Constant Craving

Options
I've mentioned this a few times in previous threads - regarding the issue of emotional eating, binge eating, cravings, etc.

I've been reading two books by Doreen Virtue:

'Constant Craving'
'The Yo-Yo Diet Syndrome'.

It addresses the issues PURELY on an emotional and psychological basis, even spiritually as well (although if you are like me and not that spiritual, feel free to skip that part. Even then, it's only a small amount - the rest talks about the foods themselves, and what kind of chemical reactions it has, which hormones they trigger, the feelings behind them, etc)

They also suggest getting to the ROOT of the emotion. Tactics like going for a long run, brushing teeth, etc, don't address this - its like sticking a plaster on a wound, it only COVERS the wound up - it doesn't actually HEAL them. Same with food, sometimes your mind just bypasses the emotion ENTIRELY and goes straight to a food craving - hence sometimes you don't even know WHY you are eating - what you are feeling!

Here's a brief overview:

The certain food craving suggest a certain emotion:

Chocolate = a need for love and affection :brokenheart:
Salty, crunchy = anger and frustration :explode:
Dairy = sadness, depressive :cry:
Spicy, hot food = boredom, a need for excitement :drinker:
Nutty = a need for fun and play :tongue:
Other sweets, candy, cakes = reassurance and pleasure :flowerforyou:
Carbs, breads = a need for comfort and calm (most affective when combined with dairy ie pizza, cheese on toast) :frown:
Liquid, ie coffee and alcohol = pick-me-up, energy boosting :yawn:
High-fat, stodgy = to fill a void, emptiness :sick:

The books suggest keeping a log or diary for a month, seeing which foods you crave and then writing down which events triggered an emotion:

For instance = argument with someone = anger, frustration = craving for something crunchy like crisps/potato chips. Or = monotonous day at work = boredom = craving for a spicy meal like Mexican, Indian, Chinese, etc. Or = hurtful event = sadness = craving for a pizza, as it combines dairy (sadness) with carbs (comfort and seeking reassurance)

They are definitely eye openers, and if you have a tendency to comfort or binge eat, I would highly recommend reading them.

4lbs loss so far since reading them....only a couple of weeks ago!

Replies

• Cinbeth
    Cinbeth Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting! I like Doreen Virtue books and found it really interesting the part about what eat food represents feeling wise. I'm going to check out those books too.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Wow! That's fascinating! I'm going to have to take this under consideration next time I reach for a snack :D
    Thanks for sharing!
  • princess_tia
    Options
    I am always craving for chocolates....I need love and affection :sad:
  • Booboo78
    Booboo78 Posts: 169
    Options
    I've been craving chocolates for the past couple of days, onset of PMT - hormone fluctuations are making me feel all sorts of emotions :mad: :laugh: :sad: :yawn: <---- in no particular order