MFP is women centric

Options
dckim
dckim Posts: 311 Member
Correct me if I am wrong, but seems like MFP has 80% women members. I gather this from posts and topics. :glasses:

Replies

• jmatthews75
    jmatthews75 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Not 100% accurate, I just think women are more likely to talk on the forums while guys will hide their thoughts because like with directions, we don't like to ask for help. Deep thoughts by Jason at 145AM....
  • glittermouse
    glittermouse Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Not 100% accurate, I just think women are more likely to talk on the forums while guys will hide their thoughts because like with directions, we don't like to ask for help. Deep thoughts by Jason at 145AM....

^^^agree. I think that it's a pretty even split between males and females. Maybe the women just talk more on the boards?
  • Clever_Girl
    Options
    My friends list is 39% dudes who all post on the boards pretty regularly.

....that would make it 61% women. I believe that your analysis is incorrect :flowerforyou:
  • icandothistrish85
    Options

Ha! That ^^^^ LOL
  • dckim
    dckim Posts: 311 Member
    Options
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    Yes it is and thank God for that. :bigsmile:
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    is that a problem :p
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Probably has more to do with the constant barrage of reminders that we must be thin or not overweight than anything else. Most weight-loss advertisement is geared toward women. And many of us will spend a period of our lives being pregnant and then throwing ourselves so far into motherhood that we forget about the importance of maintaining the health of our own bodies.
  • Reaper049
    Options
    I honestly don't think its a problem for there to be more women than men on this site. Personally I'm a guy and I find that the women express themselves way more than men do... *JustSaying* lol
  • skittybang
    skittybang Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Women own the rights to the word "rant" and are obligated to use it frequently in the forums.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I think you see less men because we do not have TOM or feel the need to post 20 threads a day about the poor guy.

Seriously, I think it's probably 55/45 women to men.

You want to see a women centric website go to Spark People, most men would probably die of estrogen poisoning over there.
  • NA_Willie
    NA_Willie Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Walk into a Jenny Craig-esque place and see how many dudes are there. I'm guessing maybe three.

Guys really only care about losing weight when it is serious health related.

Chicks want to lose weight the day they are born.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Walk into a Jenny Craig-esque place and see how many dudes are there. I'm guessing maybe three.

I think it's mostly true though I think more guys probably care about how they look these days than they used to.

For me personally, I want to be more athletic, healthier and hotter for my wife. I think on some level all guys want to look better but it's just not the driving force that it is for women.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Sadly true. Our culture conditions us to believe the most important thing about women is how we look. There is little worse a woman can do than be overweight. You are persona non grata if you're fat. So women concern themselves more with weight loss. Statistically speaking, the vast majority of eating disorders are in girls and women.
  • AtticusFinch
    AtticusFinch Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options

^^^agree. I think that it's a pretty even split between males and females. Maybe the women just talk more on the boards?

Women, talking more? Surely not
  • NA_Willie
    Options
    There is little worse a woman can do than be overweight. You are persona non grata if you're fat. So women concern themselves more with weight loss.
    Which I totally disagree with. They should be concerning themselves with more important things, like makeup and cooking and cleaning and lingerie.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Sadly true. Our culture conditions us to believe the most important thing about women is how we look. There is little worse a woman can do than be overweight. You are persona non grata if you're fat. So women concern themselves more with weight loss. Statistically speaking, the vast majority of eating disorders are in girls and women.

I know it's not what you're saying, but this has always annoyed me. Do women have it harder than men when it comes to expectations of their body? Yes. Does that mean that men have it easy? No.

The fact that there are more women with eating disorders has resulted in many men being going undiagnosed or misdiagnosed. I don't have all the reasearch I've seen on the subject readily accessible from work, but a quick google search yielded: http://www.namedinc.org/statistics.asp.

Again I doubt that's what you were saying, it's just something that gets to me. Competing in sports with weight classes I've known a lot of guys that have done horrible things to their bodies that caused lasting damage.
  • NA_Willie
    Options
    I think it's mostly true though I think more guys probably care about how they look these days than they used to.
    Yeah, the fruity ones
    For me personally, I want to be more athletic, healthier and hotter for my wife.
    Why waste it on being hotter for your wife. Lol.
  • allie864
    allie864 Posts: 298
    Options

Yep. There's the truth in black & white.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

Yep. There's the truth in black & white.

That is definitely NOT true.