weight training for fat loss and metabolic boost

Options
Ok..so i'm looking to add in 2 days of weight training to my cardio workouts and jillian michaels (which incorporates strenth as well) videos.... i will have about 40 mins on my lunch break every monday and friday to do this... any suggestions for a routine to get maximum results?!?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Compound lifts. Lift as heavy as you can for 6 reps. Try for 3 sets.
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I am doing ChaLEAN Extreme, and I swear this is a great program. The weights videos on the first section (Burn) are 32-28 mins. long. I think the Push & Lean videos (the second & third sections) are a little longer, maybe 45 mins.

Good luck to you, hope you find a program that works for you!:smile:
  • cgavin77
    cgavin77 Posts: 219
    Options
    bump.... I'd like to know as well.
  • BodyWontBreak
    Options
    I think it depends on the person. For women, more reps at a lighter weight helps to build leaner muscle mass where as less reps at a higher weight builds bigge rmuscles.

I do strength training several times a week as well as circuit training twice a week. The circuit training might be good for you. It's a minute on the weights, rest for 30 seconds, a minute of cardio. Mine lasts about 30 minutes and incorporates upper and lower body.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

^^ This
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Yep.

squats, dead lifts, pull-ups, rows, bench press...
  • jennor8or
    jennor8or Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU ALL!!! ... so that whole "low weight high reps to tone" is crapola? cool...i love to feel a good burn! Lift like a man and look sexy like a lady! *woot*
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person. For women, more reps at a lighter weight helps to build leaner muscle mass where as less reps at a higher weight builds bigge rmuscles.

I do strength training several times a week as well as circuit training twice a week. The circuit training might be good for you. It's a minute on the weights, rest for 30 seconds, a minute of cardio. Mine lasts about 30 minutes and incorporates upper and lower body.
    This is a myth. To build muscle on calorie deficit is practically impossible (there are a couple of exceptions). Higher reps are for muscle endurance. Lower reps are to build strength.