Those last stubborn pounds

Options
My weightloss was never quick. I have lost 13lbs in nearly 6 months, but I know that is was a healthy weight already and because I have had a fair few cheat days in that time :)

Now it has come to a standstill. I put a pound back on (Not too worried about that, probably muscle/water etc).

Has anyone else struggling to lose those last few pounds found a way to break the plateau? Any tips or hints would be great thank you. :)

Replies

• lindalou0703
    lindalou0703 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I am working on my last pounds as well. I would welcome ideas :)
  • littlelol
    littlelol Posts: 539
    Options
    im on a plateau tooo! I find cutting out alcohol helps :) xxxx
  • sarahmctaggart
    sarahmctaggart Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I find watching my saturated fat and sodium levels works really well. Also add an extra cardio or weights session in each week. You can add the sat fat and sodium into your diary settings too :)
  • Dinah22
    Dinah22 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've got just 4 stubborn pounds to go! Have lost 1stone 1lb and got to 9stone with the help of weightwatchers. Just thought I'd try something different, but I reallise that it's all down to intake and output. Battling on.....
  • JennyJacobsen
    JennyJacobsen Posts: 72 Member
    Options

YES, I agree. I only drink once in a while and now my weight is coming off. I lose about 2-3 pounds a week. For months before MFP I didn't realize what alcohol really does to your body. :explode: I bet I gained most of my weight from alcohol:drinker: YIKES!
  • Scoobies87
    Options
    I find watching my saturated fat and sodium levels works really well. Also add an extra cardio or weights session in each week. You can add the sat fat and sodium into your diary settings too :)

I am always low on sodium however I really struggle with sat fat. For example the home made spinach and ricotta pizza my mum is making for dinner tonight has 10g sat fat!! :S. I didn't realise sat fat had that much of an impact to weight loss. I do monitor it but I could try and cut down. Thanks :)
  • Scoobies87
    Options

YES, I agree. I only drink once in a while and now my weight is coming off. I lose about 2-3 pounds a week. For months before MFP I didn't realize what alcohol really does to your body. :explode: I bet I gained most of my weight from alcohol:drinker: YIKES!

Alcohol is the reason that I gained all my weight at Univeristy! I agree, so bad!! I don't really drink now either, just once every few weeks on a night out. If I find myself at the pub in between those few weeks I have diet coke or tea (haha, ordering a cup of tea at the pub is most amusing!)
  • Sanvita58
    Sanvita58 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My scale didnt move for 2 months..then MFP friends advised to increase the intake and I did. It worked..
  • Sanvita58
    Sanvita58 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Not to increase Alcohol intake but total calories...LOL..
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Change to half a pound a week loss rather than a pound.

I only have 2/3 lbs left to lose, I changed to 0.5lb a couple of weeks ago so I can now eat over 1400 calories and it's working (so far!).
  • Shyloh1
    Shyloh1 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Some ways you can break your plateau:

-Increase your calories

-Change up your workout routine and add weights!

-Zig-zag your calories. Here's a link to a site that I've been using: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
    It helped me break my plateau.

-Drink your water!:wink:
  • KaySera
    KaySera Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've been stuck on the last 2lbs for about 3 weeks. I'm planning to increase my intake tomorrow and make sure I eat my exercise calories during November - just to see if it makes the scale budge in the right direction!

I'm currently on 1200cals with 2 x 45mins jogging. I logged my lifestyle as "sedentary" and my goal as "1lb a week". Although I walk dogs 2/3hours a day, I've been told on MFP not to consider that as exercise (as it doesn't raise my heart beat). Half a pound doesn't even register on my (mechanical) scales which is why I've left it for 3 weeks.

Can someone please tell me how much of a calorie increase I should make? Please? Please? Please?
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I've been stuck on the last 2lbs for about 3 weeks. I'm planning to increase my intake tomorrow and make sure I eat my exercise calories during November - just to see if it makes the scale budge in the right direction!

I'm currently on 1200cals with 2 x 45mins jogging. I logged my lifestyle as "sedentary" and my goal as "1lb a week". Although I walk dogs 2/3hours a day, I've been told on MFP not to consider that as exercise (as it doesn't raise my heart beat). Half a pound doesn't even register on my (mechanical) scales which is why I've left it for 3 weeks.

Can someone please tell me how much of a calorie increase I should make? Please? Please? Please?

2-3h walking do not increase your heart rate but it sure burns more calories than sitting on the couch. I count my walks as exercise! They even elevate my heart rate since I'm sometimes a little sweaty after walking uphill.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I am planning on upping my exercising be a lot. I think that this will get me going again. Also, drink a lot of water.
  • KaySera
    KaySera Posts: 45 Member
    Options

2-3h walking do not increase your heart rate but it sure burns more calories than sitting on the couch. I count my walks as exercise! They even elevate my heart rate since I'm sometimes a little sweaty after walking uphill.

Ok - I agree that it burns calories - I've been doing it every day for the past 10 years, and I know I would have been a lot heavier if I hadn't been doing it....BUT it doesn't raise my heart rate anymore and I don't sweat (or even "glow"!!).

I'd really like to lose these last couple of pounds, so I'm reading this topic with great interest. :smile:
  • Scoobies87
    Options

I only have 2/3 lbs left to lose, I changed to 0.5lb a couple of weeks ago so I can now eat over 1400 calories and it's working (so far!).

I am already at 0.5lb a week weight loss and it still only recommends that I eat 1,200 calories! It doesn't matter what I change it to, MFP is adamant that I eat 1,200 calories! GRRR. Maybe when I start full time work next week I will be busier and able to eat more (I am hoping!)
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options

I am already at 0.5lb a week weight loss and it still only recommends that I eat 1,200 calories! It doesn't matter what I change it to, MFP is adamant that I eat 1,200 calories! GRRR. Maybe when I start full time work next week I will be busier and able to eat more (I am hoping!)

That doesn't make sense- your maintenance can't be 1450 that seems very low unless you are sedentary and very small?

Other than that some people eat maintenance for a week or two and then drop back to 1200 and afterwards again which can kick things into gear.
  • ashimon
    ashimon Posts: 23 Member
    Options

It does burn calories. Pretty easy to find out how many. Buy yourself a heart rate monitor or GPS watch and it will tell you exactly how many calories you have burned. I personally have the Nike+ GPS watch and go on two 45 minute walks a day w/ my dog. I burn on average ~224 calories per walk. Good Luck with your goals. Hope this helps.
  • Scoobies87
    Options
    I know I thought it didn't sound right at all either. I am very sedentary, I am out of work so apart from the extra exercise I do, I pretty much just sit around all day and do some housework here and there.

I followed the link that someone above posted and another calorie website gave me 200 calories more a day :S So I am very confused!!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Judging from your profile pic, just keep doing what your doing and maintain.