How to calculate the calories.....?

Options
I need your help.

How would you input these into a recipe - I slow cook a venison roast in 2 cans of cream of celery and then take it out. How do you calculate the calories for that??? We aren't consuming the cream of celerly (at least not much) because a lot is left in the crock pot and we don't use the leftover juice for gravy or anything. I assume some of it is absorbed into the roast..... what would you do?

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options
    Not worry about it. As far as the calories in the venison are concerned, just take a look at www.nutritiondata.com and plug in the weight, which only you know.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Did you create a recipe? If not, create one. It will calculate all the info for you. That way it's there for the next time you make it. Don't forget to put the number of servings.

Venison Tenderloin
    Nutrition Facts
    Amount Per Serving ( 3 oz ) (85.0 g)
    Calories 127
    Calories from Fat 18
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 2.0g
    Saturated Fat 1.0g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0.1g
    Monounsaturated Fat 0.5g
    Cholesterol 75mg
    Sodium 48mg
    Total Carbohydrates 0.0g
    Protein 25.4g
  • MGleason2010
    MGleason2010 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have the calories for the venison, i'm more concerned with how to calcualte the cream of celery that we marinate it in. We don't consume all of the cream of celery because some is left, but obviously some gets soaked in...... would you just not calculate it at all, or maybe just in part?
  • lupa01
    lupa01 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have the calories for the venison, i'm more concerned with how to calcualte the cream of celery that we marinate it in. We don't consume all of the cream of celery because some is left, but obviously some gets soaked in...... would you just not calculate it at all, or maybe just in part?

I would calculate all of the cream of celery because what's left in the crock pot is also mixed with juices from the venison, so its not all just left over soup. If you are consuming considerably less then that's a good thing. I would rather over estimate with the calories than to underestimate and be way off. Don't forget to figure the number of servings as well. Good luck!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options
    Again, the amount of calories absorbed into the meat in a serving would be almost nil...If you decided to drink any appreciable amount then I would look at the calories per ounce in the celery soup...............Regardless of how accurate someone is in their calorie counting, trying to be exact like this is futile in the big picture and might be considered obsessive.
  • jshoe33
    jshoe33 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Measure what's left in the pan...then minus the amount from the container size. You now have a serving size you can measure.
  • MGleason2010
    MGleason2010 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Again, the amount of calories absorbed into the meat in a serving would be almost nil...If you decided to drink any appreciable amount then I would look at the calories per ounce in the celery soup...............Regardless of how accurate someone is in their calorie counting, trying to be exact like this is futile in the big picture and might be considered obsessive.

haha this could be true. :) But you know so many recipes have marinades and all that good stuff that can totally change the calorie count but Cream of Celery isn't much really..... especially in a recipe that serves about 10 people.