IM New and Pregnant - Few questions and Friends needed!

Options
Hi everyone

I am new to this site and would like some friends for encouragement, please request me.

Last week i found out that i am 5 weeks pregnant, so although i do not want to crash diet or anything, i would like to loose some weight if i can by exercising 30 mins 3 times a week. I currently weight 205 lbs! Walking on treadmill would be the safest thing i think?

Any ideas would be warmly appreciated.

Thanks

Cara

Replies

• miskolina
    Options
    Hi :)

Yes, you can exercise during pregnancy but avoid it during first trimester because there is a higher risk of misscarriage and your body needs time to accept all the changes. If you didn't work out before it is better not to push yourself, treadmill is ok but be carefull, there is a risk of injuries if you go to fast, maybe it is better to do power walk outside. It is very important not to warm your body to much becaause baby in stomach doesn't have cooling system so you need to take care of your body temperature. On youtube you have different exercises during pregnancy, for all 3 trimester. Just take care of your diet, you should increase your calories for about 300 kcal more and try not to gain weight on first trimester and most important, control your blood sugar.

I hope I helped :)
  • Dayquasar
    Dayquasar Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I would talk to your doctor, It depends on alot of things really, weight, heart, 1st pregnancy.
  • jilliebean2012
    Options
    Hi Cara,

Congratulations!! You really want to ask your physician his thoughts on the best way or even if you should attempt to lose weight at this time. Your dr. may not want you to start a strenous execise program at this time. Personally, I don't think anything would be wrong with a treadmill as long as you don't overdo. I don't know what your schedule is like, but if you have free time in the early morning, you could go to your local mall and do some brisk walking. Even if your mall isn't open, Im sure you probably have a 24hr walmart in your area. I see a lot of people brisks walking inside at around 5 or 6am. More fun than a treadmill, a lot more to see!!
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't advice dieting to lose weight at this time. More exercise, however, would be good for you and the baby. Staying active during pregnancy will help make your labor easier and will help with losing weight after birth.
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Hi

Congrats on the baby. I dont think you should try to lose any weight now, Maybe set your profile to maintance and see how you do.

If you can keep up the 30 mins exercise (as long as your GP gives you the ok).

Good Luck x
  • tjm615
    tjm615 Posts: 11
    Options
    your doctor will be able to help you out more on what you can and cant do. You dont want to over do it and yet if you can do more than the treadmil that'll be great too
  • fitaliciag
    Options
    usually you will lose weight before gaining during the first few months :-) everyone I know has.
  • Luchesse
    Options
    I had a friend who lost weight while pregnant. She was a crazy eater and ate whatever she wanted whenever. While pregnant she stuck to a healthy diet fruits, veggies, things like that. She also took a walk every evening after work. At the end of her pregnancy she lost like 20 lbs, but that was still with the baby inside so she more than likely lost around 40.

Still though I would ask your doctor about changing things up from your normal....