Running a 10K faster tips please

Weathers58
Weathers58 Posts: 246 Member
edited October 4 in Fitness and Exercise
HI.

I'm running a 10 k (Leeds UK Abbey Dash) on 20th November and I would like to get under 50 minutes.

I did my last 10K in March in 56:03 and have been training since.

I've lost about 20 lbs which will help but I would love some tips to get faster quickly.

I'm currently running around 9 mins a mile so I think ??? I'm doing ok.

Any help or motivation would be grately appreciated

Thanks Tim

Replies

• LoseItJourney
    LoseItJourney Posts: 122 Member
    Pace Yourself!

If you dont youll tire quick and go slower near the end!

a great pace will keep you going.

Just try your best.

Personal I think 56 min is still amazing!

Good Luck!
  • Wisks
    Wisks Posts: 81 Member
    I'd try to drink a cup of coffee or caffiene right before the run. It will give you a quick burst of energy right before the race to start strong.

Try to find someone else who has experience doing a sub-50 10k. Then run along side them the entire time.

If you're using a music player, get a set list together of songs that really inspire you, give you a shot of adreneline for those moments when you may lose motivation or get tired.
  • Wisks
    Wisks Posts: 81 Member
    Also, I never stretch before a race now. I do some very light jogging for 5 to 10 minutes prior to the race to get my legs and body use to that motion but since I've stopped streching before running (I stretch afterwards) I'm a much better, faster and longer runner.
  • naj71
    naj71 Posts: 4
    Build in some tempo runs (starting at a slow medium pace, increase speed -pushing yourself harder thean normal - during the middle, and then slow down again at the end) and interval work (Alternating 400 m sprints and 400 m jogs) into your training. Both awful, but I find it increases your average speed when you come to run an event as your body has learnt it can push itself just that little bit further. Good luck, sound like you are doing really well anyway.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Not a lot of time left to make that much improvement (not that you need that much. Sub-50 is a fantastic goal, but 56 minutes is pretty awesome), but a quick google search: http://www.endurancetraining.com.au/Articles/Training for a 10k Event.pdf

Also if my math is right, a 9 minute mile only paces you for like a 56:06 10k. Have you been doing speed training and such?

Either way, good luck!
  • Try some interval training.. 1/4 mile fast followed by 1/4 mile recovery. Try 6 times first, then increase over the weeks. This is the only way I know to build your speed and it works... It is a tough workout though to hard to motivate yourself to do it!
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    if you are a new runner, speed will come with time.... interval training is great as well.... as are fartleks.... (funny word, but look it up, lol) but seriously, a 9 min mile from where you were is a great step! i do agree about the adrenaline, you will surprise yourself.
  • Weathers58
    Weathers58 Posts: 246 Member
    Hi.

Yeah I know re the 9 min miling which is circa 54 mins but I know I can run faster and am hoping race day will give me the motivation.

I actually ran a hard 10K a few years back in 42 mins so I would just like to get back under 50 even though I'm 45 now and was 37 then but we'll see its not the most important thing.....The fact I can run at all after years of boozing and smoking is something.

Thanks Tim
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Hi.

Yeah I know re the 9 min miling which is circa 54 mins but I know I can run faster and am hoping race day will give me the motivation.

I actually ran a hard 10K a few years back in 42 mins so I would just like to get back under 50 even though I'm 45 now and was 37 then but we'll see its not the most important thing.....The fact I can run at all after years of alcohol addiction and smoking is something.

Thanks Tim

In that case, give em hell!
This discussion has been closed.