After a long run, what do you do?

Options
Yesterday, I ran for a long time. Unlike Forrest Gump, I did not just stop and go back home...lol. I have been doing some research on what to do the days following. First of all, I already broked the rule of not drinking afterwards, as I had a glass of Moscato last night. I see a lot of people drink beer afterwards and since I do not like beer, I am very curious as to what you runners do the days following a long run...10 miles or more. Just looking for suggestions...thanks guys.

Replies

• 500lbs2marathon
    500lbs2marathon Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk is good right after a long run, 3/1 Carb to Protein ratio and yummy!
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Drink wine
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    drink lots of water and rest
  • ChristinaK42
    Options
    First: I smile REAL big!! I never run the day after unless I'm chasing kids. Don't really do anything different than a short run, just make sure I get plenty of fluids and eat a protein snack when I am done.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    protein fruit smoothie, water, shower, rest, and i eat something with some protein about two hours later.
  • elizamc
    elizamc Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Have a Hi-protein bar, though I'm not running 10k yet I find it takes away my post-run munchies in one fell swoop.... :-D
  • elsham
    elsham Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I sit on my butt with ice cold water in one hand and a remote control in the other.

On a more serious note: I like the chocolate milk idea, but I hate milk so I tend to have lots of peanut butter throughout the rest of the day. And stretch. I stretch at various times throughout the rest of the day, otherwise my legs feel like compressed tree trunks the next day.
  • WildflowerAL
    WildflowerAL Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Eat a snack--almonds, hummus, skinny bagel with light cream cheese, pretzels, peanut butter are a few of my favorites. I just drink water--I would rather eat my calories then drink them.
  • ddoohaluk
    ddoohaluk Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    If I am reading your post correctly, you are looking for advice on how to train the following days. For me, I usually have a short shake out run the next day following my long runs (for me long runs are 15-20 miles). The shake out run is easy and is usually 45-60 minutes in length. Often times, two days after is a rest or no running day (but maybe swimming or strength) depending on where I am in my training. And then by 3 days after, I am back to my normal training routine.

Another thing I find helpful after long runs when my legs are feeling really heavy and sore are ice baths. The water does not need to be below freezing as research has shown anything under 50 or so is sufficient. I usually fill the tub with cold water, dump water ever ice i have in the ice maker, and then get in and sit for 15 minutes or so. It really only sucks for the first 30 sec or so and then you are too numb to notice. But you will feel great afterwards.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    If your body needs something, then feed it. If not, do whatever you would normally do.

Personally, after a big race the absolute LAST thing I want to do is think about eating or drinking anything.

I will say this though... I think there's a big difference between giving your body what it needs post race and saying, "I just ran a bazillion miles, I think I deserve a beer and some wings." Deserving is not the same as fueling.
  • rbvaudrizle
    rbvaudrizle Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I use "the stick" (thestick.com) to loosen the tight muscles in my calves and especially my I.T. bands. I now never worry about tightness the next day or cramps.
  • Amanda_Runs
    Amanda_Runs Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Protein shake or a protein rich food within 30-60 minutes of when I finished running
    Extra Water with a Nuun tablet
    Use my foam roller
    ice my bad knee
    shower
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I walk around to stop myself getting still. Sleep more than usual, often have a drink in the evening after a long run, STRETCH, very opportunity. Eat a lot of greek yoghurt.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Depends on how it went... My long runs are usually Sunday mornings and usually in the neighborhood of 13-15 miles. This requires a pretty strict regiment in keeping moving afterwards.

My routine looks something like this;

-10 minutes cool down walk (while drinking chocolate milk)
    -15 minutes static stretching.
    - Hot shower (wife mandated cuz I get smelly :tongue: )
    - Lunch consisting of peanut butter and banana sandwichs, chocolate milk (occasionally with a shot of Kahlua) and an apple.
    - 10 minutes foam roller/ the Stick
    - 15 minutes ice packs on trouble spots (knees/ankles)

Later in the day I will go for a 20-30 minute walk with the dog to loosen things up again.

PS. The chocolate milk and Kahlua is great warmed up on a bitter winter day.
  • jessicamckay13
    Options
    Walk for a few minutes to cool down. Lots of water on the drive home and usually a protein bar. At home I have hot chocolate or homemade mocha. (I don't like milk but hot chocolate? Yes, please!) Then I get in a way-too-hot shower. Then I spend the rest of the day eating every hour or two. I don't know if it's my body type or if everyone is that way, but if I don't eat all freaking day long, I am down for the count. I usually take the next day off but sometimes will do an easy couple miles. Then, back to usual routine :)

I think it really depends on how you feel though. Not hungry? Don't eat. Starving? Go for it! Just make sure you get enough water :)
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Hmmm.... Well, I agree with the person who said the last thing they think about is food or drink. Nothing kills my appetite like a long run, (anything over 10 miles I guess). It takes a long time for me to be hungry. Having said that, I usually force some Athletes Honey Milk. Then I roll out on my foam roller, use the stick and get into an ice bath, then a warm shower. I try my best to eat those exercise cals, but it's hard. I don't drink alcohol, it's never appealed to me on a long run day. I do try to eat something that I've been thinking about all week. Seems like a good day to indulge. This last Sunday I had a waffle and some ice-cream. I still didn't eat all of my cals though.

The following day I ride my bike for a recovery ride, usually about 30-60 minutes. The day after that it's back to my normal running schedule.
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    I find it interesting that a number of people have said eat protein. All the articles I have read has said to eat (or drink) something high in carbs with a little bit of protein. I generally drink some gatorade during my post run walk then a ReGen (chocolate milk works too. I just like that it doens;t need refridgeration) after I stretch. It takes me a couple of hours before I can look at anything solid so I generally just have apple sauce or some such if I get hungry and eat more the next day since I normally run in the evening.

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/Three_steps_to_long-run_recovery__chow__chug_and_chill.htm
    http://www.nomeatathlete.com/post-workout-recovery/
    http://www.active.com/images/activeTrainer/ff8e3a24-c6b0-426d-bfce-ea153d4b624dHalf_Marathon_Recovery_Tips.pdf
  • Protein/carb refuel, ice bath, water
  • jessicamckay13
    Options
    I find it interesting that a number of people have said eat protein. All the articles I have read has said to eat (or drink) something high in carbs with a little bit of protein. I generally drink some gatorade during my post run walk then a ReGen (chocolate milk works too. I just like that it doens;t need refridgeration) after I stretch. It takes me a couple of hours before I can look at anything solid so I generally just have apple sauce or some such if I get hungry and eat more the next day since I normally run in the evening.

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/Three_steps_to_long-run_recovery__chow__chug_and_chill.htm
    http://www.nomeatathlete.com/post-workout-recovery/
    http://www.active.com/images/activeTrainer/ff8e3a24-c6b0-426d-bfce-ea153d4b624dHalf_Marathon_Recovery_Tips.pdf

I eat a protein bar because it's something I can toss in the car and eat on the way home. I run on an empty stomach (experimenting with long run fuel right now) and am STARVING when I am done. A regular granola bar just doesn't cut it for me. But yes, I've read high carbs and small protein after a longer run as well.
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestion guys. I think they are all awesome ideas. I myself usually am not hungry after a long run so I usually don't eat much, and because my intestines seem to be in knots, I usually stay away from too much liquids. I am gonna do a short 2-4 miles today walking and then get back to normal tomorrow. Thanks again for all the input.