I don't use it all the time, but sometimes I have to take a break from dairy as it can cause GI problems for me occasionally.
  • Megan2Project
    Megan2Project Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I'm a Stevia fan too!
  • Vivian_Phoenix
    Options
    do you like honey? or agave nectar?
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I use some sort of creamer or non-dairy milk:

Organic Valley Hazelnut Half & Half (the only one I've found that has a decent hazelnut flavor that doesn't taste weird)
    Silk French Vanilla Soy Creamer
    So Delicious Vanilla Coconut Creamer
    Vanilla or Chocolate Almond Milk
    Vanilla Oat Milk
    Vanilla or Chocolate Soy Milk
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I just use sugar. I put 1.5 tsp in each cup. Three cups worth of sugar was 73 calories this morning. That's nothing.
  • Liluth
    Liluth Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Truvia is your best bet for close to zero calorie. It has 3 carbs a serving and comes from the stevia plant. It dissolves well. I use it in my tea.
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I used to use artificial sweetener in my coffee to cut back on sugar, but have more recently decided to just reduce the amount of sugar I use and slowly.

I was 2tsp per cup as well. Start by going down to 1.5. Do this for a month. Then down to 1.

I now am on 0.5tsp of sugar per coffee and I was surprised by how much I can taste that half teaspoon of sugar. Next stop - no sugar!
  • dannylives
    Options
    I heard Stevia is good. I remember back when I couldnt or didnt like to drink black coffee. I dont miss those days. I say screw it, drink that good stuff the way it is. You'll get used to it after a little while I think. :)
  • woo1324
    woo1324 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I probably should try and just cut out the amount first like some of you suggested i had tried at one point but i just never got used to the taste i like my coffee to be really really white i use about 60ml of milk and almost caramelly in flavour it is pretty much the only naughty thing i have kept in my diet the odd thing is i hated coffee up until my second child when i started to crave it and have drunk it ever since lol

the stevia thing sounds interesting i will do some research into it i really dont want any chemicals or things that may play havoc with my system but if its all natural and seems to be healthy then that would be a great option just really wanting to cut down on the unessarcy bad things in my diet and i see sugar as one of those
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    weight watchers drinking chocolate = custom mocha for 21cals :smile:
  • Xtina_Beba
    Options
    I use stevia raw sugar or blue agave nectar.
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Use sweetened soy/almond/rice milk instead. You wont need sugar or milk/creamer. Vanilla flavour is nice in coffee, and you get get 'light' versions. Alternatively cut down your coffee intake and drink herbal tea which has many health benefits. Or learn to drink black coffee (that was my solution).
  • grneyedgf
    grneyedgf Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Stevia drops with vanilla flavor is AWESOME, it taste just like a sweet vanilla extract. That is what my doctor recommended to me.