13.1...Finally

Options
http://www.mapmyfitness.com/routes/fullscreen/56335268/

Just wanted to post a map of my run last night. I ran 13.1 which is the equivalent of a half marathon. I had no intent of doing it, but after I did the first 5 miles, I decided to go for it. I finished in a time of 2:31:01 which gave me a pace of 11:31/mile. Now this was major for me, and I understand that there are many people who can do a complete marathon in less time...and God Bless You for it. I just want to motivate and encourage those who think they cannot move. The only limitations we have in life is what we place on ourselves. As long as we keep telling ourselves we cannot, then we won't. We must always believe we can. It is said that we can live 2 minutes without air, 2 days without water, and 2 weeks without food, but cannot go 2 seconds without hope/faith/confidence. I challenge you all to keep moving. Five minutes 6 times a day will give you 30 minutes of exercise. Walking/running is not only easy, but it is free. It is as simple as puttingone feet n front of the other and moving the hip muscles. There is even a category for paraplegics to compete in marathons, so I don't want to hear that excuse about you being in a wheelchair. I don't expect you to go 13.1, but I know you can do 0.1 for now. Then next week, go for 0.2. By next year this time, you will be much further along. If this old guy can do it, anyone should be able to do it. In the words of my good friend Roe, Keep Moving Forward My Friends....

Replies

• 500lbs2marathon
    500lbs2marathon Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    You are the man!!
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    You ARE the man :) way to go!
  • elissascotland
    elissascotland Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! So inspirational!! Great job :)
  • Suzymo3
    Suzymo3 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That is a great accomplishment! You should be proud of yourself, keep up the hard work and you'll be running a marathon in no time.
  • TheCats_Meow
    TheCats_Meow Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Love this!

Thanks so much for the inspiring words!!!
  • mrssavvysteve
    mrssavvysteve Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    What an inspiring story! I am so happy that you shared!! My husband and I are walking our first marathon for St Jude December 3rd this year. Half jokingly the other day I told someone that if I am the last person across the finish line it wont matter to me, I will have finished. While that's half true, half of me is scared to be the last person, but I just want to finish it!

Thanks for sharing.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your accomplishment! Thank you for taking the time to put life into perspective! Have a great day!
  • tamaranash
    tamaranash Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing you do rock!!!!!!!!! I love running and I do 7km/5km/10km/7km in my week.. and the 10 is hard!!!!!!!!!!!! So good job! Keep up the good work!!!!!
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Way to go! My first of hopefully many will be March 4, 2012. The time doesn't matter, finishing does (and for a first timer, 11:30mile is awesome!). I'm around a 14 minute mile right now, which would give me a finishing time of almost exactly 3 hours.
  • bwalters82
    Options
    That's really awesome man! There's nothing like that feeling!
  • ChristinaK42
    Options
    nice job on your run and that is also a great time. Thanks for the inspirational posting. AWESOMENESS
  • henney16
    henney16 Posts: 288
    Options
    Great work E - nice job! You sir are an inspiration!
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    The only time that counts is the time you spend with those you love.

Times for 5K's, 10K's, Half Marathons, and Marathons are irrelevant. Accomplishments are relevant.

Enjoy your success!!
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I needed that. I have made some progress by walking just a little bit in the beginning (one block) and today I walked almost an hour. No running for me, ever, but I am making progress a little bit at a time. You are an inspiration.