"cheat day" ?

Options
My mom was telling me that its important to have a "cheat" day- where basically you can have whatever you want because after you've been dieting for a while, you should reward yourself.
So, is it important to have a "cheat day" or a "cheat meal" once a week? Is it rewarding yourself, or setting yourself up for failure?
What do you think?

Replies

• adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I definitely need a cheat meal once a week! It helps to me to not feel deprived during the week and I definitely don't feel like a failure.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    If you can do it and stop at that meal, or that day, I think its fine. Some people can, and some people just keep on going.
  • bansheechick
    Options
    Everytime I have a cheat day I gain a few pounds back and it takes me all week to get back down :(
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    everything is good in moderation. obviously dont go out and eat a billion calories but let yourself have a little more than normal
  • DarlingThief
    DarlingThief Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    It's not really rewarding as it's resetting your metabolism. We hit plateaus because our body is now used to the amount you're eating. A day where you aren't paying attention won't kill your progress as long as the next day you get back on track.
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I believe if you're planning on healthy living and eating for the rest of your life, then adding in some "treats" is fine. However, I would still log those treats and keep account of your calories, so you know what you're putting in your body.

Having said that though, I've had parties with various home cooked buffet food, and I've not logged a day here or there. I tend to take a day off of logging, but not a day off of being careful with what I put in my mouth. I know I can undo a week's worth of hard work with one day's worth of over -indulgence if I'm not careful.
  • angelxxoh
    Options
    Thank you everyone :-)
  • Barsotti23
    Options
    I absolutely believe it's important for a cheat day. I stay within my targeted calories 6 days a week and then splurge on the 7th day w/out tracking it. I think it works for a couple reasons. First, it makes eating fewer calories each day way more sustainable over the long run. Gives you a day to look forward to late in the week. Second, I think splurging one day a week tricks your body a bit and perhaps lessens the chance of your metabolism slowing due to reduced caloric intake over time. Anyway, I've been using this site for 2 1/2 months and have lost over 20 pounds. I get a spike in weight after my "free day", but the new low for the following week has always (or almost always) been lower than my previous low. So, free days are good - at least it's been working for me.
  • BevMorrison
    Options
    I think a cheat meal does not hurt but only if you have done well all week, it helps you to reward that good behaviour and is not so bad as a cheat day which can undo it.
  • Sonchie
    Sonchie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    when I was losing I would reward myself with a single cheat when i reached a certain goal. For example, a hot fudge sundae after i lost 5 lbs. Whatever my treat might be. Now I still try do the same on maintenance. I see people cheat the whole weekend and I believe thats enough time to undo way too much progress especially since most people dont lose but a coupe lbs per week. I can only say reaching milestones to get the reward worked well for me.
  • revriggle
    Options
    I do a cheat meal every Saturday for lunch. It helps fight the cravings knowing there is a fatty meal waiting for me. As for a cheat day I would "not" recommend that. Depending on how your body reacts to carbs/fats (or just junk food in general) you can easily gain what you worked off that whole week. For me I found that even a cheat meal needs to be within reason. Like a burger an large fry is fine for me but I know guys with high metabolisms that call three burger a burrito, fries, soda, ice cream, and cake a cheat meal.
  • SmangeDiggs
    SmangeDiggs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day once a week but i find as time goes on its less and less indulgent and i only occasionally go over my calories, all the treat food i used to eat just tastes horrible now.
  • revriggle
    Options
    all the treat food i used to eat just tastes horrible now.

Yeah I 2nd that lol. The bad foods just don't taste the same as they used to. Im way sensitive to sugar now. After eating a cupcake I feel the effects of the sugar high.