Grocery Store Lunch Options

Options
Hi All,

Im looking for suggestions on items to get for lunch from the grocery store. Most days I try to pre plan and pack a lunch but somedays it gets forgotten or i dont have time to create one

So I just go to the Save On Foods down the road from my work on my lunch break and pick something up. I need ideas on what to purchase for lunch. I have access to a fridge and microwave and microwave oven to cook things.

I usually go for soup because its easy and low calorie but its getting boring!

Thanks!

Replies

• kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    There are packets of tuna that don't have to be drained (they come in an envelope-type thing instead of a can). That and some fruit and maybe crackers or nuts. Yogurt is a good option, too.

I know some on here refuse to eat "processed foods", but I will occasionally use a Smart Ones or Lean Cuisine frozen item. There is a large variety of them. Most have done a pretty good job keeping the sodium within reason, which is usually one of the biggest concerns.
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Grab a piece of fruit, a yogurt, maybe a salad or some veggies or something?
  • cc8088
    cc8088 Posts: 41
    Options
    Soup is an easy choice! You can buy those microwavable ones and keep a few in your desk in case of emergency. LOL!
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    a baked potato with greek yogurt in the place of sour cream! YUM!
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Normally I bring in a Healthy Choice entree (they're not as sodium loaded as the other frozen entrees and actually have some flavor). it's an easy grab-and-go in the morning that I can do while trying to get two under-5-year-olds ready for daycare. I do have, however, a drawer stocked at my desk with my snacks for the week (bananas, Fiber One granola bars, etc.) and a variety of cans of Progresso light soups, a cheap bowl and spoon for days I forget my lunch. The only issue with soups that I have is sodium. The Healthy Choice I tend to buy are in the 280-320 calorie range with only 500-600 mg of sodium, the soups, while lower calories, are all in the 1200-1300mg of sodium range for a whole can.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you are lucky enough to have a grocery that serves fresh sushi or has a salad bar, I'd go for that.

Sabra makes single serving packs of hummus which makes a good lunch with an apple Depending on how many calories you alot for lunch you could possibly have 2 packs (150 per single pack).
    Glory foods makes canned beans and rice that are pretty tasty and filling and < 400 calories per can.
    Kashi makes some delicious frozen meals that are actually filling.
    Minute rice makes microwavable pre-cooked brown rice singles which could be a satisfying lunch with a back of steam in the bag fozen veggies.

The sodium is high on some of these but if it's an occasional thing that shouldn't be a big problem.
  • rsratkie
    Options
    I live in a small town and the grocery store caters to a large hispanic community. Most everything is loaded with sugar and fat. I go to the produce department and have requested options like rice cakes which the have now....in the sugary flavored kind. LOL! :huh:
  • AnnieJ63
    AnnieJ63 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I always go for the Michelinas Lean Gourment, Smart Ones and some of the Hormel microwave entrees. Some are a tad high in sodium but I never have a problem with going over for on my daily intake.
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Lots of groceries with deli counters will have or will make you a grilled chicken breast. Pair that with a bagged salad or some mesculin from the produce section, some baby carrots, and and a not terrible salad dressing (I'm partial to Kraft Catalina or the Kraft greek dressing with olive oil), add an apple or banana, and you're all set.

Honestly, I'd rather hit the grocery store for a quick lunch as opposed to a restaurant or fast food. I do keep salad stuff and frozen precooked chicken breasts in the fridge at work for quick lunches.
  • Vulnerable64
    Vulnerable64 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Ya I find it gets the hardest to stay on track when your at work and everyone is going to lunch at the fast food place down the road and I lunch alone at the grocery store instead of with my friends! But these are all great options and I am excited for lunch today!

Thanks again!
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options
    The chicken salad bowls are usually ok, about 220 calories and pretty filling. leave off any dressing (although "light" options don't usually have the dressing).
  • aiyana1228
    aiyana1228 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Someone suggersted the hummas singles. Love that with Snack Factory Pretzel crisps. 110 cal for 11. Eat the hummas (150) with an apple and /or some veggie strips and you have a healthy filling fun lunch.
    Apples and Jiff peanut butter singles is good too.
    If you are going for the frozen meals I second the Kashi. They are much healthier then the others and I think taste much better.
  • Sscha005
    Sscha005 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Fage Greek Yogurt, Tuna Pouches, Wild Planet Sardines! Got these ideas from a guide on healthy options you should buy from the grocery when you're in a hurry! Tell's you ow to make mini meals.

It's been really useful for me.

https://refinebynature.com/2016/05/13/healthy-lunch-items-from-supermarket/
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Smart Ones are delicious in a pinch.

Tortilla wrap and tuna mixed with mustard.

Red pepper dip or hummus with snap peas or baby carrots or mini cucumbers.

Lately I've been eating entire packages of raspberries with lunch. So gooooodddd.
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    You have lots of options.
    Personally I'd buy a premade salad (most grocery stores make really nice ones now) and a piece of precooked chicken from the deli...add the chicken to the salad. If you're not feeling like salad check out their sandwich selection...also check out their soups to go--they may offer chili too. Get some yummy berries for dessert.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If I have to grab something from the grocery store at lunch, I get:

rotisserie chicken or pickled eggs from the deli or yogurt or cottage cheese from the dairy
    and
    vegetables (e.g., cherry tomatoes or snow peas) or fruit from the produce area
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Really depends on the store. Assuming it's only pre-packaged stuff, probably some salad mix with some deli meat or something. Or yeah, some frozen meal.
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    They have those little packs of tuna you can tear open. Deli meat. Deli salad. Yogurt.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I get a bag of salad that includes dressing, and either a can of tuna with a tab-open top, or 1/4 lb of turkey from the deli, or a couple of hard boiled eggs.

That's about it. I hate the frozen meals.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Whole grain roll and avocado.
    Or ham and tomato.
    All you need is a knife, no cooking required.
    And some fruit or plain yoghurt if I'm hungry or have more cals.