Squirrely HRM?

Options
I've had my polar HRM for about three months. Earlier today it was showing a heart rate of 166 when I was sitting down. I stopped and restarted it and it worked fine. Then about an hour later it was paused and I couldn't restart it. Now it's functioning normally again. Anyone know how long to expect the battery to last? Seems like 3 months is pretty quick for the battery to go. I don't know if it's the battery or something else going on with it. Anyone else have this problem with theirs?

Replies

• akgrl1020
    akgrl1020 Posts: 179
    Options
    Had you wet the sensors on your strap? I had that happen a couple of times, when I didn't prep the sensors before I put it on. Also, are you wearing it all day, or just for cardio? I have read that they are not reliable for monitoring resting heart rate, and can pick up interference from other electronic devices, like computers, etc.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Just a thought on this...were the contacts interfered with anything "new" into the environment? Electrical charge/static, for instance
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    By the way you wrote that, it sounds like you're wearing the HRM all day and that's not really the intended use - they're supposed to be for training only. If you've been running the unit all the time, the battery won't last you nearly as long as it would for someone only using it an hour or two a day while exercising.

If that's not true and you just happened to have it running...my suggestions would rely on knowing what model of Polar you have. If it's the newer ones like the FT4 that have the chest strap with the removable batttery/transmitter, you may need to clean the strap, or make sure it's wet before use as per the instructions. Sometimes, also making sure the strap is tightened helps.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I have a Timex Personal Trainer and it does the same thing. Or I'll be running and gasping for air and it'll register my heart rate at like 66. Or drop from 190 to 100 and back up to 180 in like 3 seconds. It's weird. I want to rely on it but don't really trust it, lol.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    My FT4 does the same kind of thing frequently. But sometimes it works just fine....

As others have suggested, make sure you are following the washing instructions (they have a video on the Polar website) and make sure it's not too tight and not too loose, etc.

Good luck--I know it's frustrating!
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Had you wet the sensors on your strap? I had that happen a couple of times, when I didn't prep the sensors before I put it on. Also, are you wearing it all day, or just for cardio? I have read that they are not reliable for monitoring resting heart rate, and can pick up interference from other electronic devices, like computers, etc.

I wet it, but it may have been because I was trying to monitor my resting heart rate. My rate dropped down to 38 at the end of September. I spent the night in the hospital and they basically told me...huh..we don't know why but you're fine now. Go home.
    I was feeling kind of weird again today and it was kind of low..48.. So I put the monitor on to keep an eye on it and fell asleep. So maybe it just wasn't working because I wasn't doing anything.
    Thanks.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    By the way you wrote that, it sounds like you're wearing the HRM all day and that's not really the intended use - they're supposed to be for training only. If you've been running the unit all the time, the battery won't last you nearly as long as it would for someone only using it an hour or two a day while exercising.

If that's not true and you just happened to have it running...my suggestions would rely on knowing what model of Polar you have. If it's the newer ones like the FT4 that have the chest strap with the removable batttery/transmitter, you may need to clean the strap, or make sure it's wet before use as per the instructions. Sometimes, also making sure the strap is tightened helps.

One of the jobs she does is as a Personal Trainer...so Im sure it's plenty good.
  • JaneWrastle
    Options
    It's probably your transmitter, altho if you got it recently i don't know how it ran out of juice. The transmitter battery is supposed to be good for 2500 or 1500 depending on the type - get on the makers website.

I just replaced my transmitter and i am much happier now - back to accurate readings.