Pregnant???

Options
Shweedog
Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
Possible TMI guys. Ladies- I stopped birth control last month. I was supposed to start my period last Tuesday. I have been on bc for 15 years. Cycle is like clockwork. I have stopped bc in the past for a few months and my cycle continued to be like clockwork- every 28 days. I am now 6 days late. I took two prego tests. One last Thursday (2 days late) and one on Saturday (4 days late). Both negative. So, either my period is really off this time around off of bc or I am in fact prego. My question is- if I am prego when should I take the next test and expect reliability? If my cycle is off then my ovulation would have started later than anticipated and therefore the last 2 prego tests may have been too early. The tests say they're 99% reliable on the day of your expected period, and afterwards. I want to know! We are trying to conceive but my goodness I didn't realize it might happen so quickly after stopping the pill! Thank you for any insight. I obviously will go to the dr when I get a positive result. Thanks again!!!

Replies

• BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I HAVE NEVER MET THIS WOMAN!

:wink: :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    It's unlikely you're pregnant and more likely you're late due to the change in your hormones from going off BC and potentially from the stress of knowing you are trying to conceive, etc...

BUT, you could be :) So take the prenatal and be as good as you can be! I got pregnant within days off BC. It does happen.
  • kb455
    kb455 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    If you really are 6 days late, it should definitely be showing up on a pregnancy test by now. I'd say wait a few days, take another test. If it still hasn't started, call the doc for a blood test? Have u tried any of the early results tests like ept?
  • Shweedog
    Options
    If you really are 6 days late, it should definitely be showing up on a pregnancy test by now. I'd say wait a few days, take another test. If it still hasn't started, call the doc for a blood test? Have u tried any of the early results tests like ept?

Yes. That is the one I used both times. Is the blood test more reliable?
  • Jones4177
    Jones4177 Posts: 136
    Options
    My wife went off her BC and was late 1 week....then decided to go back on and she was late again. Oh and she also took Preg test and she wasn't pregnant
  • Jones4177
    Jones4177 Posts: 136
    Options
    My wife went off her BC and was late 1 week....then decided to go back on and she was late again.
  • Shweedog
    Options
    It's unlikely you're pregnant and more likely you're late due to the change in your hormones from going off BC and potentially from the stress of knowing you are trying to conceive, etc...

BUT, you could be :) So take the prenatal and be as good as you can be! I got pregnant within days off BC. It does happen.

That is what I was thinking. The only thing that makes me question it is that when I stopped bc in the past I still had a regular cycle. I guess things can change though. And I started prenatal pills as soon as I stopped the pill. :)
  • DarkAngel525
    Options

This ^^ Alot of things can throw my cycle off a day or so. When I moved from Texas to South Carolina, the stress of moving and going through a breakup set my period off about 9 days. Then the next month only about 4, then I was back on track, and that was even WITH birth control. I think you're fine, but for peace of mind, go on to the doctor.
  • melissa0001
    melissa0001 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    It is possible to get pregnant that first month off bcp, i did!

