Body Composition Scales

Options
Hi everyone,

I know that body comp scales are not perfectly accurate, but I was wondering if anyone has one that they really like and would recommend. I like the idea of the scales that do body fat, muscle mass, etc., so if you have one that you find is consistent for you and your body please post the make and model.

Thanks!

J

Replies

• hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Taylor from walmart. Fairly cheap.
  • hersheygirl09
    hersheygirl09 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i have one from ww that i love. my mom has the same one and we are both really happy with it.

i think it's made by conair. i got it at target
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I bought the Omron Body Composition Scale from the Costco website, about $65 (Amazon has it too, same price). I don't know how accurate it is, but at least if it's inaccurate, it's consistent. I wouldn't believe the muscle mass, body fat % is 100% accurate, the way to know that, is to get measured in a dunk tank.

But at least it's a way to have a baseline and then as you lose weight and gain muscle you can see it measurable.

My friend who is a trainer/therapist got the "Tanita BC-558 Ironman" scale. It's much more expensive, but it measures the fat/muscle for each appendage (arms, legs, torso). There must be a difference between a $65 scale and a $350 scale right?

Anyway, it's cool to have, but I only really use it as a scale, then when I lose some weight I check my body fat/muscle etc. Otherwise, those number don't really change on a day to day basis like your weight does.

I would say, unless you're an athlete, you'd be fine with the cheaper Omron scale (Omron makes a lot of consumer medical devices as well, they're a trusted brand).

- Mike
  • forhahas
    Options
    I was looking at the Omron so this is very helpful. Thanks Mike!!!
  • Biggipooh
    Options
    Tanita Scales are very good.
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    i have a Salter and so far I have been happy with it.
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but the only test that's 100% accurate is an autopsy.

The dunk test has error as well. Calipers have error too.

I have a 6 year old body fat scale, Go Walking by Sportline and a soon to be 3 month old Omron Body Fat Handheld Monitor. They both give me the same body fat percentage reading. I've trusted my scale and I just wanted to get a second device, so I've bought the Omron Body Fat Handheld Monitor.

My sister's brand new body fat scale gave me a 1% body fat percentage reading difference in July and that was way before I have gotten my Omron Body Fat Handheld monitor.

All these devices are good to track your progress.