started c25k 8-8, ran my first race Sunday...10k!

Options
j_courter
j_courter Posts: 999 Member
:happy: I just wanted to share this with all of you who have started or have thought about starting the c25k running program (couch to 5k). I have never been a runner. Never liked it, and frankly I never understood the fascination. Any time I ran it was away from something and I always thought I was going to die! :ohwell:

Through MFP I heard about a program that actually took people who weren't runners and transformed them into people who loved running, but I never thought it would work for me. I skeptically started C25K on 8-8-11 and gradually built up running time. After several weeks, running actually became enjoyable. I began to look forward to my runs and it was also great me time (as a mommy of 4 young children, i need that occasionally). I have become stronger than I ever thought possible and have pushed myself beyond whatever limitations I thought I had. Some days are easier than others, but often getting started is the hardest challenge of all.

I planned to run a 5k on October 31 to celebrate how far I had come, but as the time drew nearer, I realized I wanted more! A 10K??? Me??? YES! So..... instead of running the 5K Pumpkin Run on Sunday, I ran the 10K! Wa-hoo! :glasses: At the beginning of August I was proud to run for 60 seconds at a time and yesterday I ran 6.2 miles in 1:04.15! If you're thinking about giving the program a try, I would certainly encourage you to go for it. If I can do it, you can too! :bigsmile: Who knows??? You may even begin to enjoy it like me! :flowerforyou:

I will admit, I'm a little miffed about getting beat by a banana, but I'm going to push myself to get faster and who knows, maybe next year I'll peel that sucka! :tongue:

Replies

• mandygal13
    mandygal13 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!!! I just "walked" my first 5K Saturday and was so proud to finish! Way to go!
  • soccermum75
    soccermum75 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Wow! Congratulations on your race. Running can be addictive. You have been warned. LOL
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    1:04 in a 10K as a newbie! AMAZING! Forget the banana...you are the bomb! Great job! And if you want to know how awesome you did, I finished C25K last year (Nov. 2010) and I'm just now getting around to running my first 10K race in 12 days! WTG!
  • tcdawley78
    tcdawley78 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Great job!! I'm starting running again too, and finding the more I run, the more I get back into enjoying it!! :-D
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    congratulations! and don't feel bad about the banana...I got beaten by a 5 year old in my first 5k :)
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!! I too have never been a runner until age 38.....I started C25K, and been running for 2 yrs now and LOVE IT! I am doing my first 10K in November......so you are ahead of the pack!! Congrats!!
  • Rags2Righteous
    Rags2Righteous Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!! Thanks for the inspiration and encouragement. :happy:
  • TheCats_Meow
    TheCats_Meow Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    That's awesome and so inspiring!

I just finished W1, D2 this morning so I'm nowhere near the "love" stage of running yet! :laugh:

Hopefully that will come sometime soon, though, I really don't want to quit because I don't like running!

Congrats again on your major victory!!
  • nborsh22
    nborsh22 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your run!!! That's great that you did the 10k!!!

I finished Week 5 of C25K on Saturday, that was the 20 min run. I did it, but thought I was going to die. lol I am like you, was not a runner but wanted to do something to push myself. This is working!! I am a mother of almost 6 year old triplets and have not done much for myself since I was pregnant with them. I have wanted to get back into shape but needed some type of commitment to do it. The C25K was perfect! I run on a treadmill so it tends to get boring, but I can do it in the morning before work and is easier to commit to than outside for me. So for now this is working! Getting on this program has gotten me back on track to doing something for myself that is healthy and gives me some "me time". Once I finish C25K I think it's on to 30 Day Shred!!!
  • grumbleworts
    Options
    That's awesome! I started C25K once, but didn't follow through after Week 1 when other things got in the way. I'm about to start again, and your post is very inspirational. I hate running, so I'm hoping things will change with this. :)

Awesome!
  • niallse
    niallse Posts: 58
    Options
    Waow! Well done you! I also used C25K as my running ain, having been a couch potato for a decade. It is a great aid to start you off , but you have to have the heart and dedication to follow it through. You have both. well done!!! :smile:
  • misstonico
    Options
    Congratulations!

I just started C25K Week 1 Day 1 this morning and I'm feeling pretty skeptical that I will ever love doing it, but I swore I would see it through. I can't even imagine running a 10k right now.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Congrats! You are doing so well, banana or no banana!

As you know, I did my first 10K last weekend (yours was much faster!) and yesterday I ran 8 miles with my sister. I've signed up for a Half Marathon in January so I have some very long runs on my training plan between now and then. I'm not sure if I realized what I was getting myself into when I decided to start running in April....
  • j_courter
    Options
    niallse- thank you. i hope i can hang on to that heart and dedication, especially once the snow starts flying!!

grumbleworts- you can do it, just take it one day at a time. best of luck!

nborsh- wow! 3-6 year olds! i'm sure you are a busy mommy! i did 30 ds too and it really does work! go you!

cj- hang in there. it will get better! :-)

ragstorighteous- love the name.

diamonangel- I don’t know about being ahead, but best wishes for your 10k!

photogrrl- lol… what an awesome 5 year old! Now that is incredible!

Tcamos- it’s fantastic to find something you enjoy… running helps me unplug.

Bobbydaniel- I was pretty excited about that time, but I don’t have much to compare it to. The first time I tried to run 6.2 was this past Monday. I ran it in 71 minutes, so 64 was a pretty awesome jump for me. My husband was running beside me and he pushed me harder than I would have ever thought I could go. Best of luck on your 10k!

Soccermum- I’m figuring that out… already thinking about a mini marathon… crazy stuff!

Mandygal- way to go!
  • j_courter
    Options
    sueinaz- thanks for the tips before the race! :-) best of luck on your half!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    sueinaz- thanks for the tips before the race! :-) best of luck on your half!
    I was glad to offer advice. I hope it all helped. It certainly sounds like you had fun, which is the most important part. :smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!