But you are right ovulation could have been later than normal so it may be earlier for your period to start or for a test to show positive. Wait another week or so, or go to the dollar store and get a bunch of dollar preganancy tests ( I did this, they are accurate early as it showed me pregnant 4 days past ovulation with my second!) Then you are not peeing on $10.00 everytime!
  • HealthiHannah
    HealthiHannah Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    When I went off b/c it threw my body into tailspins and I was 6-7 days late for 3 months in a row. Since you've had 2 negatives already, you most likely are just experiencing the side effects to coming off the pill. Take another test though, either blood or an at home, either one will def show up this far past your expected period.
  • mistigoodwin
    mistigoodwin Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are. I took 4 pregnancy tests (urine), 2 blood test and they all said negative. I wasn't having a period at all, and the next thing you know I'm 7 weeks pregnant. I knew somthing was up because my stomach hurt a lot and I never miss a period. I'd just wait a little longer and take another test. Could be horomones and your body adjusting to not taking the pill. Good Luck!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I was three months "late" after stopping BC the last time (was on it for 10 years, but took breaks and cycle was always like clockwork during those breaks). You certainly could be pregnant. I personally know of a couple people who got pregnant right away after stopping BC. Wait a few days, take another test. If you still don't get your period and test is negative, seeing your doctor might be a good idea. (Although if their blood test is negative, they might just tell you to wait more. After I was three months late I was given a "hormone challenge" to induce my period and tested my thyroid levels. Cycle has been pretty wonky every since.... But that's another story.
  • Bridget28152723
    Bridget28152723 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    If you recently stopped BC your cycle will change, BC makes it more regular usually. Wait at least a week and a half before taking a pregnancy test. If you are pregnant those tests will work, Did you have sex after getting off BC? From personal experience after you stop BC pills its easy to get pregnant right away! Wait 1 week to be sure take another test , if it says your not pregnant , go see a doc to be sure your ok. Good Luck!
  • Shweedog
    Options
    Wait another week or so, or go to the dollar store and get a bunch of dollar preganancy tests ( I did this, they are accurate early as it showed me pregnant 4 days past ovulation with my second!) Then you are not peeing on $10.00 everytime!

LOL! That's a great idea!!!
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    It very well could happen - I have a friend who got pregnant her first time around once she quite her BC. I would wait a week, try another pregnancy test, if still no TOM then go get bloodwork done. I have had friends who were pregnant that didn't show up on the home pregnancy test but did when bloodwork was done. The bloodwork is much more accurate.

In my opinion, your body is just off from stopping BC. When I stopped my BC over 3 years ago to start trying, I was late for 3 weeks because my body was just off. Then, 4 months later I was pregnant. Best of luck to you.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

That is what I was thinking. The only thing that makes me question it is that when I stopped bc in the past I still had a regular cycle. I guess things can change though. And I started prenatal pills as soon as I stopped the pill. :)

Good for you and good luck!

As far as the blood test goes, my doctor recently said a pee test is just as effective these days. However, I think that opinion differs between physicians. It's really up to you. If positive, it should show up on an EPT in another week for sure!
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    It really is supposed to happen with no problems. That is the way it was intended. I got off my bc in Nov 2007 and was pregnant Jan 2008 and my son born Oct 2008. I would think you are probably just off because of the bc but then again, who knows. Just be smart and healthy until you know for sure.
  • mcintyrekn
    mcintyrekn Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I highly doubt that you are pregnant. Your body is just regulating itself. It happens. If you already took two pregnancy tests at different intervals, you aren't pregnant. Take another one for peace of mind. Also, take it in the morning if you plan on taking another one. But, like I said, your levels of HCG would have already been high enough, especially if you were 6 days late at the time of your test. Either way you want the test to turn out....good luck! :)
  • jan_andrea
    jan_andrea Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    The "period" you get on the pill isn't a true menstrual period -- it's a withdrawal bleed from the week you're not on the hormones. When the pill was first introduced, it was taken continuously and there was no bleeding, but users felt it wasn't natural, so the week off was added to make it more palatable. A true period occurs between 13-15 days after ovulation (assuming your hormones are all normal), so if you're not ovulating (and you don't on the pill -- that's how it works), you don't have a period.

For the OP, you might have a withdrawal bleed some time after stopping the pills, but you won't have a real period until you've ovulated, and that might take a few weeks. It takes longer for some women to normalize after going off the pill than others, and that can change at different points in your life, too, so if it's been a few years since the last time you went off, that can make a difference. You might consider charting for a while -- see http://www.tcoyf.com/ for details on that. I used it at various times in my life both to prevent pregnancy and to conceive, and while it takes a bit of work (just taking your temperature every morning, really, and checking your cervical fluid), it really works. It will help you pinpoint if and when you're ovulating, and if you take your temperatures after ovulation, you can also usually get an early indication whether you're pregnant, too.
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Doctor...ASAP

Your body is like no one else's...