Over in protein

Options
I seem to go over in protein a couple times a week and always am about 200-300 calories under a day. Any idea of a problem going over in protein. I still seem to be losing about 2 pounds a week, which is my goal.

Replies

• zippitydo
    zippitydo Posts: 62
    Options
    I seem to go over in protein a couple times a week and always am about 200-300 calories under a day. Any idea of a problem going over in protein. I still seem to be losing about 2 pounds a week, which is my goal.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

MFP sets the protein target too low
    ignore it
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    Going over a little on your protein is fine. You won't have problems unless you are consuming more than two grams of protein per pound of body weight per day. Levels that high can cause issues with you kidneys, but it's pretty hard to eat that much protein, so you will be fine I'm sure.
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Or, if you know what percentages you want for each nutrient, you can set your own goals.

Just go into home, goals, custom, then set your percentages. I'm following P90X's plan right now so I'm not sure what's normal. Maybe 30% protein, 45% carbs, 20% fat?

Otherwise Dave198lbs is right, just ignore going over anything except calories.
  • AllyKM
    AllyKM Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Protein is what builds lean muscle mass so if you are exercising as well as watching what you eat, going over on your protein is actually a good thing (in moderation).
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    MFP is really low. Unless you have kidney problems or you're having more than 1g per pound of weight, ignore it.