Anybody else have setbacks along the way?

Options
Hi everyone! I have been actively using MFP for about 10 days now and I just love it!!
Being conscious of what I eat has made all the difference in the world, and I have unfortunately become aware now that I am an emotional eater and to make matters worse, I suffer from depression and bipolar disorder. so I end up doing some binge eating during my episodes of depression. I was so happy to have lost 2 pounds after my first week of using MFP but then I had a depression spell over the weekend and it set me back into my shameful old eating habits. I already gained the 2 pounds back! I worked so very hard to take those 2 pounds off and to see them come back so fast is really discouraging! Does anyone else have these types of setbacks? If you do, how do you stop emotional binging and how have you trained yourself to STOP using food to cope with your emotions? Any suggestions are very welcome right now. Thank you everyone!

Replies

• Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I have a setback almost every weekend called beer and hamburgers.
  • treegirl2154
    treegirl2154 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You can order the book, called Lose it for Life on Amazon for cheap. Really deals with the emotional issues of eating. :)
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I do have this problem... and since I know I enjoy eating at certain times, I just changed what I eat.

For example, I'll save calories for the day so I can eat them in bed at night while I watch TV.
    Instead of donuts and chips (my old favorites) I make fun greek yogurt --- I'll take a container of fage 0% and add pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, agave, chia seeds, walnuts ..it's like a healthy pumpkin pie. Then I eat it with a baby spoon so it lasts longer :)

I learned how to make "chips" out of cheese, rutabaga, sweet potatoes etc...and I'll make a big batch and divide them into snack bags so I can track the calories easier.

You won't fix your emotional eating just being here -- that might involve counseling -- but you can at least make better choices and not feel so guilty about it! :)
  • cbonuz
    cbonuz Posts: 63
    Options
    We all have times like these....the point is not to beat yourself over it. When it happens to me, I just tell myself that today is another day and today I will be in charge. Don't let your emotions rule you.....when you feel those symptoms coming on, get up and do something to occupy your time....go for a walk....get your nails done (this will keep you from picking any food up :)). Do something for you to make you feel better!!The support I always received MFPs is awesome! Good luck!
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Yep- Almost every weekend...It kills me. Having Halloween and all the holiday foods around me right now isn't helping my pants fit any better either.
  • kendrafagan
    Options
    :happy: Thank you FormicaMan! You made me smile and you have lost a good amount of weight too, so I know there will be hope for me too. Thank you for sharing!
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Just keep trying! Every day is a new day. I have trouble, too, but it does get easier with perseverance!
  • dadoffo
    dadoffo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    You're not alone. Same here with the weekend setback.
  • dcjackson50
    Options
    Totally set back this past Sunday as a family dinner took place at the Chinese Buffet ugggghhhh (grandma loves it ?! ) so,...sodium through the roof obviously, and all the work I did in the gym seems like a waste from last week,.....but, I am looking at it as my cheat day, I don't normally go in fact it is once as year so back on the horse today and ready to meet and exceed goals.

One day didn't get me fat, and one day alone won't wreck my progress
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about bipolar disorder, but when I'm feeling down or just feel like eating for no good reason, I make myself get up, get out and exercise instead. It reminds me of my goals and exercise endorphins definitely help lift a bad mood!

