Should I up my daily calorie intake?

Options
I'm currently on 1200 calories a day. I have set my weight loss to 1.5 lbs a week, changed it from 2 lbs/week a week or two ago after losing some weight. I have at least 9kg (20lbs) to go before I reach my goal weight, currently weigh 76.2kg (168 lbs) and am 1.68m (5'6") tall. I workout at least 6 days a week, I try to go over an hour doing cardio and strength training exercises and usually burn about 500-600 calories during a workout session. I've been steadily losing weight (though I might be losing muscle as well D:) so I don't mind it. However, I find that I always feel tired and lethargic, and my nails are weak etc. I'm guessing it's probably from not eating enough, since I don't eat my exercise calories. If I do eat them, I only eat a tiny amount... Maybe 100-200 calories at most, but that rarely happens. I've read so many threads on eating back exercise calories and all that, so I was wondering if I should give it a try. If not, should I increase my daily calorie intake from 1200? And if so, how much would you recommend? Thanks in advance. (:

Replies

• Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Eat your exercise calories!

Based on what you said you are starving your body.
  • Megan2Project
    Megan2Project Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Good job keeping in touch with your body!

Since you are feeling those symptoms, then why not have some more calories? Try it and see what works for you, or you could try the zig-zag thing and do one day at 1200 and one day eating your exercise cals. Play with it a little. Everyone is unique and responds to things differently.

I know I have a lot more than you to lose, so you can take that with a grain of salt, but I have been 149lbs before. I kept my cals around 1400, and walked a LOT (2-3 hours per day and up).

You are doing great though so I'd just try upping cals for a week or two (whichever way you choose) and see how you feel! Make sure you're getting enough protien and all your vitamins.

Good luck!! I'm rooting for you!
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Start by eating most, if not all of your exercise calories - especially if you're feeling tired and weak. Honey, you're not supposed to feel that way, feed your body what it needs and you will thrive.

Give it a couple of weeks, try to stay away from the scale when you first start upping your calories. Make sure you're eating enough of your macros and see how you go.

No one knows what is right for another persons body - its a lifelong experiment. But feeling tired and weak is your body telling you something...

...listen to it and best of luck

xx
  • B2BB
    B2BB Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I would initially be cautious and gradually increase since you have been at 1200 for a while. Not to much to fast, but you should not be ok with losing muscle. It's what keeps us strong and healthy, and the mire muscle you have the more calories you burn on a daily basis:)
  • Keran24
    Keran24 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You might want to have a blood count checked. The symptoms you are describing are consistant with iron deficient anemia. If that's your problem just take a multivitamin with iron and an iron supplement. You will feel better.
  • LisaMariaCallow
    Options
    I would say you should eat more, whether you increase your calories or eat back your exercise calories. I started out right about where you are now (I'm 5' 5" & my starting weight was 150 lbs) and I was on 1200 calories-I stayed at that until I hit my goal. I was sometimes really hungry,mainly when I went to bed, and upon waking in the morning. If you're really hungry and your nails are thinning, you probably should increase what you eat. It may slow down your weight loss, but it'll be fat you lose and not muscle.

Good luck! :drinker: (that's me doubling down the coffee)
  • Segrande
    Options
    I've had blood work done recently, things seem to be fine. Plus, my multivitamin has 150% the recommended daily intake of iron so I don't think it's that. :3
    You might want to have a blood count checked. The symptoms you are describing are consistant with iron deficient anemia. If that's your problem just take a multivitamin with iron and an iron supplement. You will feel better.

I guess will try eating some of my exercise cals back, but will stick to the 1200 on days I don't exercise. Thanks for the help! (:
  • vballscriscuolo
    vballscriscuolo Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem sort of.....my calorie intake is the same, set at 1,200/day, plus whatever excercise calories.....I knwo for me personally if I don't eat my exercise calories, I get tired and super hungry.......I think you had wrote that you get almost lethargic after workouts.....so as a previous MFP member wrote, your definitely int touch with your body.

I go with what my body tells me....if I'm hungry then I eat something...not too much but alittle something to get me going. I wouldn't suggest changing your regular calorie intake since that't what seems to be working for you, but on days that you exercise it is recommended I think that you eat your exercise calories or at least close to them.

For example you have 1,200/day limit and say you burned 800 calories...in all reality your body is only taking in the 400 difference which is very low. you should try and eat your exercise calories...it will give you the extra boost you need so your not feeling tired and "lethargic" throughout the day! Good luck and great job losing!! :flowerforyou:
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    However, I find that I always feel tired and lethargic, and my nails are weak etc.