How do you Mums do it?

Options
Just wondering how those of you with young children avoid tempations at their meal times! I always want to pick at theirs and its taking quite a lot of restraint!!! Especially when its somethng 'treaty'.
What are your coping techniques?

Replies

• Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I'll answer as a father, because I feed my child too...

My daughter eats healthy whole foods, so if I decide to eat off her plate.. it's still good for me food.
  • ladyhunter2011
    ladyhunter2011 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It can be very hard, I feed my family what I am eating and that is a bit easier. I want my girls to learn early good eating habits. Maybe they won't have the same struggles and issues that I had growing up. That is my goal and plan anyways.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    best WW tip ever as soon as your children have finished eating squirt washing up liquid on the left overs ( used to buy a value bottle)

You have to do it quick though before you think about it or your lost!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I feed my child the same thing that I'm eating. I'm trying to have good eating habits and live that lifestyle, so why shouldn't he eat healthfully as well?
  • brbetha01
    brbetha01 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Anything that can be seen as a treat, I remind myself that he doesn't eat a lot of sugar anyways so what little bit he gets - is his.
  • brbetha01
    brbetha01 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Anything that can be seen as a treat, I remind myself that he doesn't eat a lot of sugar anyways so what little bit he gets - is his.
  • 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I don't give the kids too much sugar but I find their mealtimes really hard. Its not just what they are eating but the time they are eating. They eat around 5pm since it takes quite a long time to get all 4 of the washed and into pj's afterwards and the triplets are only just learning to do it themselves. My dh doesn't come home until around 9pm and we eat then so I'm more tempted to eat something at both meals. I'ts driving me crazy!
  • 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I'll answer as a father, because I feed my child too...

My daughter eats healthy whole foods, so if I decide to eat off her plate.. it's still good for me food.

My mistake and I'm sorry. I was going from personal experience in which my husband does not cook for our children. I should have said parents.
  • wannababyH
    Options
    We all eat the same thing, now. Even before I started eating better, my son ate healthy. I couldn't stand to give him the crap I gave myself. (I just had horrible will power for myself.)
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Chewing gum helps me when I'm preparing food I shouldn't be sampling.

Also, are you hungry when the kids are eating? Not being hungry helps fighting the temptation... You can try having a healthy and filling snack a bit earlier. High protein snacks usually keeps me away from food longer (Greek yogurt, eggs...)

Or you could split your calories so you coul eat a bit with the kids and the rest with your husband!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I don't give the kids too much sugar but I find their mealtimes really hard. Its not just what they are eating but the time they are eating. They eat around 5pm since it takes quite a long time to get all 4 of the washed and into pj's afterwards and the triplets are only just learning to do it themselves. My dh doesn't come home until around 9pm and we eat then so I'm more tempted to eat something at both meals. I'ts driving me crazy!
    Then set up a snack allowance for the time that the kids are eating. It's good to sit down to eat with your children, that way you're not just feeding them but also leading by example, dinner time is also an important reconnect time when everyone gathers to share their lives. I know it doesn't feel that way, but as the mother of a 2 yo that's what i try to do. My DH doesn't get home until 8:30 so I sit with my son for dinner at 6 (an usually sip on a glass of wine while he eats), and eat dinner by myself after he goes to bed at 7:30, and I have a snack if DH eats dinner when he comes home. I'm excited for a time when my son's appetite is a little more predictable so that I can eat with him.
  • flausa
    flausa Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    You could always serve yourself a small portion of what they are eating as an afternoon snack, especially seeing as you aren't eating your dinner until so late in the evening. If what they are having is healthy, there's no reason you can't have some as well ... just don't eat a whole meal!
  • slbeutler
    slbeutler Posts: 205
    Options
    I feed my kids the same thing I eat as well. For snacks, I also keep a fruit bowl and a basket with food they are allowed to snack on. My kids are both underweight and so the only difference they get from me is full fat milk and they can have seconds at meals. I do let me kids have some junk food, because my parents would not allow me to have it at all growing up and so when I got old enough to get a hold of it myself, I would hide it in my room and binge on it when I had the chance. I am trying to teach them healthy portion sizes and that it is okay in moderation. We do eat very healthy meals though and they are allowed to have one "junk food" snack a day. That might be a small bag of chips, 1 cookie etc. I don't find it hard to stay away from those things.

My kids love chicken, fish, shrimp and most vegetables. I always prepare them a baked potato, rice or some type of filler carb that I don't eat, and I agree that is difficult for me to not eat a little bit of.
  • DaniellePF
    DaniellePF Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I feed my 2 year old whatever we are eating, so that nullifies that temptation.
  • DaniellePF
    DaniellePF Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I feed my 2 year old whatever we are eating, so that nullifies that temptation.