Does anyone else have this problem when they eat breakfast?

Options
jonzo21
jonzo21 Posts: 446 Member
I notice that when I eat breakfast I'm usually hungrier in the day (especially an 1-2 hours after I eat), whereas when I sleep through breakfast and just eat lunch I'm not as hungry the rest of the day. For breakfast typically I eat a bowl of oatmeal with a little brown sugar and some kind of fruit like an apple or peach or something. I hear oatmeal is supposed to fill you up because of the fiber, so I don't understand why I end up hungrier after I eat breakfast. Even the days where I used to skip breakfast, I'd be fine until lunch time. Possible reasons and solutions for this? I know its the "most important meal of the day" and shouldn't be skipped, but its annoying that I feel I may go over my calorie limit for the day all because I ate breakfast in the first place.

Replies

• Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Add some good protein and/or have a mid-morning snack.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal only has a few grams of fiber and it's high in carbohydrates (especially with the fruit and brown sugar). You might try something with more protein for breakfast if you want it to fill you up. I always have a snack planned for 2-3 hours after breakfast anyway since I do tend to get hungry around that time no matter what I eat (though it's worse when I haven't had protien). It helps tide me over until lunch.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I think your answer will be protein! Oatmeal just makes me sleepy for some reason....need the protein. We are all different for sure!
  • Xtina1966
    Options
    I have the same problem. I think it's because breakfast kick starts your metabolism thus making you hungrier later. Not sure what to suggest.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    you are not eating the right foods for breakfat then. Besides you should have a small snack 2-3 hours after that. Something like a yogurt or apple with peanut butter. Cottage cheese with fruit..etc.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Sorry I can't help, but I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. :( hope someone can answer this.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    we just did.
  • MrsJax11
    MrsJax11 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal only has a few grams of fiber and it's high in carbohydrates (especially with the fruit and brown sugar). You might try something with more protein for breakfast if you want it to fill you up. I always have a snack planned for 2-3 hours after breakfast anyway since I do tend to get hungry around that time no matter what I eat (though it's worse when I haven't had protien). It helps tide me over until lunch.

This ^...
    I eat breakfast around 7 and always need a snack between 9:30 and 10:30, and will be hungry before my 12:30 lunch. Then after school I work out, and strangely that keeps my hunger in check until around 6 when I am ravenous. Any eating that I do after dinner, though, is generally for pleasure and includes favorite snacks and desserts :)
  • GreenLifeGirl
    GreenLifeGirl Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    You are eating a meal very heavy in carbs and sugar- even if they are "healthy", its still causing you to crash. Generally its good to hit all your macro nutrients (protein, complex carb, fat) in the morning with a higher percentage of protein to keep you satisfied longer. I am not a big breakfast eater either, but I personally have had awesome success with doing this and eating breakfast like this has increased my energy throughout the day and increased my weight loss.

example- oatmeal (not instant) , the apple, and 1/2 cup of cottage cheese! great power breakfast = )

this is what works for me...
  • chipmunk70
    chipmunk70 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    So glad someone else is finding that........I never used to have breakfast, but being told it's the most important meal of the day, have started having something - and like you - finding i'm hungrier for the rest of the day, and struggling to keep within my calories.

I'm sorry but I don't have a solution or answer to this, but thought I'd just let you know your not alone. I know some celebrities only eat one meal a day, they skip breakfast and lunch and just eat in the evening, and a friend of mine is doing that a losing weight at present, and one celeb commenting on it said "I find if I wake my stomach up too early, it just wants to eat and eat, so I leave it asleep until late in the day, then wake it up with food, before going to bed and sleeping" - so maybe there is something in that - not the only eating one meal a day necessarily, but the `waking our stomach's up" - this morning when I woke up - I was fine, then I had some breakfast, and was just hungry for the rest of the day, I seriously think if I hadn't had that breakfast, I wouldn't have been hungry until lunch time at the earliest.

So if anyone has any solutions to this - apart from not eating breakfast - that would great :happy:

Cath
  • jb2323player
    Options
    I have the same issue..If I don't eat breakfast ,I can go till supper time before eating but then at night I'm always hungry :(
    12189612.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • jonzo21
    Options
    glad to hear I'm not alone in this!

Hmm protein suggestions might work. I'm allergic to nuts though, so peanut butter or any kind of nut is out. I don't like cottage cheese either. Is the powder to make protein shakes expensive? I need some cheap protein ideas for the mornings that are quick and don't involve nuts (I also don't really have time to cook up any chicken or anything the night before because I work late and have to be up early at 5am on the next days for school)
  • lynkly
    lynkly Posts: 5
    Options
    Try 2 scrambled eggs (or fried), 1 apple and 10 almonds. This combination is so amazing as it curbs your appetite for a very long time.
  • BrendaPetersen
    BrendaPetersen Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have to eat eggs for protien and make an omlette filled with veggies and a little cheese.....without the protien I am starving I found out :)
  • BrendaPetersen
    BrendaPetersen Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    If you use egg whites (example egg beaters egg whites) it will take the sodium down a ton...which is good also :)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    try skipping breakfast and eating a larger lunch/dinner
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Add some good protein and/or have a mid-morning snack.

Ditto this. When I have oatmeal I add almond butter to it or have flax and almonds or an egg white with it.
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    If I have oatmeal with sugar or with a sugary fruit (peach, banana), I do get hungry again in short order.

If I have oatmeal with just milk and cinnamon, or with nuts or even with a handful of berries, I don't. But I usually do have a mid-morning snack of a handful of nuts or a piece of fruit.
  • kendf60
    kendf60 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I have a shake with almond milk(you could use non fat milk or soy milk) whey protein, fish oil, glutamine, l-carnitine, plain non fat Greek yogurt and different combinations of frozen berries or fruit. I'm usually not hungry until dinner, but if I do, I take a protein bar with me in case I need a snack.
  • jonzo21
    Options
    thanks everyone, I'll try your suggestions. I had some broiled fish this morning for breakfast so I'll see how well my appetite holds up this morning!