Heart rate monitor problems

Options
So, my brother bought me a heart rate monitor, and overall i'd say its great, but sometimes extremely frustrating. Every now and then, and almost always when im really pushing myself, i flat line. Im pretty sure i havent died, and its mostly when im doing hill work and really pushing myself but sometimes its just on my easy runs. Its really frustrating, whats the point in having a heart rate monitor if its inaccurate? I generally place the monitor right on my breast plate above my pecs, but it always slips off them and ends up just wedged at the bottom of my pecs - Will this make a difference? Also, i already try and either splash some water on my chest or apply some cocoa butter or other sort of lotion before i run. I think the lotion doesnt help with the slipping, but not using it makes picking up my heart rate worse. Help! Is my only option tape?

Replies

• nicoleh82
    Options
    What brand have you got? My Polar has a band that goes under my bra line/mid way down the chest and the fabric patches sitting on your chest on it should be dabbed with water prior to putting it on. This helps with reading your heart rate.
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    mine says wet the electrodes with saliva or sweat. I would refrain from using lotion... I cant even see how that would be good for it. Try using your saliva. I just lick my finger and run it over the electrodes on both sides. Now I am not saying mines wonderful I often am moving it to pick up my heart beat. I think its because it is cheap though.
  • top20
    top20 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hey! I do not know much about them but have you checked in your age, height, gender and BPM into the heart rate monitor? Do you know your target heart rate? Maybe yor heart rate monitor could be faulty..?!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    It's not supposed to go over your pecs anyway.. It's supposed to go under. If you have a manual.. look at the picture and it will show you clearly where it goes.

Also, wash the strap if you have been using lotion.. all your doing is clogging up the electrodes, which again, is going to make it not work.

My suggestions:
    Wash the strap with soap and water.
    Wet the electrodes before use with water.
    Make sure the strap is tight enough.
    Don't put anymore lotion on and position it under your pecs.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Cheers guys will give this a go! Its a Sigma PC 15