whey and soy protein

Options
What is the difference between whey and soy protein? Which is better for weight loss?

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    What is the difference between whey and soy protein? Which is better for weight loss?

Soy protein is derived from soy beans. Whey protein is derived from milk. Neither is better for weight loss. They are not weight loss products. They are protein supplements. Their purpose is provide an easy and convenient way to get more protein, if you need it to supplement your diet. They can be used when gaining, losing, or maintaining weight.
  • jsoaper01
    jsoaper01 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    thanks, i know i lack protein in my diet because i have the lap band
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options

Soy protein is derived from soy beans. Whey protein is derived from milk. Neither is better for weight loss. They are not weight loss products. They are protein supplements. Their purpose is provide an easy and convenient way to get more protein, if you need it to supplement your diet. They can be used when gaining, losing, or maintaining weight.

Perfect.
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Protein is also important for muscle recovery. If you are doing weight training or any sort of exercise that is breaking down muscle, it is important to get plenty of protein. I have to have lots of protein to recover from long distance running.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Trial and error. Some people prefer one over the other, my doctor want's me to stay away from soy products. I tried the whey protein, but that causes me some bad digestive discomfort. There is another source, egg white powder protein. When I know I will be low on protein for the day I add some of that to a smoothie and have no digestive issues with it.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Trial and error. Some people prefer one over the other, my doctor want's me to stay away from soy products. I tried the whey protein, but that causes me some bad digestive discomfort. There is another source, egg white powder protein. When I know I will be low on protein for the day I add some of that to a smoothie and have no digestive issues with it.

You can also try Spiru-tein (derived from Spirulina). Tastes very good and they have many flavors. I can't take any dairy derivatives either.

Trader Joe's has Hemp protein (although I tried vanilla and didn't like it).
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options

Just to add to that..Soy typically has roughly 85-90% the concentration of bcaa as whey and roughly 80% the concentration of leucine..So whey may provide a better anabolic response. Also, there are many soy proteins I have not had.. But I have had 3 or 4 soy proteins and the few I had did not mix as well as whey nor did they taste very good.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Just to add to that..Soy typically has roughly 85-90% the concentration of bcaa as whey and roughly 80% the concentration of leucine..So whey may provide a better anabolic response. Also, there are many soy proteins I have not had.. But I have had 3 or 4 soy proteins and the few I had did not mix as well as whey nor did they taste very good.

^ This assumes that the aminos that are lacking in the soy are not currently present or being delivered to the body from other means, correct? Not trying to nitpick here, making sure I understand this.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    One made me fart all day and the other didn't.
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options

^ This assumes that the aminos that are lacking in the soy are not currently present or being delivered to the body from other means, correct? Not trying to nitpick here, making sure I understand this.

Well sure, if you are providing additional AA then it can change things..But if all things are relatively equal and say you WO and in the hour or several hours after you WO you have a soy or whey shake..Or at rest it is time to eat and that meal you have a shake of whey or soy. Supplementing with whey protein may result in greater muscle hypertrophy than soy protein because of the greater anabolic reponse. Soy may have a more profound effect on splanchnic protein synthesis and to cause a reduction in peripheral dietary nitrogen uptake compared to whole milk/whey..