Running in Winter

Options
Does anyone have any tips for running in winter? We have a great trail on the lake and I want to take full advantage!

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I don't run trails or anything, I stick to cleared sidewalks and roads, but you could look into those things you put on your sneakers for traction if the trails may be snow covered.

My only other tip would be to get a good jacket that blocks wind and water, a good pair of running tights, some layers to go under, hat and gloves. You should be cold starting out. If you are warm when you start, you are going to get too warm.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Those things for your shoes are yaktrax.

In addition to the other good things listed above, I'd encourage a gaiter. Its essentially the turtleneck minus the sweater. Or a Thneed, if you're into Dr. Seuss. My local fitness store sold me one and I can't remember the brand name, but you can use it as a hat, or a turtle neck, or a face protection thing or some combo of all of them. When I ran in sub-freezing earlier this week, I was glad for it and my hat.

And gloves.
  • Cara2Me
    Cara2Me Posts: 60
    Options
    I love winter running. I layer up, wear trail shoes and stay in thecity road. It's the best... ENJOY!
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I started running last winter and made do with sweats and a knit cap. This year I traded up for base layer tights and undershirt, an Under Armour beanie and windproof running jacket. I went out the other night in some fierce wind and in the 40's and was nice and toasty. The rule of thumb is to dress for temps 20 degrees warmer since you'll heat up quick. Have fun!
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eC5toC0vms

If you live someplace it gets cold that video is great for how to dress in the cold. I'm in Wisconsin and we are cold! Yak Trax are a must I hear as well. This will be my first winter doing some outdoor running (I also have a treadmill though).
  • polarcubby
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eC5toC0vms

If you live someplace it gets cold that video is great for how to dress in the cold. I'm in Wisconsin and we are cold! Yak Trax are a must I hear as well. This will be my first winter doing some outdoor running (I also have a treadmill though).

Thank you, thank you for the video!
  • runnerjenn0708
    runnerjenn0708 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    live in texas and doesnt get too cold, but great posts guys!!! thanks
  • kendib
    kendib Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread.
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread....still need help. I live in Indiana and it does get a bit cold here below zero. I am trying to walk/jog this winter. I did some last year but froze once it reached the 20 to zero mark. This is what I have and I really don't have any money to buy anything else so if you could tell me in what order to wear my stuff that would help me the most that would be great.
    1. top thermal long johns
    2 long sleeve & short sleeve shirt that wicks, light weight
    3. sweat shirts
    4 wind breaker jacket
    5 socks that wick
    6 hat that is a face shield for sking
    7. gloves
    Will this do or do I really need to buy something else?
    Thank you for your help
    Mary
  • jessbennett1986
    Options
    Great info!!!

I myself ran a little last winter and need to prepare for this winter. I live in MN so it's already getting down to the 40's.
  • beccalucy
    beccalucy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Great thread!

This shall be my first winter running and I'm already feeling the need for gloves!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread....still need help. I live in Indiana and it does get a bit cold here below zero. I am trying to walk/jog this winter. I did some last year but froze once it reached the 20 to zero mark. This is what I have and I really don't have any money to buy anything else so if you could tell me in what order to wear my stuff that would help me the most that would be great.
    3. sweat shirts
    4 wind breaker jacket
    5 socks that wick
    7. gloves
    Thank you for your help
    Mary

I never really worried about having a bunch of stuff. I gradually have built up a running wardrobe over time. Its pretty easy to layer with clothes you probably already have. A wicking layer is great to have, but I have survived without one. I only bought a pair of tights last year, although I do think they are one of the best things I bought, but you can definitely get away without them. I would say out of everything, having a windbreaker/rain jacket is probably the most important, and it seems you have one. I think you can definitely get by just fine with what you have.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    3. sweat shirts
    4 wind breaker jacket
    5 socks that wick
    7. gloves
    Thank you for your help
    Mary

I never really worried about having a bunch of stuff. I gradually have built up a running wardrobe over time. Its pretty easy to layer with clothes you probably already have. A wicking layer is great to have, but I have survived without one. I only bought a pair of tights last year, although I do think they are one of the best things I bought, but you can definitely get away without them. I would say out of everything, having a windbreaker/rain jacket is probably the most important, and it seems you have one. I think you can definitely get by just fine with what you have.

I haven't been running lately, but I started running in the fall and winter. When I started I just used stuff I already had until I knew it was something I enjoy. I eventually got the tights, pearl izumi mask, and technical under shirt. I still run with cotton gloves and a regular sweatshirt on top of that. It doesn't snow enough around here to mess with yaktraks. If it snows I take it to the Y, or just don't run that day. However, wind is always a factor around here.

Way I look at it, unless you're going to be out for longer than an hour, the biggest thing is to keep your skin covered. Your core tempurature will take care of everything else. Longer than an hour is when you should worry about actual "runners" stuff.
  • Twoody83
    Twoody83 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advise everyone! I live in BC so it definitely gets cold, but I am ready for it now! I even found a down skirt for running!
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    There's some pretty decent and low-priced base layer stuff as well as outer layer stuff at Target for those of us who can't go spending a bunch of money after buying the shoes. I'm in the Great White North and plan to do one day a week outside even through winter. I also XC ski, so it shouldn't be too hard. I want to do some winter/early spring races, so I gotta do it. ;) Good luck!
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    bump

great comments. Off topic question how do you motivate yourself to get out in the cold to run?
  • lablvr6
    lablvr6 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    What kind of tights is everyone wearing?
  • michelleb148
    michelleb148 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    bump - I need to start preparing!!!
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Some great info here! Thanks all!
  • fithealthygirl
    fithealthygirl Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Bump...great info!