Do I need to toughen up?

Options
So yesterday I worked in a shearing shed and I had to pick up the fleeces. Which meant I had to do the equivalent of 700 squats... minimum!
And today my legs and back are in agony, and I'm assuming they will be for a few days to come. Should I continue with my normal exercise? I mainly cycle, but even looking at my bike today made me want to cry. Heck, even getting up and walking was painful. Do I just need to toughen up or let my body recuperate?

What's everyone's opinions and advice?

Replies

• HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I would rest your body. That sounds like ALOT of work you did yesterday.
    Hopefully you'll feel a little less sore tomorrow and can carry on with your normal routine then :)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Rest.. thats for sure!

One day off isn't going to hurt you! Also stretch to help relieve some of the soreness.
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Usually right after a heavy harvest, it is advisable to just do light (Super light) exercise. Like easy walking. Somehow this loosens you back up.

After the last time, i did a harvest - i laid face down on the couch for NINE days. (do not do this)! But please get some rest :)!
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Recuperate
  • fitaliciag
    Options
    rest for a few days.....trust me, you will need a few days. then next time you do it, you wont be as sore (if you do it regularly) :-)
  • FionaHelen
    FionaHelen Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    i would say rest today with some gentle stretches to un knot your muscles, and treat yaself to a nice hot bubble bath too!
  • cherrieruns
    cherrieruns Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    a really easy walk would work - a recovery walk if you will. It will help the blood flow to your legs but not overstrain them with an actual 'workout'. also, water water water to keep the tendons and muscles hydrated while they heal.
  • Monze1
    Monze1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses everyone!
    So everyone is saying rest with stretching and light walking. That I can handle! But I think I'm gonna be sore for a few days and I'm worried that without my usual exercise I'm going to gain. Even missing my workout today I feel gross!
    And in 2 weeks time I'm going to end up in the same state because we're shearing again.
    I never thought I'd get so frustrated by missing my workouts! haha
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Definitely need a rest day....or maybe a little gentle wqalking but don't overdo it & drink plenty of water :flowerforyou:

Sue :smile: x