Just starting out and so irritable

Options
Hi there, I have just started using myfitnesspal (and loving it BTW). I really want to stick with it, but I am finding that for the last couple of days I am feeling very irritable. I am assuming it is the changes that I have made to my diet. Has anyone had the same thing happen and does it go away? Thanks!

Replies

• Cathleenr
    Options
    Hi there, I have just started using myfitnesspal (and loving it BTW). I really want to stick with it, but I am finding that for the last couple of days I am feeling very irritable. I am assuming it is the changes that I have made to my diet. Has anyone had the same thing happen and does it go away? Thanks!

yeah, especially on the days when my trainer wants me to do more than i reasonably can. or so i think, lol. she has been through the same thing...you get to a point very quickly where you just want to cry cause its HARD.
    however.
    when i bought my size 29 waist jeans and they got too big after 2 weeks, after having lived in size 18's for years, well...i don't cry so much anymore :)
    and it's ALL worth it. and it passes. :)
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I've become a little bit of a zealot... Sorry in advance for all the long-windedness

I'm all about doing this for the long-term. Doesn't matter how long it takes as long as I can maintain.

Rather than being uberstrict with the target MFP set for me I did the math to find out the calories needed to maintain my goal weight and my current weight and I gave myself a range with 1200 as my rock bottom, lose 1 lb/wk as my target*** and maintain my goal weight as the top of my range. As long as I keep within in this range I'll lose. I tend to naturally zig zag my calories 3-4 at very close to my target and then a higher calorie day closer to the top of my range.

As long as I stayed under maintain my current weight calories I won't gain. So no need to throw in the towel, just pick-up where I left off.

Once I found ways to lessen the stress, I found it way easier to focus on the process and let the results follow. (It's what worked for me some people need the stress to get them motivated. Me I get scared and overwhelmed and don't see the big goal as acheivable. I only worry about it 1 lb at a time.)

I did have to take a break for a month due to a health scare, but otherwise I kept with the slow and steady approach. Took me 9 months (including the month off) At first I lost at the rate of about 3 lbs per month, but the closer you get to the goal the slower it goes. So be patient and hang in there.

***also once my lose 1 lb/week target was down to 1200 calories I switch to lose 1/2 lb/ week (1200 cal rock bottom, 1/2 lb/week as my target, maintain goal weight as the high end of my range.)

Food is not the enemy.
    Oddly enough on my journey here I've reduced guilt over food.
    I have the occassional treat and I fully enjoy it with no guilt involved.
    The thing is since I'm not eating crap all the time the occassional treat is just that a TREAT it's special and I enjoy it so much more than when I was unconsciously shovel junk food into my face.

I figure if I've got a good plan that I can actually maintain I can keep this off for a long time to come, without feeling deprived.

I'd like to suggest that you track your SUGAR... While you are avoiding obvious junk.
    I was amazed at how many food that are sold as *healthy* or *real food*s are loaded with hidden sugar.

both sugar and artificial sweeteners increase your appetite.

While it's a rare day that I'm under on sugar. I'm not perfect I'm doing better.
    I find that sugar increases my appetite by a lot.! If I have too much I can't stay in my calorie range for the day. I've been meaning to look into the Glycemic Index. to learn more about how the body processes sugar. I come from generations of diabetics I always thought that "sugar was sugar." But I've recently heard about somethings about how your body processes sugar that I want to look into.

Food manufacturers add a lot of sugar under a lot of different unrecognizable names into products, because it's cheap and it increases your appetite, so you eat more.
    (I picked up a lean cuisine one evening forgot to check the sugar went to enter it to find out it had 30g of sugar, now

A) I only get 25g a day,
    B) my favorite cookies are 9g for 15 cookies. If I'm going to eat sugar I want to enjoy a treat!!!

Also watch out for yogurts there usually very high in sugar, buy plain and add a little hershey syrup or jam or cukes & dill at least YOU will be controlling your intake.)

BOTH sugar AND artificial sweeteners increase your appetite, so cutting back on them makes weight loss easier, because you are not hungry all the time.

If I have a DIET COKE, no way I can keep at 1200 cal.

Nutrient Dense foods keep you full longer, while proteins and fats (happy fats... plant based) appear to pack a lot of calories for the quantity you get to eat. A small amount will keep you satisfied longer. So it may be a better balance for you .

Good Luck
  • kagenw
    kagenw Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, heck yes. I wasn't irritable, but I went slouching around all day thinking "this diet sucks, look at all the things I can't eat. Look at that delicious food I won't be eating, I can say goodbye to that forever!" Well, guess what, some things are OK to say goodbye to forever and other things you don't need to say goodbye to at all (just limit what you eat).
    Trust me, it gets better. Actually, after a little while, you start to enjoy that you eat way more. I never thought a 90 kcal protein bar could make me satisfied :) Keep at it!
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I've been experiencing this situation as well...it comes and goes but eventually you'll adapt.

8488541.png
  • kagenw
    kagenw Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Lol, upon afterthought, it really does seem like I was irritable :)
  • Jessica2Skinny
    Jessica2Skinny Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I def. went through withdrawls .... after the 3rd day it went away.
  • annabellik
    annabellik Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Wow, it is so great to get all your responses. I am definitely going to stick to it. auntiebabs I will take your suggestion and watch my sugar intake and avoid the artificial sweeteners. I did have some of my kids Halloween treats last night :smile:
  • Jambe
    Jambe Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I wasn't irritable but I was pretty tired/drained from going from massive carbs to like none... so I took an energy supplement. Maybe 2-3 Weeks.

Then one day It just hit me and I had a burst of energy. Like I was bouncing off the walls :) And it's been so since.

Tough it out! :)
  • BamaGurl47
    Options
    i felt irritable because i was always hungry and felt like i was cheating because i was going over my 1200 calorie limit.. . i was unrealistic in shooting for 1200 calories and someone mentioned i should be more realistic with my goals instead of trying to loose 2 bs a week.. So i thought about it and decided that was right .. so i recalculated my goal to 1 lb a week and my calories went up 260 more ..( a total of 1460) now i have more room in my diet and i dont go around feeling hungry and grumpy anymore . :)
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Wow, it is so great to get all your responses. I am definitely going to stick to it. auntiebabs I will take your suggestion and watch my sugar intake and avoid the artificial sweeteners. I did have some of my kids Halloween treats last night :smile:

Well,of course it's important to teach the kids to share!!! All in the name of good parenting.
  • Johnny_Castle
    Options
    ya that is totally normal and if you're not at an unhealthily low caloric level u will get used to it
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Buy a book called "The Flat Belly Diet" and cook from that.
    Who says dieting needs to be boring?

Just tonight I made BBQ Turkey Burgers 94% fat
    1/4 avocado on top with havarti cheese
    on an Arnold Flax fiber roll.

Sweet potato Fries!!!
    YUMMMM!!!!!

As for sugar you can try Agave nectar.
    It has an amazing GI and wont spike blood sugar and insulin.
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    The times when I get irritable are when I've had too many calorie-dense foods during the day, so my stomach feels empty, even though I'm near my calorie target for the day.

Try eating foods that are less calorie-dense, but still fill you up. I like salads, because if you choose the dressing wisely and stay away from high-calorie additives (like dried fruit and cheese), you can have a very satisfying meal with enough bulk to keep you full for a while, without blowing your calorie budget.

Also, I like a good cardio workout (biking or running for me) because it has a double-whammy effect: appetite control PLUS more calories in your budget,l not to mention the cardiovascular benefit AND endorphins. Yay, endorphins!

OP, although it may seem a little weird to you, you'll find that if you make your diary public, you'll get plenty of good feedback from the forums.