Pains in shins

Options
I have just started exercising an extra 30 mins a day, wen before i was walking for about 20 mins a day.

I've got pains in my shins, not my calves my shins, and when i crouch it hurts and today when i was exercising it was hurting?

has anyone else experienced this? Or know anything about it? is it mostly likely muscles adjusting to the new exercise level?

I have been rollerblading, walking, doing steps, skipping and doing zumba - not sure if the types of exercise will help with an answer but i just thought someone here might know something about it

Replies

• cheddle
    cheddle Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    sounds like the good ol shin splints...

do some readin on it, its a general imbalance in the strength of your lower leg muscles thats causing stress on the shin bone... i experienced this quite severely when I started running/walking to work and back.

Try to avoid high intensity or high duration exercise for a week or three but the only real cure is to allow your lower leg umscles to "balance" thru strength building and contuine to exercise them.

I used to get bad shin splints from 2 km of walking, now i can run 5k and dont feel any discomfort in my shins (the rest of my body tho... is a different story haha)
  • chef970
    chef970 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    It called shin splints, where your shin muscles are very tight and small tears in them...the remedy is simple...from a standing position, extend one leg out at a 30° angle and rotate your foot for 15 seconds one way then switch the rotation,then do the same for the other leg. Do this in part of your warm up and cool down exercises...it will get better and youll have less pain.
  • jacobhayes1
    Options
    They are called shins splints. I use to get them from running on my toes. I have heard of different reasons people get them. Make sure you are running properly (heel to toe) and have good shoes. Thats what worked for me.

Jake
  • cofakid
    cofakid Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone! will take it all in :)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    A great stretch is to kneel with your legs under you, top of you feet flat on the floor, and lean backwards. Also ice your shin muscles for 15 minutes. I use a pack of frozen peas wrapped in a tea towel!

Sometimes shin splints are caused by using the wrong form. Check if you use and oevr-exaggerated heel-toe motion when walking and try not to lift your toes too much. Certainly high-impact stuff like Zumba and skipping can stress your shins. Make sure you've got the right shoes and try to land with soft knees.

Good luck!