Fasting from a Biblical standpoint

Options
Okay, so I know that not everyone on this site will understand this, but I am considering doing a fast for spiritual purposes, but obviously it's going to affect me physically. The last time I did one, I went 6 days, allowed myself plenty of water and herbal, non-caffeinated tea, and ended up losing like 8-10lbs. I have just started to lose weight naturally, eating right, working-out and switching them up, etc., so obviously I am a little concerned of how this fast is going to affect me physically. But I feel called to this, so I am just looking for some support from those of you who have done a fast for spiritual reasons. If I do this, it's going to be 8 days... Jesus fasted 40 days... knowing that, as hard as it gets at moments (even almost entire days), I think I can do 8 days. Fasting is not a way to make God do what we want. "It’s not supposed to be used as a marker of super-spirituality, something to impress others and prove that we are somebody."
"Like many things in life, fasting has been unused, misused, and abused. But fasting is also a practice that Jesus and millions of faithful, spiritual people have used to focus our dependency and our attention on God."
"Fasting–the act of intentionally going without something for spiritual purposes–fasting is a tool, an experience, to remind us that out of all the things we pursue in life, God really is the ultimate pursuit and goal."
"two important goals of a fast:
One goal is to intentionally go without something, to break the habit and the hold that something has on us. The second goal is that as we say “no” to one thing for a time, we also say “yes” to seeking God instead.
Fasting is intentionally breaking one hold, and intentionally strengthening our connection with God."

Hearing from God- that is what I need right now. I know there are other things one can fast besides food, but I have found that fasting food is the most beneficial fast for me. You have no idea how much free time you have when you don't have to eat- it's kinda weird.

I guess I am just looking for support and perhaps success stories from others of how a fast helped you spiritually, and perhaps mentally, emotionally, and physically.

Thanks all.

Replies

• KKluvUSC
    KKluvUSC Posts: 37
    Options
    Okay, so I know that not everyone on this site will understand this, but I am considering doing a fast for spiritual purposes, but obviously it's going to affect me physically. The last time I did one, I went 6 days, allowed myself plenty of water and herbal, non-caffeinated tea, and ended up losing like 8-10lbs. I have just started to lose weight naturally, eating right, working-out and switching them up, etc., so obviously I am a little concerned of how this fast is going to affect me physically. But I feel called to this, so I am just looking for some support from those of you who have done a fast for spiritual reasons. If I do this, it's going to be 8 days... Jesus fasted 40 days... knowing that, as hard as it gets at moments (even almost entire days), I think I can do 8 days. Fasting is not a way to make God do what we want. "It’s not supposed to be used as a marker of super-spirituality, something to impress others and prove that we are somebody."
    "Like many things in life, fasting has been unused, misused, and abused. But fasting is also a practice that Jesus and millions of faithful, spiritual people have used to focus our dependency and our attention on God."
    "Fasting–the act of intentionally going without something for spiritual purposes–fasting is a tool, an experience, to remind us that out of all the things we pursue in life, God really is the ultimate pursuit and goal."
    "two important goals of a fast:
    One goal is to intentionally go without something, to break the habit and the hold that something has on us. The second goal is that as we say “no” to one thing for a time, we also say “yes” to seeking God instead.
    Fasting is intentionally breaking one hold, and intentionally strengthening our connection with God."

Hearing from God- that is what I need right now. I know there are other things one can fast besides food, but I have found that fasting food is the most beneficial fast for me. You have no idea how much free time you have when you don't have to eat- it's kinda weird.

I guess I am just looking for support and perhaps success stories from others of how a fast helped you spiritually, and perhaps mentally, emotionally, and physically.

Thanks all.
  • angelinaz
    angelinaz Posts: 262
    Options
    I used to fast. I don't anymore. I had been told it's not healthy for the body yet recently I read some new studies that say it can be good as long as it doesn't go on to long. You may want to google new articles to see what's up. Whatever you choose, I am sure it will be right for you. :smile:
  • July
    July Posts: 239
    Options
    I've heard it's good for one day, but I don't know anything about 8 days.
    You've got my support, though. Fasting is about separating yourself from the normal life, and I wish you the best of luck!
  • cloverluv
    cloverluv Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I completely understand what you are going through. I wish you all the luck through this journey. I am also getting ready to start a fast and think of it in a very positive way. I wouldn't let yourself get caught up in what people think. Just put your trust in God and you will be fine. :smile:

Again...Good luck.

