Recipe Swap Week 7

Options
inskydiamonds
inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
Recipe swap is a fun group where every week two recipes are shared by our members to be cooked by everyone else in the group!

Recipe Swap Week 6: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/376811-recipe-swap-week-6
If you make a recipe from week 6, please post your review of it on that post.

THIS WEEK nattiec21 AND pixiechick8321 ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR SHARING RECIPES FOR THE REST OF THE GROUP TO MAKE.

Hopefully the recipes are posted today or tomorrow.

1. Sign up by making a post in this thread and I will add you to the member list.
2. Every week there will be TWO recipes/meals submitted by two members. Each member of the community should make the recipe and post their opinions about the recipe/meal, changes they may have made, etc.
3. Each week there will be a new recipe swap post on the MFP boards. This post will be the place that the members responsible for the recipes for the week will post them as well as the place where you should comment about the recipes/meals you cooked. If you make any substitutions or other changes in the recipe, tell us that as well. And by all means, if you take pictures and want to share them, do!

For more information and for the recipes from last week and the member list, check out here: https://docs.google.com/a/u.pacific.edu/document/d/1fqBAaFmtHqOq76VlmyASTE8LX-FnUnYWCYY7QTu6q1o/edit?hl=en_US

Replies

• msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • nattiec21
    nattiec21 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I added this to "Recipes" under 'shine-Lentil and chicken soup'

\Nonstick cooking spray
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 cup coarsely chopped carrots
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
    1 tablespoon snipped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
    4 cups coarsely chopped fresh kale (about 8 ounces)
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon black pepper
    1-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken (about 8 ounces)
    2 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
    1 cup dry red lentils*\

you can also substitute the kale with spinach

1.Coat an unheated large nonstick saucepan with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat over medium-low heat. Add onion, carrots, and garlic to hot saucepan. Cover and cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until vegetables are nearly tender, stirring occasionally.
    Add chicken broth and dried basil (if using) to vegetable mixture. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in kale, salt, and pepper. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
    Stir in chicken, tomato, red lentils, and fresh basil (if using). Cover and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes more or until kale(or spinach) and lentils are tender. Makes 6 servings.
    *NOTE: If you wish to substitute brown or yellow lentils for the red lentils, you'll need to increase the cooking time. Check the package directions for cooking times and add the lentils in Step 2.

according to Myfitnesspal this is a total of 847 calories, 130 carbs, 6 fat, 104 protein.
    Per Serving (6 servings): 141 calories, 22 carbs, 1 fat, 17 protein
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Sounds delicious!
  • cindylee123
    cindylee123 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    yum. I love lentils. I'll make this on Thursday. :)
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    never had lentils........do they taste like a bean?

I try to make a big batch of soup on the weekends so I can eat a cup all week with my lunch.
  • nattiec21
    nattiec21 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had never tried lentils before either, and was a little skeptical about making this, but it was really good. It kinda taste like a bean, you taste more of the other flavors in this.
  • Thirstygirl
    Thirstygirl Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    bump:)
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Here's my recipe, it's rich but oh so good!

Mushroom Risotto:

1 cup chopped mushrooms (or to taste)
    1/2 onion, chopped
    2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
    1 tbsp olive oil
    3/4 cup white wine
    4-5 cups chicken broth (can be cut with water if you desire)
    1 cup risotto rice (arborio is what we use)
    1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
    salt & pepper to taste
    basil and other dried herbs

Put olive oil in large stock pan (something with sides and a lid, non-stick is fine)
    Add mushrooms and cook until nearly caramelized (browned)
    Add onions
    Add garlic

Once these are translucent and well cooked, add wine and cook for two minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add rice and continue to stir until wine is gone. Add seasonings.

Add 2 ladles liquid (~ 1 cup) to rice, stir 2 minutes, then cover and let sit 15 minutes on low heat.

Uncover, stir rice, return to medium heat and add 1 - 2 ladles liquid (~1-2 cups) and stir. Keep adding liquid and stirring until rice is cooked (~8-10 more minutes & a total of 4-5 cups liquid).

Remove from heat, add cheese and stir in.

Serves 4 for a meal or 6 for a side. Add shrimp for protein (boil water, add shrimp, cook until pink, drain). Can also make risotto cakes or balls by making balls, dredging in flour, and either flattening (cake) or cooking as a ball in a bit of oil in a pan on the stove.

Options:
    Use other winter veggies besides mushrooms; sweet potato, dried cranberries, asparagus all hold up well.
    Use chicken stock instead of wine at the start to make non-alcoholic (although most of it does cook out)
    Use a mix of dried herbs to taste - basil is what we use, but oregano, rosemary, chives, and so forth would also be great.

If you don't use all the broth (you want the rice dry, not wet), add veggies and make a soup or freeze it for use in another recipe later (for example, that potato soup recipe posted a few weeks ago...).
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    This is going to be a yummy week!
  • stefnicole
    Options
    Here's my recipe, it's rich but oh so good!

Mushroom Risotto:

1 cup chopped mushrooms (or to taste)
    1/2 onion, chopped
    2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
    1 tbsp olive oil
    3/4 cup white wine
    4-5 cups chicken broth (can be cut with water if you desire)
    1 cup risotto rice (arborio is what we use)
    1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
    salt & pepper to taste
    basil and other dried herbs

Put olive oil in large stock pan (something with sides and a lid, non-stick is fine)
    Add mushrooms and cook until nearly caramelized (browned)
    Add onions
    Add garlic

Once these are translucent and well cooked, add wine and cook for two minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add rice and continue to stir until wine is gone. Add seasonings.

Add 2 ladles liquid (~ 1 cup) to rice, stir 2 minutes, then cover and let sit 15 minutes on low heat.

Uncover, stir rice, return to medium heat and add 1 - 2 ladles liquid (~1-2 cups) and stir. Keep adding liquid and stirring until rice is cooked (~8-10 more minutes & a total of 4-5 cups liquid).

Remove from heat, add cheese and stir in.

Serves 4 for a meal or 6 for a side. Add shrimp for protein (boil water, add shrimp, cook until pink, drain). Can also make risotto cakes or balls by making balls, dredging in flour, and either flattening (cake) or cooking as a ball in a bit of oil in a pan on the stove.

Options:
    Use other winter veggies besides mushrooms; sweet potato, dried cranberries, asparagus all hold up well.
    Use chicken stock instead of wine at the start to make non-alcoholic (although most of it does cook out)
    Use a mix of dried herbs to taste - basil is what we use, but oregano, rosemary, chives, and so forth would also be great.

If you don't use all the broth (you want the rice dry, not wet), add veggies and make a soup or freeze it for use in another recipe later (for example, that potato soup recipe posted a few weeks ago...).

Sounds delicious! I'll definitely be making this one :)
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Bump new thread
  • aneubauer88
    Options
    Please add me to the group/list. I'm excited to learn some new healthier recipes. Thanks!
  • 3dinsv
    Options
    Bump
  • patilee
    patilee Posts: 125
    Options
    bump
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    aneubauer88, adding you!
  • Creaswen
    Options
    I would like to join .... I also need friends on here so if you would like to please read my profile and after that if you still want to be friends please send me an invite.
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    I would like to join .... I also need friends on here so if you would like to please read my profile and after that if you still want to be friends please send me an invite.

adding you in now :)
  • Healthy_Hannah483
    Healthy_Hannah483 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness! BUMP, BUMP, BUMP. I love this thread.
  • pjholcomb
    pjholcomb Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Bump ... please add me!!