Question for people who eat back workouts.

Options
I have been on MFP for over 40 days now and lost heaps by not eating back my workouts.
I'm loosing between 1kg (2.2lb) and 1.5kg (3.3lb) which is working great for me.
I am wanting to know how much weight you are loosing each week by eating back your workouts?

My weight loss only slowed once I started eating only 800 to 900 calories a day but now I'm back up to my 1200cal a day my weight is coming off again so I agree that eating no less then 1200 really works but just wondering if it works as good as if I were to eat back part or all of my workouts.

So my question is how many of your workout calories do you eat back and how much weight on average are you loosing per week?
Thank you all.

Replies

• PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Any particular reason why you ignore the 1lb/2lb a week rule? You know the drawback of losing weight too fast?
  • beeny83
    Options
    Any particular reason why you ignore the 1lb/2lb a week rule? You know the drawback of losing weight too fast?

Yes I do. :)
  • NB_Eric
    Options
    Loosing 2.2 to 3 lbs a week is much too fast. I loose between 1 and 2 lbs a week and I may sure I eat at a minimum 1200 calories a day net after working out.
  • cemummy
    cemummy Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    hey, i had 8 kg to lose and had my cals set to 1300 per week and was burning between 200-350 cals a day and eating back roughly 1/2 my exercise calories, more or less depending if i was hungry or not. and have been loosing a steady 1kg per week this week i upped my cals to 1500 as 1kg from my goal weigh and now want to focus on toning, i have been struggling to eat back my exercise cals just not hungry so will be interesting to see what my weight is when i weigh in on sunday!
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Your strategy seems to work for you, and seems to match your goals really.
    I don't think you'll be able to lose more than what you are currently losing anyway...

Why are you asking?

I believe that on average people would be losing less by eating back calories exercise (I am losing less than you clearly 0.5-1.0 lbs or so), but then again there are other benefits to eating more.
  • cheekyleonie
    cheekyleonie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    If I exercise I eat more. I'm on 1200 a day, but when I exercise I increase that amount.
    Myself and a few other mates are doing MFP together, but most days I eat slightly over my allowance, yes still losing 0.5kg - 1kg a week! Whereas they are always under but not always losing weight within the same range as me.
  • beeny83
    Options
    hey, i had 8 kg to lose and had my cals set to 1300 per week and was burning between 200-350 cals a day and eating back roughly 1/2 my exercise calories, more or less depending if i was hungry or not. and have been loosing a steady 1kg per week this week i upped my cals to 1500 as 1kg from my goal weigh and now want to focus on toning, i have been struggling to eat back my exercise cals just not hungry so will be interesting to see what my weight is when i weigh in on sunday!

Me too I just cant seem to eat that much.
  • Baldylocks30
    Baldylocks30 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    i find i naturally eat more after exercising but have seen no results from anything i have done so far as i eat too little so i would be interested in hearing other people's results on this too
  • beeny83
    Options
    I don't think you'll be able to lose more than what you are currently losing anyway...

Why are you asking?

I believe that on average people would be losing less by eating back calories exercise (I am losing less than you clearly 0.5-1.0 lbs or so), but then again there are other benefits to eating more.

I don't want to lose any faster, I'm happy with the way things are going for me. I'm asking simply because I'm curious as to how much people are loosing when eating back workouts. Clearly I will lose more by not eating them but was wondering if there was a big difference for in case i go out for lunch or something and eat a little more then normal.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options

Why are you asking?

I don't want to lose any faster, I'm happy with the way things are going for me. I'm asking simply because I'm curious as to how much people are loosing when eating back workouts. Clearly I will lose more by not eating them but was wondering if there was a big difference for in case i go out for lunch or something and eat a little more then normal.

Not necessarily true, eating back workouts revs up your metabolism causing you to burn more when resting.
    I started only losing 0.2kg/0.4lb per week but now I eat more I LOSE more!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

some people like the skinny fat look!
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options

some people like the skinny fat look!

Yes they do =)
  • AngelTwin27
    AngelTwin27 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've only been doing MFP for just over two weeks, only because I wanted to learn more about keeping track of calories and wasn't really too worried about weight loss, but I've managed to lose 1.5kg already and I'm amazed and hooked! LOL

I'm consistently under my daily calorie goal of 1590 and sometimes by lots if I've done a workout that day - more often than not though, I'm using the exercise to balance out what I've eaten, so I can keep under my daily goal. (This is also why I have a higher daily goal, because I know that I wouldn't stick to it if I had it set lower and kept going over)

The two weeks I've completed so far, I've had a weekly credit of 900 and 700 calories, so I'm not always eating back the workouts and I feel really good for it. Like others, I have hungry days and do get very close to my daily total with exercise added in, but it all seems to balance out and it's working!

I'm happy with the .5kg - 1kg loss per week, especially when my goal wasn't really to lose weight anyway! :-)
  • AmyLeighWarren
    Options
    I exercise to be allowed to eat more, I have a calorie goal of 1200 and i can hit that pretty easily, tho i try to stay just under or right on . if i have done exercise i eat those calories but not usually all of them as i still want to maintain a good weight loss each week, so far has varied between .5 and 1.5kg loss a week depending on how much exercise i do.