inabillity to lose weight

Options
any idea on what can cause a complete inabillity to lose weight.

i have been staying around my 1200 for the past week or so, this week i have gained atleast 3 pounds, and about the same the week before. i also shoot for under 25 carbs, dont always make it ,but never over 50grm (still considered low carb)

i had blood work 6 months ago including thyroid, every thing was peachy ( including impovements on sugar and chol.)

i am at whits end, and considering a doc appt.

and am looking at possibility to toss at her if she does not think of them

Replies

• TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Hard to tell without being able to see your diary. The fact that you have 104 lbs to lose tells me it's not starvation mode (as there's plenty to excess to supplement the lower calories). Are you weighing/measuring your food? Are you guessing on portion size? Are you being honest with yourself?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    maybe 1200 cals is too little for you?
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    How long have you been unable to lose weight? Are you just referring to your gain this week? We need more details. If you have 104 lbs left to lose 1200 calories is probably too little for you. And it would really help if you open your diary to the public temporarily :)
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? If not you may be retaining a ton of water weight...
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Are you taking your measurements? My natural cycle based on my logging is that I lose a few pounds, stay at that weight for a week or so, gain a little back, but lose inches, then start the cycle again. 1200 calories may be too low for you too. It is not a magic number. I am 5'4'' and shooting for more calories than that.
  • krl523
    krl523 Posts: 53
    Options
    Good Morning,
    Well first you shouldn't say that you are not able to lose weight...because if you don't beleive that you can and will, then you won't :)
    Are you pushing yourself when you work out and how long are you working out? What types of food are you eating?
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Why are you at 1200 calories? If you have 104 lbs to lose, then even for a reasonable goal of 1-2 lbs. loss per week, you're going to need more than that.

I would recommend using MFPs guided goal setter to help you set a reasonable amount of calories per day. Then you can fine tune the percentages of carbs vs. protein and good fat once you have the number of calories you need.

When I first started, I was eating 1200 calories per day and was soooo frustrated because I wasn't losing anything. Then, I added more calories and the weight started coming off. I tuned my carbs to 45% of my daily calories (although I usually stay around 35-40%), and it's been very sustainable.

I think the key to any permanent weight loss is to be reasonable and realistic. You need a plan that you can keep with for the rest of your life without feeling like you're torturing yourself.

Good luck to you!
  • Arynamber
    Arynamber Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    It looks like you eat a lot of cheese.. for some people that really works against them. Also try to stay away from beef and any fried food. Sometimes going low carb works for some people.. but you still have to look at what type of food you are taking in. For the most part it looks like you are eating pretty well... but stay away from things that say "fat free" etc, and avoid salt. all that processed chemical crap is not good for you. Eat as clean as possible (natural food from the earth, unprocessed) also water water water water.. and drink green tea three times a day (which has helped me).
    ALso MEASURE .. could be that you are gaining muscle. Plus if its your TOM or right before it that could be why you see weight gain (i see 3-5 added pounds around that tom for me)
    Eat when you are hungry, stop when full, your body is super smart so listen to it (best advice Ive ever gotten). ALso what works for me.. is only eating most carbs before noon.. .some will say its BS but hey, thats honestly how my body works

Also, although sometimes it IS a medical issue, you should be able to loose weight. I have HUGE thyroid issues.. but I am still loosing.. just makes it harder
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    1. Stop counting calories. Eat your proteins and fats. I guarantee you'll be eating more than 1200 calories and THAT IS OKAY! Your body will know when it needs more and when it's had enough.
    2. Keep your carbohydrates minimal and from vegetables and rare fruits. No more fries :P
    3. Throw your scale out the window and leave it.
    4. Eat when you're hungry. Stop when you're full.
    5. Who cares about your #...focus on feeling great and healthy. Your weightloss is just an added bonus.
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    and if you can, have your thyroid checked...more than the typical test...

