running in snow

Options
Elzecat
Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
I am running a 5k on Saturday...and just saw that there is a 60% chance of snow showers that day...I am a fairly new runner (last February) and I have not run in snow before. Anyone use "yak traks" with their running shoes, or have any good suggestions? Unless there's a total blizzard, I don't want to skip the 5k because it's for a charity event.

Replies

• avaloneternal
    Options
    I use rubber thingies that have cleats in them that you pull over your shoes. Love them. There is nothing better that going for a nighttime run in the fresh falling snow and making the first tracks. I am excited for winter :)
  • queenpushycat
    queenpushycat Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Woah! I wanna make that as one of my "Things-to-do-before-I-die"... :D "Marathon in winter!"
  • cbear017
    cbear017 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    The winter is my favourite time to run. Most people start their outdoor training in the spring and end in the fall, whereas I start in the fall and end in the spring...lol. I use my YakTrax all the time, otherwise I'd probably wipe out a lot with all of the ice we get. Get them, you won't regret it. Just break them in before the race :)
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Ask the race director if they plan on having the course swept. You may not need anything for your shoes.
  • Elzecat
    Options
    The winter is my favourite time to run. Most people start their outdoor training in the spring and end in the fall, whereas I start in the fall and end in the spring...lol. I use my YakTrax all the time, otherwise I'd probably wipe out a lot with all of the ice we get. Get them, you won't regret it. Just break them in before the race :)

Yak Trax have been highly recommended...we are due to get snow on Wednesday, but I am not running Wednesday due to a concert....but I may pick em up and try em out...
  • Elzecat
    Options
    Ask the race director if they plan on having the course swept. You may not need anything for your shoes.

It's a charity 5k, probably not a very large event...and the snow is actually scheduled to hit Saturday AM probably right around the time we run (9 am) so I doubt if they would sweep the course first...guess I'll find out.
  • avaloneternal
    Options
    I would recommend getting them anyways. You will love the winter running. Mine have paid themselves off numerous times over (Sigh, running in the snow listening to christmas carols).
  • tigerbluefly
    tigerbluefly Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    My friend Clay uses them every winter. I will be buying some for this year.
  • RunningMyButtOff
    RunningMyButtOff Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've never used Yak Tracks, I just run right in the street. It's usually cleaner in the streets than in the sidewalks, plus it's softer on impact. I run right into traffic! I just bundle up and wear multiple thin layers, reflective gear, and go.

I reccomend CW-X pants for when it's really cold out, and under armor mock turtle neck, fleece, hat and gloves!...and Oh, and wool socks!
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of ice cleats i use with my regular shoes they work great. I usually run in my vibrams though so i stick to the road if its icy on the sidewalks.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    You probably don't need anything if you're smart about it. I lived in the White Mountains of NH last winter and I ran throughout the winter (and during several major snowstorms) and never needed anything but my sneakers, some good running gear (Pearl Izumi tights and Mizuno Breath Thermo are the best) and was fine.
  • 1goodymom67
    Options
    last year I ran a race the day after Thanksgiving and it was really cold, icy, and I think flurries. They salted the road. It was good but just bitterly cold. Good Luck on your first race!! WTG!! Stay determined!! :)
  • ddoohaluk
    ddoohaluk Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Like the others above have said Yak Traxs are great for running in snow and ice. Or even better you can make yourself a pair of screw shoes. Instructions can be found here: http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm

After years of running in yak traxs, I switched to screw shoes 3 years ago and won't ever go back. Screw shoes are way more comfortable than yak traxs and not nearly as heavy. Plus they are simple to make.

Now after saying all of that, both yak traxs and screw shoes should only be worn when you have complete snow cover/snow pack/ice cover. If it is just starting to snow and/or there is bare asphalt you will not want to be running in yak trax/screw shoes. I find it quite painful to have the metal of the yak trax.screws to repeatedly hit the asphalt/concrete.

Good Luck and have fun! Winter running is one of my favorite activities.