Feeling sick after working out?

Options
Lately I have been feeling physically sick, almost to the point of throwing up and very weak after working out. Any idea why? A friends suggested that my sugar level was dropping and I needed to eat something small before and after I work out. I can eat before the workout, but I feel too sick to my stomach to eat anything after for a while, like and hour at least. What is this and how do I stop it? I hate this weak, shaky feeling and it really unmotivates me to work out! I have tried eating before a workout, mostly protein and carbs. I have tried not eating for at least an hour before a workout...same results. Still feel sick.

Replies

• cwglosin4vaca
    cwglosin4vaca Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Id like to know too cuz I get that feeling. Esp the shakey feeling after the 30 day shred and the sick feeling after running
  • reba971
    Options
    Hello? Anybody? Wow, you could hear crickets chirping in here!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I get this especially after a hard run. It's incredibly common, and theories are as common as sufferers - Google "exercise induced nausea".

A big factor seems to be getting your hydration right - overhydration can be as bad as underhydration for nausea.

There's quite a thorough analysis here:
    http://triathlon.competitor.com/2009/07/nutrition/combating-exercise-induced-nausea_3140

Personally, overheating is a big factor for me, I feel worse the redder in the face I get! A long cool-down and stretch and a shower that gets gradually cooler seem to help, as does eating very soon after I workout, even if I don't feel like it.

Good luck!
  • reba971
    Options
    Thanks! I did Google it but most of what I read was from big time weight lifters, or people who are training for something and really pushing their already healthy bodies. I am overweight and trying really hard to lose but not pushing it extremely hard, in my opinion. I do push hard in spurts, then go slow for a few, then fast again and so on, but nothing extreme! I will check out that link, thanks!