Other Than Eggs For Protein

Options
Dexy_
Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
Other than eggs, what other foods can be prepared relatively easily for protein and eaten by themselves as a snack ect?

Replies

• cajunlady56
    cajunlady56 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    lean meat
    protein shake/bar
    peanut butter
  • hanna1210
    hanna1210 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Nothing really has to be prepared, but have you tried soy milk, milk, cheese or Greek yogurt? Those are a few that I aim for.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Nuts, tuna, canned salmon, protein bars/shakes- all very easy options :D
  • keddabee
    Options
    I'm interested in this as well since I've been trying to do high protein but its so hard when you get bored of the same old things :(
  • Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Are UNSALTED (just to be clear) peanuts good for protein?
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    greek yogurt is packed with protein!
  • cajunlady56
    cajunlady56 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    yes
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    add cottage cheese to the list
  • Keran24
    Keran24 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, beans, nuts, protein bars (my kids and I like the Zone bars).
  • Keran24
    Keran24 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Salmon, chicken and venison are also high in protein and can be cooked quickly.
  • whisperingdragon
    Options
    shrimp
  • MelanieLeanne
    Options
    Here's a great protein recipe. It includes both Parmesan cheese, salmon & a dip that includes yogurt which are all packed with protein!! & only takes about 20 minutes to make!

Parmesan fish sticks

Ingredients
    1 (18-ounce) center-cut salmon fillet, about 9 by 4 inches, skinned
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    3 egg whites
    1 cup grated Parmesan
    1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
    Olive oil, for drizzling

Dipping Sauce
    1/3 cup reduced fat mayonnaise
    1/3 cup lowfat plain yogurt
    1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley or chives

For the Fish Sticks:
    Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
    Rinse the salmon fillet and pat dry with paper towels. Cut the fish in half to make 2 fillets each about 4 by 4 1/2-inches in size. Starting on the longest edge, slice the fillets into 1/2-inch pieces. Lay the widest pieces, from the center, cut side down, and slice in half lengthways so all the pieces are equally about 1/2 by 1/2 by 4 1/2-inches in size.

Place the flour in a medium bowl and season with the salt and pepper. Place the egg whites in another bowl and beat until frothy, about 30 seconds. Combine the Parmesan and bread crumbs in a third bowl.
    Coat the salmon pieces in the seasoned flour and pat to remove any excess flour. Dip the floured salmon in the egg whites and then into the Parmesan mixture, gently pressing the mixture into the fish. Place the breaded salmon pieces on a liberally oiled baking sheet. Drizzle lightly with the olive oil. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown.

For the Dipping Sauce:
    Mix the mayonnaise, yogurt, Dijon mustard, and parsley (or chives, if using) in a small dipping bowl.
    Arrange the fish sticks on a serving platter and serve with the dipping sauce.

Cook's Note: The fish sticks can also be dipped in ketchup, marinara sauce, pesto, ranch dressing or vinaigrette
  • jem728
    jem728 Posts: 88
    Options
    bump
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    nuts, nut butters, edamame, tofu, yogurt, cheese, milk, soy milk, almond milk, hummus or other bean dips, fish/seafood.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    frozen, peeled, pre-cooked shrimp is great. Just thaw and eat on a salad, throw into a stir fry or eat with cocktail sauce (my lunch today, actually!)
    Greek yogurt (today's breakfast with some fresh raspberries and a packet of sweetener)
    canned tuna
    chicken (I'll cook a breast in the microwave after sprinkling on a little garlic and onion powder. 4 minutes from frozen to cooked)
    fresh or frozen fish can be cooked quickly and easily in a foil pouch
  • Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    CHOBANI!
  • anastasiawildflower
    Options
    peanut butter on bread/toast creates a complete protein.