Also..you probably didn't actually gain 2 lbs back in one day or weekend. Its most likely water weight from higher sodium foods, so get back on track and you shouldn't see that sticking around for long!
  • kendrafagan
    Options
    Thank you, MissMaryMac33!!!
    You are a HUGE inspiration for me! I LOVE the creativity that you came up with --- to substitute the bad binge foods with good foods and to eat with a baby spoon to make the yogurt last longer. That is a super smart idea! You are amazing and I am going to apply some of this tricks too for the next episode that comes my way. It is best to just accept the binging episodes and work with them instead of fighting or denying them, because that will just make it worse. Thank you so much!!!!!
    03258 Posts: 60
    Options
    Oh yeah. I have them all the time. No huge words of wisdom. None of us would be here if we didn't have problems with food. I just keep reminding myself that this is a process. It will take some ups and downs to adjust your old habits. I have lost 25 pounds and feel like I am at a crossroads. The excitement of losing is wearing off and I want to go back to my old habits and eat whatever I want. But I need to figure out a way to stick with this!!! I'm taking a meal at a time today. Good luck. Wish there was an easier magical way...let me know if you find one. Hah :-)
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain back the 2 lbs in a weekend hon... But you prolly didn't really lose all fat for 10 days either... You gain and lose water weight easy.. If you were staying under your calorie goal then you were losing. .Prolly lost 1lb of fat and one pound of water so you gained 3lbs of water.. Make sure if eating poorly to drink as much water as possible hon.. Sodium makes you gain water weight and hang on to it.. Sweets contain sodium- not just salty foods... Don't worry bout weekends or occassional set backs... just stay healthy as much as you can and just ignore setbacks... :) keep going.. You can do this
    Kimmy
  • dobarber
    dobarber Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I have been actively using MFP for about 10 days now and I just love it!!
    Being conscious of what I eat has made all the difference in the world, and I have unfortunately become aware now that I am an emotional eater and to make matters worse, I suffer from depression and bipolar disorder. so I end up doing some binge eating during my episodes of depression. I was so happy to have lost 2 pounds after my first week of using MFP but then I had a depression spell over the weekend and it set me back into my shameful old eating habits. I already gained the 2 pounds back! I worked so very hard to take those 2 pounds off and to see them come back so fast is really discouraging! Does anyone else have these types of setbacks? If you do, how do you stop emotional binging and how have you trained yourself to STOP using food to cope with your emotions? Any suggestions are very welcome right now. Thank you everyone!

2 steps forward and one steps back. Happens almost every other week for me. This week I was under the 310 mark then I did some binge eating and I'm back up over 310. The key here is to keep trying. Eventually you'll lear what your triggers are and learn to make better choices when you see them coming. Don't give up.
  • akwagner25
    Options
    I have them all the time. It happens, don't let it discourage you. Just take control the next day. If the emotional eating is controlling more than just a day here or there, you'll need to look hard at why you're emotionally eating and try to get control of those feelings. You may need to look at counseling. Just remember that you can do this, just find your inner strength and take back that control.
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    2lbs over the weekend gained back, at least part of that is probably water weight, and if you can drink some extra water and workout hard some of that should go away in a day or two. Everybody falls off, what makes a difference is if you get back up and keep moving or let it drag you down and you stay with the unhealthy choices. You'll find a lot of people have a cheat day or cheat meal from time to time. Sometimes they are planned and sometimes they aren't but if you except that even super models like Heidi Klum occasionally eat a couple of french fries then you can except that us lowly peons can occasionally hit a rough patch. Good luck!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Something else...

Why don't you get on your profile and fill in your reasons for wanting to lose, and your motivations (or make your own private list if you prefer and put it up on the fridge or your bathroom mirror). Sometimes it helps to have something to look at when you're feeling crummy to remind yourself why you're doing it in the first place and keep your focus!
  • sryan8408
    sryan8408 Posts: 244
    Options
    Did you know that exercise is really good for emotional problems? It helps your body release endorphines that make you feel better. Also I've given this advice many times but it bares repeating. To help with my emotional eating and self esteam issues, I made my fridge my "bulletin board of fitness" Every day I pick out something I like about myself and write it on a pretty colored index card. I also write down how much weight I've lost, my inches lost etc. And if I ran for a record amount of time for myself I write that down too. Or you can even write down "Went to applebees with the girls and still ate healthy" and quotes that inspire yourself. So when you are down and about get your work out clothes on, take a look at that fridge and say "I am in control of my destiny and food will no longer control me." And get your workout on!

PS: Luna protein bars are amazing for a sweet treat and good for ya after that great workout!
  • dadoffo
    dadoffo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain back the 2 lbs in a weekend hon... But you prolly didn't really lose all fat for 10 days either... You gain and lose water weight easy.. If you were staying under your calorie goal then you were losing. .Prolly lost 1lb of fat and one pound of water so you gained 3lbs of water.. Make sure if eating poorly to drink as much water as possible hon.. Sodium makes you gain water weight and hang on to it.. Sweets contain sodium- not just salty foods... Don't worry bout weekends or occassional set backs... just stay healthy as much as you can and just ignore setbacks... :) keep going.. You can do this
    Kimmy

What she said. During the weekend I'm bad at not drinking water so my body starts to keep water and thus keeping the water weight.
  • candeebandland
    Options
    I love your snack ideas. Thanks