Crys
  • stillkristi
    stillkristi Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Part of my religious practice (the practice of my church) is to fast monthly. We obstain from two to three meals and then donate at minimum, the value of those meals to provide relief to those in need. I have found great value in this kind of fast. At times, we hold special fasts when someone is sick or there is a problem in the congregation. Families also sometimes hold special fasts, as do individuals. At times, it is even nice to hold a gratitude fast -- it kind of helps ground a person regarding their personal blessings and gifts. Six days seems like a long while to fast - I am not advising for or against, just observing.

As a part of your fast, I hope you will also be working on prayerful meditation and introspection. That is probably a silly thing to say - but it seems like the spiritual aspect of the fast is enhanced by prayer and study. It seems wrong to say "good luck" but I hope you accomplish your goals with your fast!
  • Frost
    Frost Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Please consult your doctor first. I understand the feeling and knowledge of being called to do something. Make sure the "fast" you are called to so is all solids as compared to it could be a meat fast or a dairy fast or a sugar fast. 8 days is a long time. I would pray for clarity before begininning. Just a thought.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Send me a PM or say on here when you are starting and I will pray for you.
    Growing your relationship with God is the only reason I would suggest fasting.
    I have been reading/studing "The Celebration of Discipline." Fasting is one of the chapters. I have not put it into practice yet.
    My husband has done fasts. He has done 6 days. He did drink both water and juice.
    I hope that through this time you will grow in your walk and find closeness with God.:flowerforyou:
  • marisa0918
    marisa0918 Posts: 178
    Options
    I just had a funny story about this....my close friend went on a "biblical" fast to support her friend that was fasting. My friend is spritual, but not very religious, so she did not fully understand the concept of fasting, so she was stopping by McDonald's 3 times and day and getting large milkshakes :laugh:

I wish you well with your fasting and hope that you come out with an even stronger relationship with God :flowerforyou:
  • writer4him
    writer4him Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have not fasted in a long time, and have never gone for more than two days...but if you believe that God wants you to do this, then He will bless you for your obedience to Him!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    an 8 day fast with only water and decaf tea is an extreme hardship on your body. extreme.

please be careful.
  • ttoombs
    ttoombs Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    My Sunday school class has been discussing fasts and what they mean. When you fast you need to substitute that meal with prayer. I believe that if you fast for the reason's that God has you to fast then He will sustain you through this. I have thought a lot about doing it but haven't yet. God bless you on this. :flowerforyou:
  • KKluvUSC
    KKluvUSC Posts: 37
    Options
    Thank you so much all of you for your support. The last time I did my fast of 6 days... it was amazing. I did come out of it spiritually stronger. I totally substituted my meals for prayer and a whole lot of prayer in between as well. :) I worked out like 5 of the 6 days and my work-outs were great and I slept amazing.

Just a side thought- to anyone reading this, if you have never fasted before I wouldn't recommend starting out with anything but like 24-48hrs. UNLESS of course He instructs you to such. If so, fear not, He will give you the strength.

Thanks again to everyone! :)
  • shayp98
    shayp98 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hey, my name is Shay . My church family and I just got off a 40day fast, and I came to the conclusion that my body is His temple and how I really depended on food , and other things that shouldnt be my source , when God should be my source and comfort. I encourage any fast that will bring you closer to God and we as people really need to analyze why we eat the way we eat and mistreat our bodies which was a gift. It gets deeper because if you think about it ,its mental too and how the devil can take over your mind and body because the lack of discipline. Fasting will help you to gain the strength with God being your source, you will realize that you have put other things before Him to comfort you. Thats what I learned and I hope this make some sense . Its late but if you like to talk, want support , just email me back

Have a bless day!
    Shay