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2011/10/thyroid-tune-up-checklist/
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Only on the internet do I see people gain weight while not eating enough....if I ever come across a study I'll be sure to post it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Schedule the doc appt.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Either you are underreporting your food intake (which is VERY common - a lot of people don't log condiments, drinks, underestimate serving sizes, "forget" certain items, etc) or something is wrong medically. I would make that doctor appt. Nobody should be gaining 6 lbs in 2 weeks on 1200 calories.

And people, "starvation mode"? Really? Really?? 6 lbs gain in two weeks! Where would the extra 21,000 calories come from when she's on a 1200 cal/day diet? Anyone? Please, I really want to know.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Check those peachy thyroid levels. If the TSH is 3-4, that's subclinical hypothyroidism. I was treated for hypothyroid and kept at trhat level, and felt like %^&^$% until finally upping the meds last month.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    It would be helpful if you would make your diary public
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Only on the internet do I see people gain weight while not eating enough....if I ever come across a study I'll be sure to post it.

This:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/you-are-not-different.html

"In short: you can’t beat thermodynamics anymore than anything else in the universe. You. Are. Not. Different. You can’t gain bodymass unless your energy intake exceeds your energy output because you can’t make something out of nothing (muscle or fat). And you can’t lose bodymass unless your energy intake is less than your energy ouput. These are rules that every system in the universe has to follow, including the human body. Nature’s rules, not mine to quote the all-knowing Mr. Miyagi. We may not like them, but we have to live by them anyway."

Couple of things to note:
    1. Learn how to count calories
    2. Once you learn how to count, eat 1500 calories per day at your weight
    3. Eat your carbs
    4. Lift weights!
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    <trying to hit all the questions>

1200 is just where mfp put me.

i estimate, though after years of it i am fairly good, and any deviation would not be much as i try to over estimate.
    so if anythign would not add more than 100 for an off count, still puts my daily cals pretty low.

i havent had a tom in 2 years, though way behind on my shot. better get that before man comes to town in two weeks.

i do lift weights and do cardio and yes push myself hard, have not been able to as much as usual lately (changes in schedule)

my thyroid has to date tested fine, despite the fact that i do have several symtoms. on dr was going to try my on meds after an infection , didnt see him again. moved.

never really addressed it with anyone else i am bad about going to doctor only when about dying. not for checkups.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    i weigh everything i eat at home to the gram or ounce. it maybe adds 15 seconds to my total prep time. and 90% or more of the meals i eat a week are prepared at home.

ill be doing this for the full year that i estimate it will take to get me within close range of my goal. at that point ill start trying to eyeball things.
  • Cathleenr
    Options
    any idea on what can cause a complete inabillity to lose weight.

i have been staying around my 1200 for the past week or so, this week i have gained atleast 3 pounds, and about the same the week before. i also shoot for under 25 carbs, dont always make it ,but never over 50grm (still considered low carb)

i had blood work 6 months ago including thyroid, every thing was peachy ( including impovements on sugar and chol.)

i am at whits end, and considering a doc appt.

and am looking at possibility to toss at her if she does not think of them

:0 under 25 grams of carbs??? a Day??
    holy cow.
    who put you on a low carb diet? and what do the rest of your macros look like? if you are getting 1200 calories, they are from either proteins (hm) or fats (with the cheese in your diary, which isn't public anymore...thats a problem).
    if you lift weights and do cardio.....and are not losing weight in a calorie deficient diet, then you are no "pushing" yourself.
    post your workout also. there is something really off here and it isn't a mysterious disease.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    oh i have been basically stuck around this weight since about the begining of the year, i lose a bit and gain it right back.

i probably have lost 50 pounds but its all been the same 8-10 pounds over and over.

before that i had lost 50 pounds in 4 months.

few years ago i did the same, got to just below this point (but didnt start as high) came to this brick wall, stayed the same for so long , and gave up.

i dont want to just give up, i want to get where i a can atleat be healthy and happy, even if i cant get down to hot chick (as my son would say ) level