Abs nutrition question!

Options
killagb
killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
I'm pretty sure I already know what the answer "should" be to this question, but I want to see what possible information anyone has.

How important is it to pay attention to refined carbs(or any other nutrient for that matter) in order to trim back your belly fat?

My thoughts are that it probably doesn't matter and that it's the calorie deficit that is what truly matters. But as I said, I'd like to see some opinions on the subject, with supporting information if you can. Thanks! :drinker:

Replies

• Keran24
    Keran24 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Check out flat belly diet. Lots of sources say protein and monounsaturated fats are good for fighting belly fat. If you don't eat enough protein you lose muscle mass and your metabolism will slow.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Check out flat belly diet. Lots of sources say protein and monounsaturated fats are good for fighting belly fat. If you don't eat enough protein you lose muscle mass and your metabolism will slow.
    I don't know...I have to question a site that makes claims such as this:
    fbscience_mufas.gif

Doesn't seem too legit.
  • MelanieLeanne
    Options
    For abs, try eating more complex carbs that take longer to digest. Bad carbs- plain white rice, white bread, margarine, ice cream, bacon, cookies, whole milk, processed cheese & cookies. Good food for abs- Almonds, beans, spinach, instant oatmeal, egg whites, turkey, peanut butter, olive oil, whole grain breads, extra whey protein powder & raspberries.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I've always heard that nutrition is extremely important to cutting out belly fat but I don't know much about it otherwise. I should look into it. I have like awesomely hard abs under all this fat and would love to trim off a little bit of fat...not too much because I still want to be a bit soft and womanly.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I think you're probably right. I would just take note of any foods that may cause bloating and limit or avoid those.
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I already know what the answer "should" be to this question, but I want to see what possible information anyone has.

How important is it to pay attention to refined carbs(or any other nutrient for that matter) in order to trim back your belly fat?

My thoughts are that it probably doesn't matter and that it's the calorie deficit that is what truly matters. But as I said, I'd like to see some opinions on the subject, with supporting information if you can. Thanks! :drinker:

Doesn't matter as long as you meet your macro and calorie goals each day, being consistent and patient is key...

Also there is no such thing as bad or good carbs, each has it's place in our diets...some for sustained energy and others for spiking insulin and restoring glycogen stores.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    OP-

I've seen you around the boards quite a bit, and you always make good posts. Remember don't ever second guess what works and what is a myth. There are no good or bad carbs. You can eat all the refined carbs you want as long as it fits your macros and calorie intake pertaining to your goals. The worst thing that can happen is you gain some water weight, but even that passes. Abs take time because of the stubborn fat (as Lyle Mcdonald calls it). Your body loves fat alot more than muscle so it holds onto it as long as possible. Also remember that the leaner you get, the harder it is to get even leaner which is why alot of pro bodybuilders cycle carbs to prep for contests, etc.

You'll get the abs if you stick to your goals and are patient.