winter running gear

Options
It has become apparent to me that I need to get some winter running gear. My question is this: what are your favorite items to run in during the heart of winter.

The temp should range from -20 to 35 degrees throughout the winter months. Tell me what you like and at what temperature it works for you! I am specifically shopping around for tights, but am in need of just about everything winter.

Replies

• cpegasus01
    cpegasus01 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Bump. I am interesting in knowing also.
  • n3wlif3styl3
    Options
    bump

good questioN!
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I just bought some great running tights from The Gap. Their body collection is great. They kept me really warm during a road race I had where the temperature started out around 38 degrees.
  • ckdub428
    ckdub428 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say congrats for having the dedication to run in -20 to 35 degree weather!! No way for me!!!

Keep up the great work!!
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    i love everything smartwool...but it's expensive! i have a beanie and glove liners that are pretty nice if it's not super cold...like in the high 30s - low 40s. i also have a mountain hard wear shirt that's pretty decent.

i'm struggling with tights also..i have a pair but they don't fit right..they keep sagging. good luck in your search!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    1 pair of thin tights
    1 pair of heavy tights

1 light weight long sleeved shirt
    1 heavy weight long sleeved shirt
    1 light weight polartec fleece
    1 light weight wind/rain shell

If you run in colder temps, I also suggest a pair of good long underwear and a heavy weight polartec fleece.

And if you're serious about running, and running in the cold, it's worth paying for better gear/brands. Champion stuff from Target works, but can't compare to Ibex or Craft or similar.

Mix and match based on conditions.

• u2fergus
    u2fergus Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    1 pair of thin tights
    1 pair of heavy tights

1 light weight long sleeved shirt
    1 heavy weight long sleeved shirt
    1 light weight polartec fleece
    1 light weight wind/rain shell

Mix and match based on conditions.
    Thanks for the specifics!! :) I've been wondering about this myself.
  • m2the2ndPOWER
    m2the2ndPOWER Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Nike and Under Armour both make running gear specific to temperature conditions especially with the winter months approaching. I really like the fit of both since Im a little curvier in hips and thighs (and I'm 5'9'' so length is also a dilema).

I also recommend purchasing a vest on days were its not cold enough to wear a jacket but not warm enough to go with a long shirt...it really makes a difference to help keep your core warm. A good pair of gloves is also important.

This is my turn to site to figure out what to wear on certain days:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/whattowear/0,7152,s6-240-325-330-0,00.html
  • MrsRadder
    MrsRadder Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I wear gloves looking for a better jacket warm but breaths any suggestions?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I wear gloves looking for a better jacket warm but breaths any suggestions?

Polartec fleece.
  • tbnjnichols
    Options
    Definitaly layer your items, starting with a nice lightweight sweat wicking material (something like tights), and then continue to add lighterweight layers that don't overly weigh you down and that also keep you warm enough. Up in northern Michigan I have the same problem, usually by the end of my runs I am carrying clothing home :) I also try to use a head band to cover my ears because wearing a knit hat keeps in too much heat. Under Armour carries a great line of winter running clothes, you can always google it and get some ideas that way as well!

One other suggestion is getting a pair of ice/snow grabbers, they slide on over your running shoes and give you traction to avoid slipping and being injured. These are pretty inexpensive at department stores (like Wal-Mart or K-Mart).
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    The only time I wear tights is if it drops below 30...and in south central Texas, it doen't happen very often! My favorite moisture wicking long sleeve is from Brooks. I will start in gloves, then peel them off.
  • jessienicole05
    jessienicole05 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    bump
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    If you ever run when it's icy or the streets are covered with packed snow, get some YakTrax!
  • aemh
    aemh Posts: 5
    Options
    Not a runner, I mostly hike and ski, but living in Colorado I have some experience with winter conditions. I bought some pretty decent pants from Cabela's last year - they're some sort of synthetic fabric, I've worn them for everything from hiking across snowfields in the mountains to base layering under ski pants, and never got uncomfortably cold. And they're comfy enough to lounge around the house in.

These pants seem to be like them, but they're not quite the same:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Clothing/Womens-Clothing/Womens-Activewear-Clothing/Womens-Active-Bottoms|/pc/104797080/c/104789880/sc/104180580/i/107641980/Cabelas-Womens-Spring-Vista-Pants/1175705.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fclothing-womens-clothing-womens-activewear-clothing-womens-active-bottoms%2F_%2FN-1104653%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_107641980%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%25253BMMcat104797080%253Bcat104180580&WTz_l=SBC%253BMMcat104797080%3Bcat104180580%3Bcat107641980

My only complaint is that they didn't hold up quite as well as I'd hoped, some of the stitching around the waist is starting to come apart. But they're thirty-buck pants, if you compare that price with the name brands it's not surprising that they're not quite as durable. I haven't taken any special care when washing them so that could be a factor too.

I don't know if wind is a factor where you live, but if it is I'd recommend getting some of the plasticky windbreaker pants to go on top of your base layer. They're noisy but it can make a huge difference.

Mostly, too, I'd recommend layering layering layering - you'll start off chilly when you first get out but will be sweaty not too far into your workout and will need to take off some layers.
  • mewhisler
    mewhisler Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I generally wear:
    - pair of tights - thin but warm (winter tights)- Under Armour
    - pair of winter pants on top to cut the wind - don't remember but any wind winter running pants are good if you have the tights underneath
    - long sleeved shirt that is 'winter wick' - meaning when you sweat, it doesn't get soaked and make you cold. I wear Nike ones
    - good winter running jacket - not just wind protected
    - fleece hat that has a hole for my pony tail - best thing ever. i don't remember the brand, but you can just google any and I am sure it will be good
    - I wear mittens because my hands get cold and generally mittens keep them warmer/longer.

sometimes, it takes serious motivation for me to get out below 40 degrees...so I put the running clothes in the dryer for 10 minutes before my run and get them nice and toasty :)
  • wendybird2
    wendybird2 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    The thing I'd add to the list would be a fleece vest, especially for bitterly cold, snowy days. I usually wear it over a long sleeve shirt to keep my core warm, and only wear a windbreaker shell on top if it's really windy.

Oh, and I recommend knee-high Smart Wool Socks for snow running also!

Don't forget gloves: thin liner pair for cold days, and fleece mittens (not gloves) to wear over on the freeze-your-butt-off days!
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    First off, you guys rock for answering my question! Second, it will be quite breezy where I live (college, in IL).
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I HATE the cold, but when I was running in Ohio, I wore a ski mask on particularly cold days (10-15 degrees). Cotton gardening gloves were my favorites for winter running when the temps were more moderate (30-45 degrees). Being a wimp to the cold, 10 degree days with driving winds finally curtailed my running for a couple of months that year in Ohio. Stay warm and enjoy!
  • RunLiftEat
    RunLiftEat Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I live along lake Michigan in Wisconsin and wear reebok cold weather tights on legs, with adidas climaproof pants over them.
    For my top I wear long sleeved underarmour coldgear shirt with a hoodie on top. If it is windy or snowing, I will put a windbreaker over that.
    I usually just wear a head band and baseball cap, but if its really windy or cold out, i wear an underarmour coldgear hood.
    I also wear a pair of cold weather running gloves.
    I am never cold, but may feel a slight chill once I step out. But after a minute or to, I feel perfectly fine.