Anyone with IBS and weight loss issues?

Options
Can someone answer this - I am SOOOO frustrated!!.....is it very difficult to maintain your weight when you have IBS? The scale will reflect up to a 7 lb gain from week to week despite all of my dieting and workouts during the week. Is this normal????!!!!!

Replies

• superbman
    Options
    Are you suffering from diarrhea due to IBS? If so, it might just be water loss. In which case you should keep yourself hydrated.

Edit: Ok sorry. I read your question again. Sorry, I misinterpreted the question. Have you got your thyroid level tested?
  • getfitlaura
    Options
    I also suffer from IBS and it is very difficult to lose weight because of it. My weight fluctuates a difference of 10 lbs on a weekly basis.

I feel your pain!!
  • Fayve
    Fayve Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I have colitis. Sometimes if I'm having a really bad flare, I'll lose weight very fast, but medication will always cause me to gain it back (or severe constipation, which I'm having a bout of right now, ugh).

Just do your best to learn what foods your body reacts to, or bloats with. You can do it :)
  • pwdalt
    pwdalt Posts: 14
    Options
    I have IBS and sometimes with the cycles of diarrhea and constipation with additional "treats" of bloating and gas, I have weight gains. I don't worry about it. I just keep logging my food and walking. IBS is hard to manage and I know that water retention and dehydration will be tricks with the scale.

Peggy
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Aloe vera juice helps a lot with IBS! Good luck!
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Try gauging your success by your measurements. Also I've read that some people with IBS have wheat sensitivities - if you have not already, you might think about getting tested for that or try eliminating wheat to see if it eases your symptoms.
  • twocanjan
    twocanjan Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    have you thought abou trying gluten free. IBS can be a form of celiac
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I have the problem that my IBS is much better when I eat like 600-800 calories per day. Which is dreadful for my health. Otherwise I bloat by up to 4 inches. Cutting out all white carbs has helped, as has realising I am allergic to anything with cow's milk in it. But yes, IBS can screw up the scale. Best to just try and keep hydrated (I mean 3 litres or more per day of water or herbal tea) - we need to make more effort on this one than most people.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    IBS sucks. It doesn't affect my weight, but it definitely impacts my eating habits. Stay away from things that are high in fat and sugar- it makes everything so much worse. Drink lots and lots of water! I'm sorry you have to deal with this =/ It's no fun at all.
  • deannalynn66
    deannalynn66 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for your imput! I will continue to look to my mfp friends for support - it just gets me so down sometimes!
  • ChristyU74
    ChristyU74 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    In addition to cutting out fats and sugars, what has really helped with my IBS symptoms has been cutting out processed/packaged foods...including the ever-so-convenient frozen meals. (Like Lean Cuisine and Smart Ones.) I don't know if any one else has issues with those or with other processed foods, but ditching those has made a world of difference for me. It means extra work when packing my lunches, but I feel so much better!
  • radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    In addition to cutting out fats and sugars, what has really helped with my IBS symptoms has been cutting out processed/packaged foods...including the ever-so-convenient frozen meals. (Like Lean Cuisine and Smart Ones.) I don't know if any one else has issues with those or with other processed foods, but ditching those has made a world of difference for me. It means extra work when packing my lunches, but I feel so much better!

I am much better when I limit sodium and maximize water. Processed foods have a lot of sodium, so maybe that's what's going on with you, too.

I used fluctuate wildly and some days look like I was 6 months pregnant.
    I've almost totally eliminated the bloat by quitting soda, limiting sodium, drinking tons of water, and limiting sugars, fats, and wheat.
  • mtbke5
    mtbke5 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm suffering from a severe case of IBS lately and nothing has helped. I've actually lost about 18 pounds (was already at the low end of normal weight) because anything I eat causes severe bloating, pain and fullness that lasts for hours.
    It is just trial and error to see what works and what doesn't as some days can be really good and others (while eating the same foods) are bad.
  • Kougra
    Kougra Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I have Crohn's disease. The meds I was taking can cause an issue with weight loss. Check with your Doc to see if this could be a side effect or changes your metabolism. If you are taking any kind of steroid as maintenance for your IBS, this could cause alot of water weight. I am currently medication free and taking herbal supplements prescribed by my Doc. Since being off the meds and taking the natural supplements, I have been able to lose.
  • ReverendJim
    ReverendJim Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I joined MFP because of my IBS issues. I'm down 25 pounds now as I've had to modifiy my diet. My symptoms have been extreme, and not totally along the normal lines associated with IBS - but colonoscopy, etc. came out okay. I'm at my wit's end. Now, I'm just tracking everything I eat and exercising a lot. Seen some improvement, but symptoms are only one trigger away, and those can often just be manufactured in my head.
  • ReverendJim
    ReverendJim Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I totally cut out all processed foods and it has helped. I think you are on the right track.