Lost a significant amount of weight?

Options

Replies

• BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    It says as long as you exercise you should essentially be ok.
  • JWeaser
    JWeaser Posts: 302
    Options
    Here is a quote that I found particularly humorous:

"For example, if you weigh 230 pounds and lose 30 pounds, you cannot eat as much as an individual who has always weighed 200 pounds. You basically have a "caloric handicap," says Ryan. And depending on how much weight people lose, they may face a 300-, 400- or even 500-calorie a day handicap, meaning you have to consume that many fewer calories a day in order to maintain your weight loss."
    DUH!!

Another:
    "This means no more grapefruit or cabbage soup diets: You need a diet you can stay on forever. For most people, that means high fiber, low fat and low sugar."

It's called a lifestyle change. If you want to call it a "diet" eating smarter and healthier then yes, I will be on a diet the rest of my life.
    It just slays me, all of the articles about being over weight and how American's are lazy but then they print articles that say, "well yes, you lost weight but you are going to gain it back."
    Mind over matter in my opinion.
  • myurav
    myurav Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    that is an interesting article. i think the important takeaway from this article is that it's still possible to lose weight, no matter what caloric handicap you have. and exercise is even more important because we need to keep our metabolism up.
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I love this! When I lost 90lbs before it always frustrated me that I had to eat 1600 cals or less a day and exercise 30 min to maintain my new weight, which wasn't that low. This helps to explain why. It doesn't make me happy that it will happen again, but it shows that I'm not crazy, it really works that way.
  • dan_jones
    dan_jones Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Funny thing I work at NPR. I was off today and did not hear this piece. Thanks for passing it along. We can all learn from this report. I picked up a few things that are useful. Good Luck to all you Losers. Lets all succeed this year!