Does Body Fat matter?

Options
I know many people have said that if you have little to loose say 20-30lbs as compared to someone with 110lbs, weight loss will be slower. But what about someone who has a very high body fat percentage eg. 30% but only have 20-30 lbs to lose would they lose weight slower too? How do you calculate your calorie deficit then? Still 3500 cals to burn to loose that 1 pound of fat? Im lost with all the calculations:/

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Body fat is what makes it important. If you have a higher body fat percent you will be able to lose faster then someone who is already lean.

And yes still 3,500 calories for the most part
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

Go to the tools section and figure out your BMI:

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle building, and reducing fat. This means it is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode).

This is just a part of it! please read the link above
  • DefiningRaquel
    Options
    Body fat is what makes it important. If you have a higher body fat percent you will be able to lose faster then someone who is already lean.

Thanks i always wondered which was more important :)
  • DefiningRaquel
    Options
    Are you eating enough?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

Go to the tools section and figure out your BMI:

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle building, and reducing fat. This means it is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode).

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

I think i am eating enough though i dont get hungry very often these days. Thanks for the links, ill go check them out :)
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Simply put...LOOK AT My current avatar
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

Thanks i always wondered which was more important :)

Yup! The last 20 is always set by the person. If a 300 lb person wanted to lose 20 lbs vs someone who was 130...it would be much easier for the larger person :]